Streaming audio to receiver, and DAC considerations

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hello All,

As noted in my signature I'm running Marantz SR 7012, 3 Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks, 7.2.4, SVS Ultra Tower, SVS Ultra Bookshelf, SVS Ultra Center, SVS Prime Bookshelf, SVS Prime Elevation, Dual SVS PB2000 for my HT. I'm wondering what the best way to stream audio through this system would be.

I guess I have a few ideas on how I could do this and wonder what the best option would be for optimal quality.

Airplay
Bluetooth
Connect PC to receiver

Please let me know what the best option would be here and why. Preferably, I would like to use my phone, but if airplay or bluetooth will degrade the signal too much then I would just stream using a directly connected PC.

Next issue is my service. I use Tidal, and normally when I'm listening to music it is while I'm working and I use Topping D90 MQA > Topping A90 > Focal Clear. The 7012 is not going to unfold MQA files (save the debate for if it is useless or not for another thread). Is it possible (beneficial) to get another MQA DAC to connect to the marantz to unfold the MQA files?

TIA

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it possible (beneficial) to get another MQA DAC to connect to the marantz to unfold the MQA files?

TIA
Of course, but not sure why you can't use the same one you have now. You only have two ears.:D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Hello All,

As noted in my signature I'm running Marantz SR 7012, 3 Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks, 7.2.4, SVS Ultra Tower, SVS Ultra Bookshelf, SVS Ultra Center, SVS Prime Bookshelf, SVS Prime Elevation, Dual SVS PB2000 for my HT. I'm wondering what the best way to stream audio through this system would be.

I guess I have a few ideas on how I could do this and wonder what the best option would be for optimal quality.

Airplay
Bluetooth
Connect PC to receiver

Please let me know what the best option would be here and why. Preferably, I would like to use my phone, but if airplay or bluetooth will degrade the signal too much then I would just stream using a directly connected PC.

Next issue is my service. I use Tidal, and normally when I'm listening to music it is while I'm working and I use Topping D90 MQA > Topping A90 > Focal Clear. The 7012 is not going to unfold MQA files (save the debate for if it is useless or not for another thread). Is it possible (beneficial) to get another MQA DAC to connect to the marantz to unfold the MQA files?

TIA
The best connection for streaming will always be a computer using UPnP.

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing. This allows the music stream to be forwarded without compression.

As far as whether a QMA DAC will make a notable difference... Probably not. But if you have a desire to try it purchase from a company with a no cost return policy and try it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Airplay
Bluetooth
Connect PC to receiver

Airplay is limited to a 44.1K/16bit transmission format (the same as CDs). If Hi Res audio is supported on the device, like a PC playing Amazon Music HD, the Hi Res audio will be down-sampled to 44.1/16. Personally I think 44.1/16 sounds as good as any human can hear, so I don't care, but some people do.

Bluetooth audio uses lossy codecs, of which there are several. The best is probably aptX HD, which claims to support 48/24 output, but it's still lossy. I think 24bit word lengths are a gimmick for home audio, it's really intended for recording engineers to expand headroom before distortion in the studio, but some people just like big numbers.

Connecting to a PC I assume will be done via USB, which will support any format the PC and the receiver support, but then you have a PC or laptop and a cable to worry about. If that's not a problem, this is the best option for maximum technical quality. Whether the difference is audible or not is another story.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Of course, but not sure why you can't use the same one you have now. You only have two ears.:D
I don't want to have to spend time moving the DAC back and forth between the office and HT room when I want to use it in the HT room. Buying a second one would be less of a hassle for me.

I'm not sure how I would hook it up and bypass the onboard DAC though.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I don't want to have to spend time moving the DAC back and forth between the office and HT room when I want to use it in the HT room. Buying a second one would be less of a hassle for me.

Multichannel analogue input with pure direct or direct sound modes. Which means no sub though. Might sound basically the same even if going normal stereo mode to get subs, but thats down to personal taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Multichannel analogue input with pure direct or direct sound modes. Which means no sub though. Might sound basically the same even if going normal stereo mode to get subs, but thats down to personal taste.

I'm just looking for stereo, not multichannel.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I'm just looking for stereo, not multichannel.
Yes, but i mean the 7.1 multichannel input, just connect to the front L and R RCA inputs, the other inputs do go through the ADC/DAC processing.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Yes, but i mean the 7.1 multichannel input, just connect to the front L and R RCA inputs, the other inputs do go through the ADC/DAC processing.

So it's PC > D90 > 7012 > towers, and this will bypass the onboard dac in the 7012. Will this work having the D90 in pure DAC mode? (or whichever MQA dac I get, probably won't shell out another $900). I'm assuming yes it shouldn't make a difference. I'm not really techy with audio stuff, if you couldn't tell already.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I don't hardwire my streaming to my avr. If the router were closer perhaps, but it isn't and I'm not tearing into the walls to wire it. I use DLNA (its more about DLNA than UPnP altho they're somewhat intertwined) over wifi connections with a variety of gear and its fine quality-wise. Personally I would just use Qobuz if I really felt the need for hi-res files, so I didn't have to fuss with the lossy MQA codec or special dacs, but I'm fine with Spotify and my own ripped-to-flac collection for my streaming purposes. While bluetooth is nice....its more for my truck than home systems.

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
So it's PC > D90 > 7012 > towers, and this will bypass the onboard dac in the 7012. Will this work having the D90 in pure DAC mode? (or whichever MQA dac I get, probably won't shell out another $900). I'm assuming yes it shouldn't make a difference. I'm not really techy with audio stuff, if you couldn't tell already.
Yes, but need to use the 7.1 analogue inputs and direct mode on the marantz. (Im not 100% sure thats all analogue through on your specific model but it is on many marantz models)

Yes use it as a pure DAC, you dont want to double up on the pre-amp part with two volume controls.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Is it not better to hook a laptop directly to the receiver?
With Audirvana you can use UPnP with a cable connected between the receiver and the computer or also use a wifi connection. Both work fine.

Audirvana has a cool feature that allows you to control the computer connected directly to the receiver remotely via iPhone or iPad. It's a very cool way to direct connect a computer server but have remote playback - especially with a high quality DAC.

However, most the time I use UPnP over wireless as it works amazingly well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Okay I didn't know you are talking about two systems in different locations. To bypass the 7012's DAC, you have to connect the external DAC outputs to the 7012's analog inputs and use direct or pure direct modes. You can still use the subwoofers.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Everyone has their preference, but I think MQA isn't that important. Lossless is much better.

You would probably just waste money just trying to get MQA to be an option. Not every song on tidal is MQA, which makes it even more wasteful. Next, not all MQA are even that superior to lossless and there is another reason why you should probably avoid the entire matter all together.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Hello All,

Airplay
Bluetooth
Connect PC to receiver

TIA
Why don't you just use HEOS? I run Amazon Prime HD through heos on my sr7012

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ya might just consider a stereo and a multi-channel system in same room. With the appropriate 2.1 Preamp & DAC you will have full bass management. Buy the Parasound P6 and you will also have an input for your front left and right stereo channels from your HT system to enjoy the HT system in stereo or multi- channel with complete bass management and better mains amplification, using the stereo system's power amp.

Last edited:
M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Ya might just consider a stereo and a multi-channel system in same room. With the appropriate 2.1 Preamp & DAC you will have full bass management. Buy the Parasound P6 and you will also have an input for you front left and right stereo channels from your HT system to enjoy the HT system in stereo or multi- channel with complete bass management and better mains amplification, using the stereo system's power amp.
Yup either way. I would only suggest two things, you can buy an airport express 20-40 and use air play. I got a pair of speakers in my living room area and I bought one and it works great, just like AirPlay with Heos/Marantz

or the next best thing Pi2AES streamer[290], better than most 1000 dollar streamers or you can also do Andover audio song bird[129] but only use optical

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hey all, rehashing this thread.

I just received a second D90 and ready to hook it up to my receiver. I think a new question is if I hook this up, is there a way that the D90 can do all of the signal processing rather than the onboard DAC in the 7012? This would be YTTV, netflix, Blu Ray player, etc.

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis