Atmos In-Ceiling Speaker - Sanity Check

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Forum buds,
Please provide a sanity check on 5.4 Atmos in-ceiling speaker plan before I cut the holes later this week.
- Please see attached diagram, brown rectangles are doors, there are no windows.
NOTES:
1) HDTV on the long wall and couch location near the back wall is non-negotiable per my BOSS (has a ring on her finger).
2) HDTV and MLP are not centered L to R in the room due to the various door locations / traffic flow.
3) Room has a ceiling tray (9 ft high) shown by dotted line, 2 ft wide lower ceiling portion (8 ft high) is unsuitable to speaker install (HVAC).
4) I have excellent access to an attic above this room, so no restrictions for wiring.

HT Atmos Plan.jpg

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would move the ceiling rear speakers as far back as possible and also move the ceiling front speakers closer to the LP if possible - reason is you might not be able to hear much if they are that far away from you, especially competing with all the other speakers for sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with Andrew on all points. I’d also push to move the couch even a little. I know, everyone has their battles but it would be worth a conversation IMO.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Can you not flip the arrangement 90 degrees clockwise and move the couch forward into the room since that arrangement will give you three more feet? Tell the boss you will get her a sweet ass sofa table for the new arrangement and she can load it up with new tchotchkis.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I would move the ceiling rear speakers as far back as possible and also move the ceiling front speakers closer to the LP if possible - reason is you might not be able to hear much if they are that far away from you, especially competing with all the other speakers for sound.
Thanks,
I can move rears backwards 16 inches (i e. one stud over).
- Should I be concerned with ceiling speaker being close (~8 inches) to the ceiling tray's "vertical corner" boundary?
That concern is why I placed rears up one extra stud to about 24 inches from the ceiling tray vertical corner.

Likewise I can move the fronts backwards 16 inches (one more stud), as long as it avoids any line-of-sight overlap from ceiling fan blades to MLP/other seats.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You mentioned you have plenty of room in the Attic are you doing anything as far as architectural structure back boxes to stop sound reflection in the ceiling. Or are you just placing speakers up there and hoping for the best

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Can you not flip the arrangement 90 degrees clockwise and move the couch forward into the room since that arrangement will give you three more feet? Tell the boss you will get her a sweet ass sofa table for the new arrangement and she can load it up with new tchotchkis.
LOL, not in the cards.
Additionally, acoustically I think the wide front works a bit better in keeping front L/R away from corner placement.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
You mentioned you have plenty of room in the Attic are you doing anything as far as architectural structure back boxes to stop sound reflection in the ceiling. Or are you just placing speakers up there and hoping for the best
Initially, no backer boxes, but could be a follow on project.
- Speakers are JBL Arena 61C, 6.5" woofers, 1" soft done tweeters.
Intend to crossover at 80Hz (or higher).

I am unimpressed with commercial thin plastic/metal backer box offerings.
- IMHO they create more resonances than they solve.
- But a DIY MDF build with acoustic stuffing could be a different story.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
BTW thanks to all for the excellent input!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I would just give up on 4 Atmos and do just 2.
No offense, but not me. In order to fully feel the immersion especially when upmixing all the time as I do, I'd do 4 well powered channels. But that's just me. I did and value the extra sound from above.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Crawled up in the ceiling and combined what I learned up there with ya'll's suggestions to finalize:

1) Rear Atmos will be one joist forward of ceiling tray, because last joist only has 10" wide space; not enough room for speaker & flanges.

2) Moved Front Atmos rearward to near center of room; just forward of center joist that holds ceiling fan.
- Due to the near rear wall couch placement this is pretty close to Dolby recommended angles.

3) If we ever slide couch forward a couple feet, this placement will be near perfect.

See updated diagrams.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
HT Atmos Plan Ver2.jpg

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Crawled up in the ceiling and combined what I learned up there with ya'll's suggestions to finalize:

1) Rear Atmos will be one joist forward of ceiling tray, because last joist only has 10" wide space; not enough room for speaker & flanges.

2) Moved Front Atmos rearward to near center of room; just forward of center joist that holds ceiling fan.
- Due to the near rear wall couch placement this is pretty close to Dolby recommended angles.

3) If we ever slide couch forward a couple feet, this placement will be near perfect.

See updated diagrams.
What is in the tray ceiling? Anyway to place the rear Atmos in that?
As responded to Kleinst:
Actually, wondering if you wouldn't be better placing the rear Atmos in that rear wall/ceiling corner aimed to the listening place. This would give the image of front to back overhead motion well.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No offense, but not me. In order to fully feel the immersion especially when upmixing all the time as I do, I'd do 4 well powered channels. But that's just me. I did and value the extra sound from above.
No offense at all. He is in a tough place. The rear Atmos that should be behind him is right above and maybe even a 1/2ft forward that pushes the front Atmos more forward than should be.
Actually, wondering if he wouldn't be better placing the rear Atmos in that rear wall/ceiling corner aimed to the listening place. This would give the image of front to back overhead motion well.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Maybe so. Mine are similar in that couch is against the wall and smaller room. I just had them put the rears over me and you can aim the tweeters. Perhaps not perfect but you still get the effects and a lot of immersion. Not text book but hey better than nothing

Last edited:
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Atmos install saga now "THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY"

THE GOOD: Figured out how to place rear Atmos outside of the ceiling tray (e.g. outmost 2 ft.), see below.
- Hooked up the JBL Arena 61Cs for a free air SQ test and really liked the sound!
- Did have to move the Front Left Atmos one foot wider to avoid a ceiling board seam in the tray.

HT Atmos Plan Ver 3.jpg

THE BAD: Original builder prewired rear wall with 16 gauge wire; not terrible, but not great.
- Replacing and rerouting with 14 gauge from wall plate to Atmos speakers.
- Using existing 16 gauge as "fishing line".

THE UGLY: Had an Oops, shouldn't be too hard to fix since we know a real good painter.
- After much anger and swearing, the lemonade plan is to paint ceiling and whole room.
- Nix the builder's blah neutral color for a darker, more theater appropriate color.

20201028_Oops Medium.jpg

XEagleDriver

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Lucky only a foot came through that you didn't come Crashing Down
itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_037.gif

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis