AV Receiver recommendation for use with Alexa/SmartThings for voice multiroom

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my receiver to one that I can control easier to turn on the speakers I have outside. I have 2 speakers ran to my current receiver but I need to push a button on the front of the receiver to turn them on, and it can only play the same thing that is being played inside. Hoping to get something that I can just say "Alexa turn on patio speakers" and maybe even be able to play my Plex music lists via voice or something - while my kids are inside playing Nintendo or watching a movie. I have a 5.1 speaker setup inside.

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
Maybe I should mention, I have a Harmony remote, so currently I can have Alexa turn on my entertainment center and also turn on plex or netflix from my Roku.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A newer avr will have zones controllable via infrared remote or even via wifi and can play different content in main vs other zones (altho sometimes drm can get in the way to an extent but using an analog connection for zone 2 content works pretty well.

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
A newer avr will have zones controllable via infrared remote or even via wifi and can play different content in main vs other zones (altho sometimes drm can get in the way to an extent but using an analog connection for zone 2 content works pretty well.
Ok. So if I would look at Denon as I have heard many say that is one of the best, any particular model you recommend?

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
I have been told to look at the AVR-3600h Denon. I am not sure if by looking at that unit I am not buying way more than I need. It is a 9.1 and this being in my living room with 5.1 and having 2 speakers for multiroom, is this really my best option?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a coupla Denons and do recommend them, albeit mine are older models (3808 and 4520). I like 3600 as well as the newer x700 series among the new ones. I wouldn't worry about features you won't use particularly now....but you might in the future perhaps? There really aren't any 5ch only avrs these days in any case....

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
I have a coupla Denons and do recommend them, albeit mine are older models (3808 and 4520). I like 3600 as well as the newer x700 series among the new ones. I wouldn't worry about features you won't use particularly now....but you might in the future perhaps? There really aren't any 5ch only avrs these days in any case....
I wasn't figuring a 5.1 receiver but there are 7.1 where 2 channels are used for your zone 2. I just don't know if on those units if you can play a different source than zone 1. Like the AVR-x750h

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wasn't figuring a 5.1 receiver but there are 7.1 where 2 channels are used for your zone 2. I just don't know if on those units if you can play a different source than zone 1. Like the AVR-x750h
I prefer my Denons with pre-outs and Audyssey XT32, but a 7ch avr will likely be able to power both your 5ch and 2ch zones, and generally they are able to play different content (depending on drm implementation) as that's a common option for zone 2 at least....but always check the manual for specifics.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You can definitely play different content on z2 but afaik you can still only send Z2 and Z3 analog content. That means rca from whatever source your sending.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can definitely play different content on z2 but afaik you can still only send Z2 and Z3 analog content. That means rca from whatever source your sending.
I can use some digital content on Z2 on my older Denon 3808....from an Audio Chromecast with the optical connection but for most others I simultaneously connect digital/analog.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can use some digital content on Z2 on my older Denon 3808....from an Audio Chromecast with the optical connection but for most others I simultaneously connect digital/analog.
What vintage is the 3808? I don’t ever remember being able to do that once hdmi came around. My mind ain’t what it used to be though lmao!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What vintage is the 3808? I don’t ever remember being able to do that once hdmi came around. My mind ain’t what it used to be though lmao!
It's from 2007 or so? It does have some more options than my 4520, not sure it's as capable but don't use zones on the 4520....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's from 2007 or so? It does have some more options than my 4520, not sure it's as capable but don't use zones on the 4520....
Gotcha. Z2 hasn’t been a priority for me either...in the cases I’ve used it, only analog was supported. I have no doubt there are some...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha. Z2 hasn’t been a priority for me either...in the cases I’ve used it, only analog was supported. I have no doubt there are some...
I just duplicate the source output from the bluray player with both analog and digital, but for the Chromecast Audio unit only one connection is possible and it's digital but no issues in playing it zone 2....might have to experiment with the newer, and more likely drm challenged, 4520 some day....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just duplicate the source output from the bluray player with both analog and digital, but for the Chromecast Audio unit only one connection is possible and it's digital but no issues in playing it zone 2....might have to experiment with the newer, and more likely drm challenged, 4520 some day....
I actually use two inputs for z2 now that I think of it. One is dish, and the other HEOS. I’m using 7.3.4 in the LR, and my wife uses Z2 usually. Dish is duplicated with hdmi and rca, and HEOS is from the Z2 preouts to a small 2ch amp. It’s nice because with my 808, rear surrounds were disabled when using Z2, but the pre/amp setup from Z2 outs allows me full 7.3.4 while she can have 2ch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis