Finally moving on from Def Tech...kinda

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So I fell in love with Def Tech speakers when I was a very young guy, back when you had to go a HiFi shop and not Best Buy to buy them. I have had many models through the years but for the last few years wanted to move on, go in another direction.
So the time is here. I have Def Tech SM 65 LCR and SM 55 surrounds. I moved into a new house and bought a 75 inch TV so the SM 65 center isn't gonna work anymore. I already had RSL CG3's for Atmos. I just ordered the CG23 for center and moving the CG3's to Left and Right with obviously the CG23 for center. I know I'm gonna lose bass but I'm still excited. I'm gonna continue to use the SM55's for surrounds for now. Down the line either going with two more CG3's for surrounds or go with two more CG3's to make 3 for LCR and moved the CG3's to surround. What do you guys think? I'm gonna lean on my SVS PB1000 harder because I'm losing bass from the Def Techs. Probably add a second PB1000 too soon.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Did you get the CG3 LCR or did you get the CG3 bookshelfs?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
How big is your room?
Medium sized I would say. We just moved into a new house and it's longer than it is wide. By the way the CG23 is being delivered Monday so I don't even have it yet. I have to run Audyssey after I get it. I was told to wait a few days before running Audyssey to make sure it's broken in first.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Medium sized I would say. We just moved into a new house and it's longer than it is wide. By the way the CG23 is being delivered Monday so I don't even have it yet. I have to run Audyssey after I get it. I was told to wait a few days before running Audyssey to make sure it's broken in first.

Ba. Break in's not a thing. ;) Listen to an album, then run room correction. :)

I'd say you should evaluate your total open room volume... you might need to up the sub game across the board.

I was never impressed with the later model BPs from DT... I can't speak toward the older gear. That said, planing out a real upgrade at sub will make the difference in stepping away from your DT experience. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ba. Break in's not a thing. ;) Listen to an album, then run room correction. :)

I'd say you should evaluate your total open room volume... you might need to up the sub game across the board.

I was never impressed with the later model BPs from DT... I can't speak toward the older gear. That said, planing out a real upgrade at sub will make the difference in stepping away from your DT experience. :D
Yeah, I was actually thinking of going with RSL Speedwoofer or 2. They are excellently priced.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I was actually thinking of going with RSL Speedwoofer or 2. They are excellently priced.

The price is good, but the extension is limited. I think with the PB1000, it's toe to toe, but I'd be looking VTF2s or PB/PC2000s. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The price is good, but the extension is limited. I think with the PB1000, it's toe to toe, but I'd be looking VTF2s or PB/PC2000s. :D
I do like HSU subs, heard great things. Rythmic too I heard are excellent.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I do like HSU subs, heard great things. Rythmic too I heard are excellent.
Hsu, SVS, Outlaw, Monolith... then the Rythmik and PSA subs. I don't think either of the last two are bad, but there are questionable things that crop up... The Servo tech on Rythmik is claimed to be a magic solution to the problems of subwoofers, but not any extensive testing to back that up (which makes it sound like marketing propaganda...). For PSA, they are using Pro Drivers with High Fs (resonance in the mid 30s/low 40s) which makes for better mid bass, but they are not naturally great at the lower octave, and likewise anything infrasonic. Again, no third party testing to show what their subs are capable of.
(None of that is measnt as a dig, just the way it is. No Fan Boy action here.) :D

But ya, best bang for your buck would be 2 of those VTF2s (Dual Drive package). If you catch the Monolith 12" on sale, that could be a good buy, though still a higher ticket than the Hsus. Outlaw X-12 could be a dark horse contender with b-stock or a "Dual-Drive" style package discount if you buy two.
I'm a fan of the Outlaw x-13s... very good Subs.
:)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think moving to rsl from def tech is a great choice. They make very good speakers and are great guys.
For subwoofage, I would personally recommend NOT adding another pb1000 and stepping up a little more. Of course duals are preferred, but a PC2k now and one later would be a nice upgrade.
The speedwoofer does go down to 20hz, but not super loud, so you’ll need to take actual measurements to know the actual volume of the room to get what you need. Last time I talked to Joe at RSL he said they were working on a BIG boy sub. Not sure where that’s at but might be worth asking them.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think moving to rsl from def tech is a great choice. They make very good speakers and are great guys.
For subwoofage, I would personally recommend NOT adding another pb1000 and stepping up a little more. Of course duals are preferred, but a PC2k now and one later would be a nice upgrade.
The speedwoofer does go down to 20hz, but not super loud, so you’ll need to take actual measurements to know the actual volume of the room to get what you need. Last time I talked to Joe at RSL he said they were working on a BIG boy sub. Not sure where that’s at but might be worth asking them.
Thank you, and I agree this is a good move. RSL speakers are supposed to be very good accurate, no BS speakers. Audioholics loves them that's for sure. I kinda want to move on from SVS subs too for some reason. Just try new things, new subs and speakers.
Oh and I heard they were working on a 12 inch sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you, and I agree this is a good move. RSL speakers are supposed to be very good accurate, no BS speakers. Audioholics loves them that's for sure. I kinda want to move on from SVS subs too for some reason. Just try new things, new subs and speakers.
Oh and I heard they were working on a 12 inch sub.

Definitely no reason not to try other subs. The only thing I’ll say about that, is moving up the SVS food chain will be much like moving on to a different sub company. Don’t get me wrong, the pb1k is a great little sub for the entry market, but I wouldn’t compare it to anything else in the SVS stable. OTOH, I think there is potentially better value out there. I mean that academically, as the peace of mind that comes with dealing with SVS is almost unmatched. But on paper only, there are better/equal performers out there. You might not get the bill of rights and trade in program, or built in peq and all that, but that might not matter. If you trust your AVR to do the EQ, and/or have a minidsp(iirc you don’t) then the peq won’t matter to you.
Imo, HSU is probably the best value/bang for your buck out there, but I have a pair of Rythmiks , or JTR’s on my personal wish list.
Also, even though you’ve had it for awhile, email ed directly and he might still work with you. He’s been known to help forum members(on avs too) even with special cases.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There is nothing wrong with SVS, by any account I've heard. As I like overdoing it a little, I'd go so far as to recommend the 3000 series... still wishing they did a C version of the 3000, but hey. ;) That's just me. :p

Regardless, I'm not gonna try to make that decision for you. :) But consider my finger on the scale for stepping up to 2 matching subs, at least 12" drivers, and with some good quality low end extension that can even get you some infrasonic love happening.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Definitely no reason not to try other subs. The only thing I’ll say about that, is moving up the SVS food chain will be much like moving on to a different sub company. Don’t get me wrong, the pb1k is a great little sub for the entry market, but I wouldn’t compare it to anything else in the SVS stable. OTOH, I think there is potentially better value out there. I mean that academically, as the peace of mind that comes with dealing with SVS is almost unmatched. But on paper only, there are better/equal performers out there. You might not get the bill of rights and trade in program, or built in peq and all that, but that might not matter. If you trust your AVR to do the EQ, and/or have a minidsp(iirc you don’t) then the peq won’t matter to you.
Imo, HSU is probably the best value/bang for your buck out there, but I have a pair of Rythmiks , or JTR’s on my personal wish list.
Also, even though you’ve had it for awhile, email ed directly and he might still work with you. He’s been known to help forum members(on avs too) even with special cases.
Thanks again. Ed is from what company? SVS?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis