Newb looking to complete set up

A

Akoustic

Enthusiast
Hi everyone-
New guy here and have absolutely no idea what Im doing but Ive began the process to build a home theater in the basement(roughly 1k sq ft). Will be primarily used for tv, movies and kids video gaming. Trying to do this on a budget so Ive been shopping mostly used. Here is what I have so far:
Epson Powerlite 2030 projector
100in SI Screen
Denon AVR-X2300w A/V Receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite Smart Remote and Hub

will most likely purchase 5 Revel W263 6in speakers. Will get them close to cost(not retail).

need a sub! Trying to stay under $400. Have been looking at SVS.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
need a sub! Trying to stay under $400. Have been looking at SVS.
SVS are Outstanding engineered subwoofers w/ Awesome performance. But that comes at a cost. Your not going to stay under $400 and fill a 1000sqft space. I would recommend the PB2000 if your going to stay with SVS

If $400 is the max budget i suggest

Or save until you can get the SVS

A

Akoustic

Enthusiast
SVS are Outstanding engineered subwoofers w/ Awesome performance. But that comes at a cost. Your not going to stay under $400 and fill a 1000sqft space. I would recommend the PB2000 if your going to stay with SVS

The basement is 1000sq ft, but the theater will only be used in half this space. Does that matter?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The basement is 1000sq ft, but the theater will only be used in half this space. Does that matter?
Yes it matters. Subwoofers need to fill total volume not just individual room dimensions.

Is there's a wall separating the two spaces?

A

Akoustic

Enthusiast

Theres a used SVS SB12 NSD(older model) for sale locally. Have been eyeing it

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Yea Mazer has a point. If your basement doesn’t have a door than you’re going to need to go bigger like a 12. But if you put a door and basically seal the room you can go with a 10” no problem.

Or get a door and get a 12 make it a show stopper

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
I have an open basement like yours and ive been down this road.....started with a 10...was def not enough....went to a 12" paradigm pw2200....still not enough so i went to 2 pw2200s.....better but was still missing something. Now i have 2 15" hsus and it is finally perfect for me. 1000 sq ft im assuming 8ft ceiling is 8000 cubic feet that is A LOT of space to fill with bass. Save yourself the hassle save up get the most bass u can. I learned the hard way......plus of your whole system i think the better the subwoofer you get will def make the BIGGEST difference in how your setup sounds. Also try to get 2 subs. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that huge room you would probably use a single sub more nearfield for best effect. For $400 maybe the RSL Speedwoofer10s if you can't find an SVS b-stock for that but I'd tend to at least go ported in a room your size. Maybe a pair of Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1500s. Here's an article on how subs and volume relate and the rating used here at Audioholics https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis