Best bang for Buck, 11 Channel AVR

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hello All - so I need a dedicated 11 channel AVR for my room - Are my only choices the Denon 6700 and Marantz 8015?

I dont want to go more than I need to - probably up to $2500

It would be pushing all SVS speakers - Ultras, Pinnacle Towers, Elevation Heights and Ultra 16 Sub

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You looking for 11 channels of amp particularly or just processing?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
You looking for 11 channels of amp particularly or just processing?
Sorry I don't understand the question, I always thought a system needed a dedicated AVR to run it - I am new to experimenting with adding multiple units to run different speakers etc

Sorry

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well avrs aren't the only way, you could use a dedicated pre-amp/processor (pre-pro) along with power amps if you wanted an alternate to the avr alone, or you can use pre-outs on an avr for additional amps needed if the processing capability is there. I have an avr suitable for 11ch of processing but only has 9 on board amp channels, I would need to use an external amp to get all 11.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So whats a good pre amp and avr setup to get all 11 channels?

Also I see the pre amp from Marantz MM7025 doesnt have speaker inputs on the back - how do I hook them up?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the 6700 you cite has 11 on board amp channels so that could be stand alone. The 4700 has 9 on board channels of amp but with an external amp can process 11ch.

The Marantz MM7025 is a power amp, the pre-amp would be via the supplied pre-outs on the avr or pre-amp. The speaker terminals on the amp are outputs, not inputs. There are more cost effective amps than these Marantz, they don't need to match by brand but rather are matched by pre-out output level and the amp's sensitivity.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How big is your room? How far are you sitting from the TV?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
This is what I would go with:

The RX-3080 provides 11.2 channels of processing, runs much cooler than Denon/Marantz, has a more advanced DAC and has a Warranty far superior to Denon. It also supports TIDAL and Qobuz, whereas Denon does not support Qobuz with it's apps. Qobuz is $5 a month less and offers higher Res files. The RX-3080 also offers XLR pre-amp outputs that provide a superior connection for a dedicated high power external amp for fronts. It's a step above the Denon/Marantz offerings in several ways.

Units will be shipping in the next 30 days.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

The RX-3080 provides 11.2 channels of processing, runs much cooler than Denon/Marantz, has a more advanced DAC and has a Warranty far superior to Denon. It also supports TIDAL and Qobuz, whereas Denon does not support Qobuz with it's apps. Qobuz is $5 a month less and offers higher Res files. The RX-3080 also offers XLR pre-amp outputs that provide a superior connection for a dedicated high power external amp for fronts. It's a step above the Denon/Marantz offerings in several ways.

I believe Denon/Marantz has created another monster. :D

BTW, I do use those cool XLR balanced connections on my RX-A3080. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought he was just working on commission for you....
There's no need. Yamaha's awesomeness speaks for itself. :D

And I already have people lining up to buy the RX-A3080 locally. :p

Hopefully Yamaha will be releasing the RX-A3080 around mid-Dec just in time for Christmas.

I already instructed my distributor to send those RX-A3080's my way ASAP. :D

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

But with this I have to add extra amp to get extra channels??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But with this I have to add extra amp to get extra channels??
It somewhat boils down to what avr you can get for what price, and if you need to add an amp, which amp at what cost and how will you implement it particularly. The Yamaha only has 9ch of amp so if you want an 11ch setup you'd add an amp. Amps vary in capability/price and might depend what channels you want to use the external amp for with what choices of amp assignment the avr has. Some would put monster amps on for the L/R for 2ch music purposes....some would be happy with a relatively modest amp just for amplification of surrounds not supported by the avr's built in amps....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It somewhat boils down to what avr you can get for what price, and if you need to add an amp, which amp at what cost and how will you implement it particularly. The Yamaha only has 9ch of amp so if you want an 11ch setup you'd add an amp. Amps vary in capability/price and might depend what channels you want to use the external amp for with what choices of amp assignment the avr has. Some would put monster amps on for the L/R for 2ch music purposes....some would be happy with a relatively modest amp just for amplification of surrounds not supported by the avr's built in amps....
if-you-cant-convince-them-confuse-them-quote-1.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis