Blown Tweeter Audio Physic Yara

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
Hi,

I had a tweeter blow in one of my Audio Physic Yara's. I have a couple of questions. The tweeter in them is labeled Logic by Vifa with a bc25bg16-04 label. I can't seem to find them and was wondering if these would work as replacements. I would order one for each of the speakers and replace both.

I didn't contact Audio Physic yet to see about a replacement. I paid $70 for the pair of speakers so wasn't looking to get too pricey on the fix. Size wise they look like they would fit directly. I do have access to woodworking tools if we would need to modify the opening slightly.

Any other model that would be a replacement would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jason

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Hi,

I had a tweeter blow in one of my Audio Physic Yara's. I have a couple of questions. The tweeter in them is labeled Logic by Vifa with a bc25bg16-04 label. I can't seem to find them and was wondering if these would work as replacements. I would order one for each of the speakers and replace both.

I didn't contact Audio Physic yet to see about a replacement. I paid $70 for the pair of speakers so wasn't looking to get too pricey on the fix. Size wise they look like they would fit directly. I do have access to woodworking tools if we would need to modify the opening slightly.

Thanks,

Jason
This tweeter might work for you?

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
Thanks, I'll give that one a try. Pretty similar numbers other than the 15 vs 16 on the existing one. I appreciate the response.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

Thanks,

Jason
I think that peerless tweeter is virtually the same as yours.

highfigh

highfigh

Hi,

Thanks,

Jason
This is just weird.......I built these around ten years ago.

I would look into the crossover design- I think the difference between the tg15 and tg16 is in the Fs and since the model you're looking at has a low resonance frequency, it will be fine since it will handle lower crossover frequency than a tweeter with higher Fs.

Blew a tweeter, eh? Watch the volume setting and any equalization you use- your amp may be clipping sooner than you think. What amp are you using?

Attachments

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
I recently picked up an ashly ftx2001 which has a lot of power. I pushed it a little too far testing out some higher volume on the amp. Indicators on the amp stayed half way or a little above but it was a little too much for my speakers. That's ok in the long term though. Way too loud for my old ears.

Strange thing was when i pulled the tweeter the bottom portion of the faceplate was broken off. It didn't look like they had been removed previously so that seemed strange. The other speakers tweeter pulled out normally.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I recently picked up an ashly ftx2001 which has a lot of power. I pushed it a little too far testing out some higher volume on the amp. Indicators on the amp stayed half way or a little above but it was a little too much for my speakers. That's ok in the long term though. Way too loud for my old ears.

Strange thing was when i pulled the tweeter the bottom portion of the faceplate was broken off. It didn't look like they had been removed previously so that seemed strange. The other speakers tweeter pulled out normally.
When I replaced my dead VMPS 626 tweeter it had this sticky adhesive on the back of the faceplate and around the opening. It was hard to get it out without breaking the old tweeter faceplate. I used goo gone to clean that mess off before installing the new tweeter. Next time it will be easier to get it out. :cool:

highfigh

highfigh

Blown tweeters usually indicates high distortion or a crossover that allows frequencies that are too low for the driver to handle. Woofers usually blow from too much power.

My power amp is rated at 125W/channel into 8 Ohms, higher into a lower impedance load and I have driven it fairly hard. Never heard any signs of distress, like a chirping sound (common when tweeters are in pain). I actually changed to a textile dome after a few years but still have all of the VIFA tweeters I bought at that time and none have been damaged. The crossover F6 is in the 2800Hz area, which should be fine for these- maybe the crossovers could be checked for damaged components and possible tweaked to allow survival of the new one. It would be best to replace both, though- a mismatch might be noticeable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis