Woofer no longer working Boston Acoustic A150 speakers

S

SteveMcB

Audiophyte
Hi, I have a cherished old set of Boston Acoustic A150 speakers. Perfect condition but the woofer in one cabinet stopped working. It’s not the speaker itself (tested that). So it must be the electric panel in the box. Any suggestions on how to fix or replace??
Thanks much,
Steve - Park City UT without stereo base

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
You removed the woofer and tested it? How did you test?

If you removed the woofer, take pics of inside the cabinet, showing the crossover if you can. If not, take off the back terminal cup, which probably has the crossover connected. Make sure all connections are/were ok. Maybe take pics of that too to share with us so we can make suggestions.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I have a cherished old set of Boston Acoustic A150 speakers. Perfect condition but the woofer in one cabinet stopped working. It’s not the speaker itself (tested that). So it must be the electric panel in the box. Any suggestions on how to fix or replace??
Thanks much,
Steve - Park City UT without stereo base
That is most unusual. It has to be a dry solder joint in the crossover. The inductors are in series with the woofers, and I have never seen a woofer inductor burn out in a crossover. Even is the caps failed in the low pass circuit, it would not make the woofer silent, just produce too much HF.

So yo will have to remove the crossover and test it. They are very simple to service. Remove the crossover and take lots of close up pictures and I will lead you through service and repair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis