Audssey giving error with left surround - setting up old Denon AVR-1913

P

popseeko

Audiophyte
Dear helpful community:

I recently procured an old Denon-AVR 1913 and trying to set it up with a 5.1 setup.

The Audssey setup fails to detect the left surround during the "tone test" - for that specific speaker, during the test the tone volume starts low, then increases slowly but never to the level as other speakers and hence, the Audssey says "Surround Left" not found.

I have checked the speaker is not an issue by swapping speaker from other channel and the problem persists in the same exact channel. The speaker wire is brand new and it is connected using brand new banana plugs.

Can anybody please give me some guidance?

I am happy to upload pictures or recording of the Audssey test

Thanks very much for all your guidance in advance.

PS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you start with a full reset of the unit? Outside of the test tones does content sound normal level in that channel?

P

popseeko

Audiophyte
Did you start with a full reset of the unit? Outside of the test tones does content sound normal level in that channel?
Thanks very much for your response @lovinthehd
Yes I did do the full reset using power and tuner preset ch+ and tuner preset ch-1.
Even with manual speaker level setup, the channel shows lower level. I had to increase the level by +12 DB to be able to hear a bit of it at system volume level of around 75.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I am new and have no clue. It does seem like a unit issue. Possibly try to switch your speaker cables and see if that does the trick.

So you can rule out the cable as a factor or the actual issue.

Otherwise if it’s the unit see if you can get a refund or negotiate something that will be equal to the damage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt it. Someone
That's what I am concerned out.. The unit sounded perfectly fine when I picked it from my friend's house. Is there anything that I can do to fix?
Did he have all five channels running? Surrounds can have little content at times so could be hard to hear if one was lower level/missing. If it was a gift from your friend then keep on looking....or use it as a 3.1 for now...until you find something more suitable/functioning. If you have to ask about fixing you're probably not capable other than checking for something very obvious like a loose wire (I remember someone recently had an issue with a used avr, opened it up and one cable was loose and connecting it better resolved the issue).....outside of running resets not much a typical consumer can do for repair. You could take it in for repair but that may exceed the value of the unit....

P

popseeko

Audiophyte
Doubt it. Someone

Did he have all five channels running? Surrounds can have little content at times so could be hard to hear if one was lower level/missing. If it was a gift from your friend then keep on looking....or use it as a 3.1 for now...until you find something more suitable/functioning. If you have to ask about fixing you're probably not capable other than checking for something very obvious like a loose wire (I remember someone recently had an issue with a used avr, opened it up and one cable was loose and connecting it better resolved the issue).....outside of running resets not much a typical consumer can do for repair. You could take it in for repair but that may exceed the value of the unit....
Fair and very prudent points.. I will try opening it up and see if anything obvious shows up.. else I will keep using it for now as you said.
One idea another friend suggested is to buy a single channel power amplifier and add it between the receiver and the speaker (in that channel).. His reasoning was that the channel has lower volume but it is producing some sound and hence, mono-channel amplification might do the trick .. will this work or is the most idiotic idea that you have heard?
He found me the following: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Frequency-Channel-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B07518QZ9B/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mono+channel+amplifier&qid=1602644795&refinements=p_36:1253503011&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Thanks very much for your feedback

Regards and Gratitude!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair and very prudent points.. I will try opening it up and see if anything obvious shows up.. else I will keep using it for now as you said.
One idea another friend suggested is to buy a single channel power amplifier and add it between the receiver and the speaker (in that channel).. His reasoning was that the channel has lower volume but it is producing some sound and hence, mono-channel amplification might do the trick .. will this work or is the most idiotic idea that you have heard?
He found me the following: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Frequency-Channel-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B07518QZ9B/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mono+channel+amplifier&qid=1602644795&refinements=p_36:1253503011&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Thanks very much for your feedback

Regards and Gratitude!
Some avrs have pre-outs for all the channels for use of external amps with but your avr only has pre-outs for a subwoofer, not the rest of the channels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis