Used Yamaha RX-A3070 - good deal?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I have the opportunity to pick up a used Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 for $1180 (this includes tax and local so I can just pick up). It is well cared for and I know the person who owned it. It seems maybe it is a little high but not sure was hoping for closer to $1000 since no warranty either. Seems like the market for these used ones is a bit all over the place. I had contemplated a Marantz SR7013 or Denon 4500H also but of course they are more money.

Should I let this deal pass?

I have a Yamaha RX-V6A that I'm playing with now but probably going to send back due to the 8K HDMI issue and I think I want more channels and power plus I've had a few bugs with it that have plagued me a bit. I also didn't realize the subwoofer outs weren't discrete but at this price probably makes sense. I had always thought I'd be in the $1K plus category but couldn't pass the opportunity to try the RX-V6A since it seemed like a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm interested in other's opinions. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems a bit high priced to me, sub $1000 would be more to my thinking. Maybe a bit extra for knowing the owner/use. Are you really thinking about HDMI 2.1/8k at this stage?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the opportunity to pick up a used Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 for $1180 (this includes tax and local so I can just pick up). It is well cared for and I know the person who owned it. It seems maybe it is a little high but not sure was hoping for closer to $1000 since no warranty either. Seems like the market for these used ones is a bit all over the place. I had contemplated a Marantz SR7013 or Denon 4500H also but of course they are more money.

I have a Yamaha RX-V6A that I'm playing with now but probably going to send back due to the 8K HDMI issue and I think I want more channels and power plus I've had a few bugs with it that have plagued me a bit. I also didn't realize the subwoofer outs weren't discrete but at this price probably makes sense. I had always thought I'd be in the $1K plus category but couldn't pass the opportunity to try the RX-V6A since it seemed like a lot of bang for the buck.

I think the 3070 were $1400 at close out if I remember right in 2018. The software updates at this point won’t have new features after you catch it up, just the yearly stability update if any. That’s because they only do that the first 3 years.

I have a 2060 and a 770. The 3070 will have the eARC update like my 770 got.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Seems a bit high priced to me, sub $1000 would be more to my thinking. Maybe a bit extra for knowing the owner/use. Are you really thinking about HDMI 2.1/8k at this stage?
That is what I was thinking too. I looked up a few on ebay that were sold the past few months and seems like $1000 is closer to something real but when you are putting out a $1000 there is the wonder if I just put out a bit more for something like a newer or open box x4700 or x4500 or SR7013 if I can find one.

I think I had much higher hopes for the RX-V6A than the price would warrant. I know when I bought it I needed something in pinch (the Onkyo TX-SR444 I'm borrowing I don't know how long I can keep and was told if I could get it to work I could use it...no problems I could find though). I figured what did I have to lose with the long return policy in place right now at Best Buy. The HDMI 2.1 bug I thought originally was also related to other issues I've had with the Apple TV 4K and Atmos but given what I've seen I don't think that is the case but something bugs me about buying a broken product and since this problem chipset is everywhere I feel a bit stuck.

I have to keep telling myself, "What's the rush?"

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I think the 3070 were $1400 at close out if I remember right in 2018. The software updates at this point won’t have new features after you catch it up, just the yearly stability update if any. That’s because they only do that the first 3 years.

I have a 2060 and a 770. The 3070 will have the eARC update like my 770 got.
I noticed the eARC support in the info I saw online and I believe he did say he had it so mush be he's got the update.

I probably should just stay in a holding pattern and see what sort of specials and deals appear before year end.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I noticed the eARC support in the info I saw online and I believe he did say he had it so mush be he's got the update.

I probably should just stay in a holding pattern and see what sort of specials and deals appear before year end.
Have you looked at Denons 3600 going for 799 Crutchfield has it also World Wide Stereo both have 60 day return. Out side of Denon and Marantz not much out there to be had. A4L has some Yamaha refurbished but seems like they jacked up price's. They do have a Yamaha a780 going for 549 with a 18 month warranty. Denons 3600 seems to be the best deal, many AH members have Denons and like them a lot. The thing about Denons running hot seems to be true also.
Wondering if anyone on AH has say Denons 3400 or 3500? or are they Reliable?

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya I’d think $950 is after I know everything works. I usually don’t gamble that high. :)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Have you looked at Denons 3600 going for 799 Crutchfield has it also World Wide Stereo both have 60 day return. Out side of Denon and Marantz not much out there to be had. A4L has some Yamaha refurbished but seems like they jacked up price's. They do have a Yamaha a780 going for 549 with a 18 month warranty. Denons 3600 seems to be the best deal, many AH members have Denons and like them a lot. The thing about Denons running hot seems to be true also.
Wondering if anyone on AH has say Denons 3400 or 3500? or are they Reliable?
I was thinking originally for the money the next step up for the denon 4000 series simply because I think that one has the pre-outs but maybe I’m misremembering. Getting a warranty would be very nice too or having the return option. I’ve gone with crutchfield in the past on things just simply for return option. I’ve not tried world wide before.

Also realized didn’t answer earlier question about 8k. I’ll not own an 8k TV in near future I’m sure and if I did I suppose I’d just plug into TV direct any 8k source and use eARC. I’ve liked the 5.1.2 setup with the height speakers and would just love next step up with some rear/back surrounds.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Greentoe with an authorized distributor recently had Denon 4700 for ~$1200. Gone now but maybe back for black Friday?

I might worry about used electronics for $1K+. That said it could last another 10-15 years and work perfectly fine. But who knows. Once you get up near a grand, I think i'd rather spend a few more hundred and know I have a 3 year warranty. But i know that's easy for me to say when it's not my money being spent. :)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I think I’m just going to wait and see what comes up as we get further towards the holidays and definitely pass on this other deal with the Yamaha. I appreciate all the input. It’s going to test my patience a bit probably but seems like the prudent route.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW the Denons X3xxx series and above come with full sets of pre-outs.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I've got a Yamaha RX-A3080, and just got a Denon AVR-X3600H for another room. Honestly, as much as I love Yamaha myself, unless there is a specific reason you are looking for the 3070, the sale price on the 3600 is hard to beat and under that 3070's used price at $799 shipped. Includes 9 channels power with 11 channels processed (just like my 3080), has pre-outs for all channels, and plenty of power for "most" speakers.

If you find a 3070 or 3080, they are awesome units, but the extra value over the current sales might be hard to justify for all buyers. I don't regret my 3080 even though I spent nearly 3 times as much, but if doing it over I'd probably have bought two 3600's at the current sales price instead. Regards.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
What is it then I’m forgetting between the 3000 and 4000 series? I wish I could remember. It doesn’t sound like it was the preout then but I guess I’ll have to dig in and find out. It was something someone asked elsewhere and hope I can find here in the other thread. It was like oops need the 4xxx because the 3 doesn’t do it and it’s stuck in my mind.

Looking very hard at 3600 though. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is it then I’m forgetting between the 3000 and 4000 series? I wish I could remember. It doesn’t sound like it was the preout then but I guess I’ll have to dig in and find out. It was something someone asked elsewhere and hope I can find here in the other thread. It was like oops need the 4xxx because the 3 doesn’t do it and it’s stuck in my mind.

Looking very hard at 3600 though. Thanks.
Generally number of channels/amps it can amplify/process. Most of the rest of the features are pretty much the same....

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
So I compromised on my waiting game and just picked up a TSR-700 that I think I can get rid of next year when I'm ready for the real AVR I want (family can be great sometimes). ;)

I have an RX-V6A already that is working despite some issues I had initially (since gone...fixed) and I couldn't pass up saving $200. The V6A works reasonably well and I can return the TSR as late as January if needed. I'm taking the RX-V6A back to Best Buy. I still don't know how they can sell the TSR-700 which appears to be identical to the RX-V6A for $200 less but I'm betting there will be a lot of open box RX-V6A's at BB soon.:)

I want something with more power and will get a Sub and new Center Channel speaker now and next year when I unload the TSR-700 hopefully all the nasty bugs in HDMI 2.1 will be worked out. Who knows, maybe Yamaha will make good on fixing the TSR, time will tell.

I do appreciate all the feedback here. The forums here and site are great. Glad I found it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I live in Canada so the prices are different than from the US. I picked up an RX-A3060 for $1200 Cdn so that price doesn't seem to be unfair.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So I compromised on my waiting game and just picked up a TSR-700 that I think I can get rid of next year when I'm ready for the real AVR I want (family can be great sometimes). ;)

I have an RX-V6A already that is working despite some issues I had initially (since gone...fixed) and I couldn't pass up saving $200. The V6A works reasonably well and I can return the TSR as late as January if needed. I'm taking the RX-V6A back to Best Buy. I still don't know how they can sell the TSR-700 which appears to be identical to the RX-V6A for $200 less but I'm betting there will be a lot of open box RX-V6A's at BB soon.:)

I want something with more power and will get a Sub and new Center Channel speaker now and next year when I unload the TSR-700 hopefully all the nasty bugs in HDMI 2.1 will be worked out. Who knows, maybe Yamaha will make good on fixing the TSR, time will tell.

I do appreciate all the feedback here. The forums here and site are great. Glad I found it.
I did the same thing, I was just about to order that Denon 3600 but decided to reorder Yamahas RX-V6A again. Got it in yesterday around 5pm. It's all set up firmware all done up and running with No issues. No "banding" nothing at all good just like the first I had. For me just came down to didn't need 9 channel AVR,

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

Yammy RX-A3070 owner here.

I think that's a great price. :p

Really though AVR's, unlike speakers, will always depreciate faster, no matter what brand (Yamaha or Denon/Marantz) you choose. Just choose the brand that you prefer tonally and/or has the features your looking for or need and within your budget.

Yes there are the outliers, like the Yamaha RX-Z9 or the Denon AVR-5805 RX but overall it's like buying a new car, the price starts to drop precipitously as soon as you drive it off the lot ... regrettably.

Even though I prefer Yamaha's ... extremely reliable; I've never had one fail since the 1970's and I prefer their tonal signature ... if I had an unlimited budget right now I'd buy the Denon AVR-X8500H (Silver). Power, pretty well future/goof proof, feature wise, and gorgeous aesthetically in silver. It shows all the signs of being a future classic in my eyes.

Just make sure your credit card is well lubricated.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-o1pMUvq3pwC/p_033AVX850S/Denon-AVR-X8500H-Silver.html

Good luck.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic

Hmmmm if you checked in the deals section, I posted a few receivers that are brand new and on pretty deep discount. The marantz 6014 is 849 A4L.com. there's the 3600h A4L.com and 4500h Crutchfield for the lowest prices on these units

Second, before rushing into the purchase, as it may not seem to be a good deal for that Yamaha. That venue will remain open, shop around and see what's going on. I am preacher for open box denon and marantz products from AUTHORIZED retailers. Because even if it is open box you get a full 3 year warranty when the location is authorized. Chops off a lot of money, and you wont need to buy refurbished. I got my 7013 from a mom and pop shop OB for 1100, 2200 is orig msrp and the price at that point dropped to 1700. I doubt even on black friday it will reach 1300, which is why I jumped on that deal.

If you also check locations for authorized retailers, those places usually always have demos provided by marantz and denon and you can see if they have any older models for reduced price. Otherwise I like to warn people dont buy denon or marantz from anywhere that's not authorized, even if it is brand new. They will not honor any warranty regardless of condition if it's from a third party vendor. Which can lead to a bad situation.

The yamaha you purchased isn't bad, I am not sure what you are experiencing that is unpleasant, like why do you want to upgrade? There's very little incentive to upgrade at this time because of this 8k bug. My buddy had a pioneer and bought the Yamaha TSR-700 which is the costco version of V6A, virtually identical. I haven't heard any negative feedback from him.

Maybe you can provide some thoughts on why you wish to upgrade, and maybe we can provide even more sound advice. Because it seems as everyone is saying we are going to need to wait into 2021/22 to get the legit 4k/120. If you want to buy, go for a 2019 model for sure and put a bunch of cash in your pocket, as it seems you are trying to maintain a budget

***Sorry I didn't check out the 17 replies to your post lol

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic

Oops im late, but i did give you my thoughts, and tsr-700 is part of it. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with that unit. Just keep your eyes peeled, black friday is coming up and you never know what happens. Costco has a 90 day return policy I believe, we asked when I bought it for my buddy. So you can have a good amount of time to make a sound decision. Just confirm with your local costco that is correct or check your receipt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis