S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So how about between a new RX-V685 and a refurbished RX-A780?

The 780 is $50 cheaper but specs seem similar other than the aventage added features like the middle foot, and supposed higher quality internal components in some spots.
Oh they are about the same. I have a RXV681 and a RXA770 which are pretty much the same. Think 5watts more power per channel on A7x0, and mine are a year apart. Also Adventage is 3 year warranty instead of 2.

(I also have RXA2060 in my den/home theater)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
In this case, the RX-A780 is refurbished and has an 18 month warranty from Yamaha. It is also $50 cheaper than the new RX-V685.

If I'm reading it correctly, the RX-V685 would have a 2 year warranty. Not drastically longer than the refurbished aventage model.

I'm leaning towards the RX-A780 just because it's $50 cheaper with similar specs and only lacks 6 months of warranty from yamaha to the comparable.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In this case, the RX-A780 is refurbished and has an 18 month warranty from Yamaha. It is also $50 cheaper than the new RX-V685.

If I'm reading it correctly, the RX-V685 would have a 2 year warranty. Not drastically longer than the refurbished aventage model.

I'm leaning towards the RX-A780 just because it's $50 cheaper with similar specs and only lacks 6 months of warranty from yamaha to the comparable.
Yep the 780 is the better deal.

Like I tried to say in an earlier post, Amazon usually discounts new units in Nov and Dec. It was 683 model last year and 681 model the the year before that. I also got my 770 on a sale there that only lasted a few days.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks snakeeyes. Very helpful info unlike the class clowns above.

I ordered the refurbished RX-A780. Should be more than enough for the garage gym setup and it can evolve to 4k if we ever need to replace the garage TV down the road. Since it's 13 years old, I'm assuming it is a possibility eventually but as long as it keeps working 1080p is more than enough for exercise videos and other usage it will see out there in the gym.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
after reading about the new 8k models I am prob going to avoid them for now. Especially for a 13 year old Sony 1080p tv and1080p Apple TV.

what is the best Yamaha from the prior series that is similar to the level of the RV4A or RV6A
I think any previous model Yamaha 5.1-7.1 AVR with MusicCast will do.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@AcuDefTechGuy, Andrew! I believe I'm gonna try out a DENON 3600, I just finished doing my own research on it and gotta say It's a little beasts! 3 years warranty, two power rails, just under 27 lbs! $799.00! Any AH members that has this AVR, I would like your thoughts on it. The reviews on it are above average. I know @PENG and @mazersteven recommend this Denon a lot plus other members on AH.
9412F7DB-AD8D-4927-853B-72B24922275D.jpeg

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
@AcuDefTechGuy, Andrew! I believe I'm gonna try out a DENON 3600, I just finished doing my own research on it and gotta say It's a little beasts! 3 years warranty, two power rails, just under 27 lbs! $799.00! Any AH members that has this AVR, I would like your thoughts on it. The reviews on it are above average. I know @PENG and @mazersteven recommend this Denon a lot plus other members on AH.
View attachment 41028
I'm sure that will be a great unit. I looked at it too but was honestly just above the budget I had in mind for my garage usage, even though it is on sale for a great price. Heck, even the RX-A780 refurbished priced at $549 was more than I originally planned to spend but I went with it based on it's specs for the price and the ability to use MusicCast based on @AcuDefTechGuy recommendation since I have an RX-A3080 in my living room setup.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure that will be a great unit. I looked at it too but was honestly just above the budget I had in mind for my garage usage, even though it is on sale for a great price. Heck, even the RX-A780 refurbished priced at $549 was more than I originally planned to spend but I went with it based on it's specs for the price and the ability to use MusicCast based on @AcuDefTechGuy recommendation since I have an RX-A3080 in my living room setup.
I gotta have DTS X! f..kin awesome for movies!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Don't both brands support that? I thought they did anyway.
Yes think since 2015, but he is upgrading from an older AVR.

He returned a new RV6A due to HDMI2.1 issues that are on Yamaha and Denon. Panasonic chips that will likely need replacement for all those hdmi2.1 receivers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 41028
It will definitely be an excellent acquisition. Have a look at Amir's review of this product:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It will definitely be an excellent acquisition. Have a look at Amir's review of this product:

Thanks! @Verdinut, Very good read, read it last night in the wee hour's. It also seems to be one of the most reliable AVR's out to date. Really didn't want to send back my V6A but just couldn't justify keeping it in the end. Two days tossing around the pros and cons the one thing that kept overruling keeping it no matter what settings I used it wouldn't up convert to 4K from my cable box. Yeah I know my 4K tv does better but knowing the issues it left me Very disappointed even though the unit sounded fantastic. I spoke with Andrew, as much a Yamaha man as he and I are no matter what reason I give him in for keeping my V6A @AcuDefTechGuy Kept telling me to send it back. Andrew's a Valued friend and has always given Me solid advice on gear. He even recommended the Denon 3600 to me everyone knows how Bias he Is towards Yamaha as am I and many other's who own Yamaha gear. As soon as my funds hit back in my bank account I will order Denons 3600. Will be my first ever Denon AVR.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
People might laugh, but I sold every single Denon I owned in 2020 (that’s 7 Denon AVR I owned and sold them all this year) because I want every room to have MusicCast. All the way. :cool:

It would have been EIGHT Denon, instead of 7, if the damn AVP-A1HDCI had not croaked on me.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
People might laugh, but I sold every single Denon I owned in 2020 (that’s 7 Denon AVR I owned and sold them all this year) because I want every room to have MusicCast. All the way. :cool:

It would have been EIGHT Denon, instead of 7, if the damn AVP-A1HDCI had not croaked on me.
lolo, but you got 8 years out of it! It was Probably time to upgrade anyways!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
lolo, but you got 8 years out of it! It was Probably time to upgrade anyways!
Well 8 years for a $600-$1000 AVR may be fine.

But 8 years for a $7,500 Pre-pro? Seem like a rip-off to get only 8 years for $7500. :D

I think my AVP-A1HD-incident might have turned @PENG to the AVR DARKSIDE. He was all-separates like me and @TLS Guy. Then my AVP-A1 fiasco happened and pushed PENG over to the Darkside for good. :D

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well 8 years for a $600-$1000 AVR may be fine.

But 8 years for a $7,500 Pre-pro? Seem like a rip-off to get only 8 years for $7500. :D

I think my AVP-A1HD-incident might have turned @PENG to the AVR DARKSIDE. He was all-separates like me and @TLS Guy. Then my AVP-A1 fiasco happened and pushed PENG over to the Darkside for good. :D
Just messing with you, ;) speaking of PENG, he been Quiet lately.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis