Should I upgrade my receiver?

B

Brentlee24

Enthusiast
In my home theater i have a couple Polk signature s60s, s35 center and other surround speakers. and a svs pb 1000. I use the 60s and svs sub for music and it sounds good. I have a cheap Onkyo tx-nr585 that was 250$. My question is there really a noticeable difference if I upgraded to let's say a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 for 1200 dollars or would that be a waste of money.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Unless you're pushing your receiver past its limits causing it to shut down then

Waste of Money

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah do it! But umm good luck trying to find a a1080 new or used. No but really I'd want a AVR with a few more bells and whistles.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
If you want to make an improvement in sound quality the number one place to get it done is with speakers. Otherwise you really should hold on to your money because you won't hear any difference at all.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
In my home theater i have a couple Polk signature s60s, s35 center and other surround speakers. and a svs pb 1000. I use the 60s and svs sub for music and it sounds good. I have a cheap Onkyo tx-nr585 that was 250$. My question is there really a noticeable difference if I upgraded to let's say a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 for 1200 dollars or would that be a waste of money.

Whatever you get in the future, just don't get a Denon. It will be downgrade in sound quality.

Yes, that Yamaha is pretty strong reciever. Bestbuy has it for $1100. I don't know if they ship to your location.

Link: "Yamaha AVENTAGE 7.2-Ch. Bluetooth Capable 4K Ultra HD HDR Compatible A/V Home Theater Receiver with Amazon Alexa Built-in Black RX-A1080BL - Best Buy" https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-aventage-7-2-ch-bluetooth-capable-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-with-amazon-alexa-built-in-black/6233406.p?skuId=6233406

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

Brentlee24

Enthusiast
If you want to make an improvement in sound quality the number one place to get it done is with speakers. Otherwise you really should hold on to your money because you won't hear any difference at all.
So the Polk signature s60 isn't a good speaker?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Whatever you get in the future, just don't get a Denon. It will be downgrade in sound quality.

You still haven’t shown any metrics to prove that.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What's that smell? :confused: Did the Yamaha folk drag the dead horse from the other thread in here?:eek:

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Everytime I see this comment, it gives me a hint of someone trolling.

There's no way you can actually measure a sound. It's your ears that tell you what is good, & what isn't good.

Ok, I'll explain to you in brief with what one might experience on Denon recievers:

1) Even after succesful calibration, the sound is thin and lifeless, especially the center channel.
Flat on Denon is almost useless cause it'll just make your speakers bright and sting your ears.

L/R bypass improves bass response but robes away highs.

Reference is well, just reference same as flat but slightly laid back, with little to no bass, and by bass I'm talking about midbass and some mids.

2) There are lots of settings including Dynamic volume, Dynamic eq, offset etc. They just make the sound unatural or worse. It does improve the dialogue tho, but then you're not hearing the way the audio engineers intended for you to here.

Yamaha on the other hand has few and simple settings including dialogue volume, dialogue lift, ypao volume and drc. It's few setting compared to many on denon. Infact I just have to set to ypao volume and correct setting which could be straight or Dolby surround, neural x.

3) The audyssey multieq app works but won't magically make the sound of Denon reciever perfect. Cause an eq cannot compensate for the poor DAC and poor amp section on the reciever.

If your hardware is poor to begin with, no software will be able to fix it.

Yamaha not just has better DAC, but it weights more & therefore has a better amplifier, transformer.
You can actually compare the Denon X3700H and the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 on crutchfield for the weights.
bet that the Yamaha has beefier amp section looking at weights alone eventhough it's a 7.2 reciever.

If you're happy with it, well and good but to me it always sounded poor. No mid punch at all. Overall sound was just like a soundbar with no bass.

Yamaha actually put outs some amazing through my speaker. It's more dynamic with lots of midbass.

Some owners have experienced the same using their expensive denon. Look at the pic below.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. But, you keep throwing poor John Howard under the bus. He didn't ask for this s#%t!:p

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. But, you keep throwing poor John Howard under the bus. He didn't ask for this s#%t!:p
Its not just john, who says this but there are plenty of them. Search the threads and you'll find it. Go to AVforums, avs and the rest. Many have said it, and its turning out to be true, although for me I have switched from Denon to yamaha, I'm experiencing the same.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think I speak for everybody in this joint when I say I don't need to go sniffin' around anymore forums out there. I've already dragged this one down.:p If somebody doesn't like their AVR, no matter what it is, go get a f#%kin' new one. If you don't like the new unit, repeat step one. Maybe ask a friend to recommend something. Just don't ask John Howard! He preferred D#%k Sargent's Darrin.:D

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You'd think capitalizing the D would not have resulted in it being changed to "lord helmet".:rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its not just john, who says this but there are plenty of them. Search the threads and you'll find it. Go to AVforums, avs and the rest. Many have said it, and its turning out to be true, although for me I have switched from Denon to yamaha, I'm experiencing the same.

And people say a lot of things about a lot of things they have little experience with....like you. Certainly a lot of satisfied customers for any brand out there as well as dis-satisfied ones.....

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
And people say a lot of things about a lot of things they have little experience with....like you. Certainly a lot of satisfied customers for any brand out there as well as dis-satisfied ones.....
Little experience, really? Have owned. 2 denons for almost 6 years.

Did you ever own anything apart from Denon? You clearly seem like a Denon Fan boy.

I still have my Denon X2300W, which I'm planning to sell soon. It's collecting dust sitting in my closet.

Now, its the yamaha, which is the new powerhorse.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Little experience, really? Have owned. 2 denons for almost 6 years.

Did you ever own anything apart from Denon? You clearly seem like a Denon Fan boy.

I still have my Denon X2300W, which I'm planning to sell soon. It's collecting dust sitting in my closet.

Now, its the yamaha, which is the new powerhorse.

Have used several brands and models, currently two Denons, an Onkyo and a Sony. I'm sorry Denon hurt you, but its just your experience, not a general one is the point. Personal anecdotes can be amusing....or annoying. You are clearly a Yamaha fan boi now, that's great, I'm really happy for you. Its just another avr....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Now I’m confused. I wonder why my bright Klipsch speakers being driven by my bright Denon 3600 doesn’t sound bright. Hmmm. I might have got a malfunctioning receiver since it sounds great?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis