How would I wire 2 speakers as one?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
As an experiment, I want try my pair of souped-up Minimus 77's as one speaker for a center speaker. How would I do that without changing the impedence and that my amp just sees it as one speaker? If it is possible, I need to know specifically how to wire it. I am no genius, but can follow instructions!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
As an experiment, I want try my pair of souped-up Minimus 77's as one speaker for a center speaker. How would I do that without changing the impedence and that my amp just sees it as one speaker? If it is possible, I need to know specifically how to wire it. I am no genius, but can follow instructions!
The old way was to connect the left + to the + speaker terminal and the right + to the speaker - terminal. That would result in the common information being sent to the speaker and the two channels would be somewhat isolated. Using an L-pad in series helps, too- it not only maintains the 'normal' impedance, it allows altering the center speaker's level.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The old way was to connect the left + to the + speaker terminal and the right + to the speaker - terminal. That would result in the common information being sent to the speaker and the two channels would be somewhat isolated. Using an L-pad in series helps, too- it not only maintains the 'normal' impedance, it allows altering the center speaker's level.
I do not know what an L pad is. Do I connect the two - terminals together?

highfigh

highfigh

I do not know what an L pad is. Do I connect the two - terminals together?
An L-pad is like a volume control, but the way it's wired keeps a relatively consistent impedance, which makes amplifiers happy.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Do I need that for the experiment? I wouldn't know how to hook it up if I had one.

highfigh

highfigh

Do I need that for the experiment? I wouldn't know how to hook it up if I had one.
They come with instructions but the easy way to way to do what you originally asked is to list your other equipment and we could see what you're working with. You really don't need two speakers for a center channel.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
They come with instructions but the easy way to way to do what you originally asked is to list your other equipment and we could see what you're working with. You really don't need two speakers for a center channel.
I want to try it. Just missing the info about what to do with those other speaker terminals.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have Forte II's as mains and a Klipsch Academy for center. I am just not hearing enough dialog whilst watching movies. Yes, settings are fine. I am 60 years old, so it is possible that I am losing some high freqs in my hearing. But not so sure about that. My Minimus 77's have metal cones and M&K tweeters and the output of those suckers is just amazing. I used them as mains 12 years ago when I built them until I discovered Klipsch. Now, they are used as rear surrounds. But.... I thought of an even better plan since I last posted. I have Heresy III's in another room. I will bring one out and try it as a center. If it sounds good, I will see if I can locate one Heresy. Or I will contact Bob Crites about possibly building one Cornscala. I do know that the Minimus 77 plan in the center would make things very incongruent across the front. But I really only wanted to try it as an experiment.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
So, the Heresy III sounds brilliant as a center speaker. So now I am in search of a single Heresy. In the meantime, I have one Minimus 77 in place and it sounds pretty good. I would like to tie in my other one together with it until I find a Heresy. Can someone please help me with my original question? Seems Highfigh got me half-way there and I don't want to guess what to do with the other two speaker terminals. I am assuming there are geniuses here who can help :). Actually, scratch that... I know there are!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I do not advise Hi-Fi's method. It would be OK for tweeters and mids, but not LF or a complete speaker. It will change the Q of the speaker. In addition with modern powers, you are likely to burn out even the most robust L-pad.

So there really is no way to do what you want. If you connect the speakers in series you will double the impedance and halve your power output compared to one speaker. If you connect them in parallel, then you will halve the impedance which your amp may not like.

You plan in any event is not sensible. You will be inviting all sorts of comb filtering. Your plan has only downsides and no upsides.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do not advise Hi-Fi's method. It would be OK for tweeters and mids, but not LF or a complete speaker. It will change the Q of the speaker. In addition with modern powers, you are likely to burn out even the most robust L-pad.

So there really is no way to do what you want. If you connect the speakers in series you will double the impedance and halve your power output compared to one speaker. If you connect them in parallel, then you will halve the impedance which your amp may not like.

You plan in any event is not sensible. You will be inviting all sorts of comb filtering. Your plan has only downsides and no upsides.
Well good then. Part of what I wanted to know was if it would change the impedance. So, I'll stick with the one until the Heresy I just found arrives. Thx for the help.

highfigh

highfigh

The L-pad I linked to is rated for 100W and it's wire-wound with ceramic base- I have never seen one fail but if he kills one, I think the SPL would be oppressive. As I wrote, more info was needed to really provide a solution but I posted one possibility- there was no requirement to do it. I also wrote that using one speaker would be enough but now that he has filled in the details, it seems that the level of the center needs to be adjusted.

highfigh

highfigh

I have Forte II's as mains and a Klipsch Academy for center. I am just not hearing enough dialog whilst watching movies. Yes, settings are fine. I am 60 years old, so it is possible that I am losing some high freqs in my hearing. But not so sure about that. My Minimus 77's have metal cones and M&K tweeters and the output of those suckers is just amazing. I used them as mains 12 years ago when I built them until I discovered Klipsch. Now, they are used as rear surrounds. But.... I thought of an even better plan since I last posted. I have Heresy III's in another room. I will bring one out and try it as a center. If it sounds good, I will see if I can locate one Heresy. Or I will contact Bob Crites about possibly building one Cornscala. I do know that the Minimus 77 plan in the center would make things very incongruent across the front. But I really only wanted to try it as an experiment.
It would be much easier to advise if you would post the brand and model of whatever you're using to drive the speakers. Dialog isn't high frequencies, it's mid-range and if the level of the center channel is adjustable, you might try that. If you're using an AV receiver, change the equalization for the center channel to suit any hearing loss you may have.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Well, like I said, I put one of my Heresy III's there just to try it and it was amazing. Powered by a Yamaha RX-A1060 using the calibration mic for set-up. Anyway, the Heresy was so amazing, I knew that if I found one, it would cut the mustard. Found a Heresy II or actually a Klipsch KP-201, which I learned was the pro version of Heresy II. Cool thing here is that the one I found was used in a church for years in the ceiling. NOT HOOKED UP! They thought it was. ha. So according to the seller, I got a basically un-used speaker. He says the cab is a 9.5 out of ten and functionally, it is a 10. No riser, so I ordered an angled one from Bob Crites today. I must also say, I am even more impressed with my Minimus 77's as the one hooked up will definitely cut the mustard until the Heresy (KP-201) arrives. Then they go back to the rear surrounds. Gonna sell my Klipsch Academy center speak.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis