3db's Great Room (mainfloor townhouse open concept) setup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just one more upgrade for this room and its a sub. Everything else will remain status quo until something breaks.
Nice room and nice setup! What kind of sub are you thinking about?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice room and nice setup! What kind of sub are you thinking about?
Something 2nd hand as everything you see except for the bluray player, the display and the media/usb drive media player is all 2nd hand.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought my last upgrade to my system .... used PSB Subsonic 6 dual ported with a 12" driver to replace the PSB Subsonic 5 in my 2nd system. The Subsonic 5 replaces the Energy XS-8 8" sub in the bedroom. Pictures to follow in a couple of days.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Completed by upgrade on this system. I swapped out the following;

1. RX-V1500 AVR for an RX-V1900 for HDMI
  2. Sony SB-S360 BluRay for an Sony XP-800 4K player
  3. PSB Alpha mains for PSB 400 mains
  4. PSB 100c center channel for PSB 200c center channel
  5. PSB Subsonic 5 for a PSB Subsonic 6.
The AVR, speaker, and subwoofer swaps were all done buying used.

Attachments

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Updated pics of the great room with the new "used" PSB 500 as my mains

Great17.jpg
Great12.jpg
Great13.jpg
Great14.jpg
Great18.jpg
Great15.jpg
Great16.jpg
Great11.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I found some used speaker stands for my PSB 400 that worked in my setup so I swapped them in for the PSB 500 ( previous setup). Before doing that , I saved the YPAO configurations for the 500 in Memory 1 and 3 while Memory 2 and 4 have been setup for the PSB 400. That way I can swap the speakers in and out and rely on the AVR's memory settings instead of having to rerun YPAO again.

Great19.jpg
Great20.jpg

Great21.jpg
Great22.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Still very nice setup - but improved! :)
I bet that sounds sweet.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I swapped the 400s out for the PSB 600 .. The PSB 600 are of the same sries age as the 400s but these look brand new.

Great23.jpg

Great24.jpg

Great25.jpg

Great26.jpg

Great27.jpg

Great28.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Swapped out the PSB 600 with the 800 each sporting dual 8" woofers. These speakers are seriously good speakers even to this day...

Great29.JPGGreat30.JPGGreat31.JPGGreat32.JPG

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like this set up. Much closer to how I enjoy it as opposed to man-cave style of basement home cinema.

So sub is gone, right?

And BTW, 3db, when did you stop believe love is forever? :p
Nope.. speakers are set to small when watching movies still but run full range when listening to music. The sub is behind the sofa in the corner...

Great33.JPG

I didnt stop believing,,,,Its still there to the right of the right speaker. :)

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
nice set up but the room looks like the sound would bounce around all day ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
nice set up but the room looks like the sound would bounce around all day ;)
Actually the sound doesn'tt bounce around at all. That sofa and the unseen oversized chair (can seat two in a pinch) and matching ottoman keep reflections well tamed. The speakers arent near any side walls. Even when playing loud (approaching 90db which I don't do unless I know the neighbours are out) , I detect no smearing of sound due to reflections at all. I thought the room would be very lively but its not all.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Actually the sound doesn'tt bounce around at all. That sofa and the unseen oversized chair (can seat two in a pinch) and matching ottoman keep reflections well tamed. The speakers arent near any side walls. Even when playing loud (approaching 90db which I don't do unless I know the neighbours are out) , I detect no smearing of sound due to reflections at all. I thought the room would be very lively but its not all.
I am glad you are happy with the room.
Peace brother

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude, I am glad you are happy but that room is an acoustical nightmare. Sorry to be the one to break it to you. Someone has too. I tried, am trying to be nice but facts are facts.
Peace brother
You come across as some contrite ahole so stop your BS. I realize the room acoustics arent perfect but they are far from being a nightmare...matter of fact, very litte difference between my basement and this room. Your not here to listen to it so keep your uninformed opinion to yourself.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
You come across as some contrite ahole so stop your BS. I realize the room acoustics arent perfect but they are far from being a nightmare...matter of fact, very litte difference between my basement and this room. Your not here to listen to it so keep your uninformed opinion to yourself.
Peace and Happy Holiday

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis