Should i replace my Polk S20 with Qaccoustics 3030i

S

sand87

Audioholic
My Ht set up currently is:-

1. Yamaha RX-V685
2. A pair of polk S20 purchased in May 2020(fairly new)

I mainly am a 50% music and 50% streaming(netflix,hotstar etc) person.

I feel i may have been wrong in choosing Polk S20 over the q acoustics seeing the rave reviews the q acoustics get.
While purchasing i had 3 speakers in mind-->Elac Debut B6.2,Q Acoustics 3020i and Polk s20.

I selected polk s20 thinking that the impedance of 8 ohm would be better suited for a mid ranger like RX-v685 but now i think if the Q3030i may give much better sound stage than the Q Acoustics and if i need to sell these off for the Q Acoustics?

What do the people here think?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say its more a lateral move myself looking at each. I'd wait and save up for bigger/better speakers. Are you using a sub with the speakers?

S

sand87

Audioholic
I'd say its more a lateral move myself looking at each. I'd wait and save up for bigger/better speakers. Are you using a sub with the speakers?
not yet.building up slowly.have set my sights on svs pb1000 and bic pl200 II.svs is priced around 1027 usd here in india whereas bic pl200 is proces at around 667 dollars.

The reason for my ques is simple.my plan is to buy a sub and a centre in a couple if weeks and since the centres should match the FL and FR speakers i wanted to check if its wise to move to Qaccoustics seeing the reviews they get and the next to no reviews for polks which i guessed will be due to the much much better sound quality of qaccoustics

and by moving up wat do u suggest.wat did u mean by a lateral move?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't choose speakers just on reviews. Whose reviews? Paid reviews or user experiences? Can't you hear anything before you buy? By basic spec these speakers appear to have more in common than different, thus more a lateral move....altho you could well prefer the sound of one over another but you'd have to go try each out to have an idea.

S

sand87

Audioholic
I wouldn't choose speakers just on reviews. Whose reviews? Paid reviews or user experiences? Can't you hear anything before you buy? By basic spec these speakers appear to have more in common than different, thus more a lateral move....altho you could well prefer the sound of one over another but you'd have to go try each out to have an idea.
ok.
reviews i find on the internet.not watshifi but generally on forums etc etc.dont know if wven they are paid.
regarding auditioning i wud have for aure but there are none close to me.its atleast 5-6 hrs drive and visiting multiple shops.thats why i am banking on the reviews.
found polks having a thin voice or smhw it feels like holding back on music mainly.dont know how to express the feeing.maybe its my lack of subs or smthng but this is wat made me think if the reviews mean the qaccoustics is better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well whatshifi is a pretty silly site so hopefully you wouldn't go by much there. I haven't gone looking for much on these speakers so your research may well be leading you in the right direction, but...

Have no idea what you mean by thin voice...sounds like too many reviews! :) None of these speakers are going to be particularly strong for bass, they're simply too small....but could be fine supported by a sub. I'd get the sub next.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"It’s designed to deliver the biggest, most commanding sound ever achieved by a speaker of this type and price. "

Any manufacturer who makes claims like this- probably not.

S

sand87

Audioholic
"It’s designed to deliver the biggest, most commanding sound ever achieved by a speaker of this type and price. "

Any manufacturer who makes claims like this- probably not.
and who says this ----->POLK!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My non-US located friend who upgraded from old JBL speakers to Q 3050 + 3010 + 3090 5.0 set (Sunfire sub) is very happy with his purchase.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Q Acoustics will be better ... one thing about Q Acoustics is that they throw a good soundstage ... and they do have a decent/nice return policy.

S

sand87

Audioholic
Q Acoustics will be better ... one thing about Q Acoustics is that they throw a good soundstage ... and they do have a decent/nice return policy.
ok so i will try to sell off my polk S20 then.wat shud i go for qaccoustics 3030i or 3020i?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you do change speakers, I'd go with the 3030 due its larger mid woofer....

S

sand87

Audioholic
If you do change speakers, I'd go with the 3030 due its larger mid woofer....
seeing the varied opinions i think i may have to change though as u said i will go for the sub first and only then will i later change it for the qaccoustics or better speakers.who knows maybe floor standers.
i will drop my plan of buying centre speakers as of now.feel sad about this decision as i will have to go on with a 2.1 set up but better than losing money each time selling new stuff or can i mix centres of different companies and the polks?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, I tend to like @zieglj01 speaker recommendations; he has owned quite a few speakers in this range.

What I do and what you do may be very different. I wouldn't ask strangers on the internet what I should do in the first place :) as I tend to make up my mind based on research and keep moving forward from there. In your shoes I'd first get a sub and see if that makes a difference; it should with such small speakers and the lack of low end IMO. YMMV, though. Starting with 2.1 is a very reasonable path, tho.

S

sand87

Audioholic
First, I tend to like @zieglj01 speaker recommendations; he has owned quite a few speakers in this range.

What I do and what you do may be very different. I wouldn't ask strangers on the internet what I should do in the first place :) as I tend to make up my mind based on research and keep moving forward from there. In your shoes I'd first get a sub and see if that makes a difference; it should with such small speakers and the lack of low end IMO. YMMV, though. Starting with 2.1 is a very reasonable path, tho.
well i asked because somehow i felt i dont know how to describe that..a kind of lack of fullness to the sound from polks.well as everybody says its subjective.thats wat led me to the thought if indeed its the speakers that are the culprit.i asked this only because i was ready to go for a centre too and before buying i wanted to make sure if anybody had similar experience.reason i asked is there may be people who have been in identical situations..maybe having a polk s20 and later moved on to another speaker due to somewhat similar reasons.
Regarding research any review on S20 is so low that its next to impossible to compare the two and have a fair idea of the differences.Thats also one of the reason i had to ask.
Yes probably i will pair it with subs either svs or xtz and do some adjustments vis a vis room correction and let it run for some time and then make a decision.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
well i asked because somehow i felt i dont know how to describe that..a kind of lack of fullness to the sound from polks.well as everybody says its subjective.thats wat led me to the thought if indeed its the speakers that are the culprit.i asked this only because i was ready to go for a centre too and before buying i wanted to make sure if anybody had similar experience.reason i asked is there may be people who have been in identical situations..maybe having a polk s20 and later moved on to another speaker due to somewhat similar reasons.
Regarding research any review on S20 is so low that its next to impossible to compare the two and have a fair idea of the differences.Thats also one of the reason i had to ask.
Yes probably i will pair it with subs either svs or xtz and do some adjustments vis a vis room correction and let it run for some time and then make a decision.
Hard to compare subjective experiences....you'll probably find a wide range of experiences, some will match up, some won't. One way to find out is to get the QAcoustics speakers now and compare them directly in your own room with your own ears.....

S

sand87

Audioholic
Hard to compare subjective experiences....you'll probably find a wide range of experiences, some will match up, some won't. One way to find out is to get the QAcoustics speakers now and compare them directly in your own room with your own ears.....
hmm.problem is in india no dealer will sell or give u speakers to try at home

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis