Mix different generation speakers (same brand) in home theater ok?

T

tjfish

Audiophyte
Specifically, mixing B&W custom installation 7 series original in-wall speakers with the s2 line.

Want to double check the typical 'use same brand of speaker in surround & height speakers for timber matching' recommendation because of the significant differences across the generation of these speakers.

Wondering if mixing the Nautilus soft dome tweeter with the newer carbon dome tweeters will effect the coloring and object-tracking in an immersive audio environment? And on the mid/bass side, how will the evolution from the aramid blue Kevlar to the Continuum effect the sound. Also understand there were changes to the cross-overs, but don't know the specs or the implications...so, will mixing gen1 & gen2 across the array interfere with the sound tracking/handoffs between speakers?

Noted that some don't like the aramid blue Kevlar B&W has now discontinued and replaced with Continuum to a few rave reviews. Also noted that many aren't believers in Auro-3D content coming to fruition, but if it's as good sounding as the reviews say (including Gene's), I'll take the gamble, designing a 17 speaker array to play to both Auro & Atmos with the Denon x8500 switching capability.

Current plan:
LCR: CWM73s2
LCR Heights: CCM73s2
Surround: CWM7.3
Surround rear: CWM7.4
Surround & Surround Rear Heights: CCM7.5
Top Middle: CWM75s2 (yes, an in-wall speaker placed in ceiling, see other thread on this question...) or CWM7.4
VOG: CWM75s2 or CWM7.5

So I have the whole front sound stage top to bottom, left to right with newer s2's (carbon dome tweeters and Continuum mid/bass). Pretty much could do everything else in the older discontinued and cheaper generation (soft dome + aramid) or get a few additional s2's in Top Middle & VOG per above.

Can't wait to hear the opinions, and if anyone has spec differences between these including dispersion, which is key for the 3 tops I'll be installing.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Specifically, mixing B&W custom installation 7 series original in-wall speakers with the s2 line.

Want to double check the typical 'use same brand of speaker in surround & height speakers for timber matching' recommendation because of the significant differences across the generation of these speakers.

Wondering if mixing the Nautilus soft dome tweeter with the newer carbon dome tweeters will effect the coloring and object-tracking in an immersive audio environment? And on the mid/bass side, how will the evolution from the aramid blue Kevlar to the Continuum effect the sound. Also understand there were changes to the cross-overs, but don't know the specs or the implications...so, will mixing gen1 & gen2 across the array interfere with the sound tracking/handoffs between speakers?

Noted that some don't like the aramid blue Kevlar B&W has now discontinued and replaced with Continuum to a few rave reviews. Also noted that many aren't believers in Auro-3D content coming to fruition, but if it's as good sounding as the reviews say (including Gene's), I'll take the gamble, designing a 17 speaker array to play to both Auro & Atmos with the Denon x8500 switching capability.

Current plan:
LCR: CWM73s2
LCR Heights: CCM73s2
Surround: CWM7.3
Surround rear: CWM7.4
Surround & Surround Rear Heights: CCM7.5
Top Middle: CWM75s2 (yes, an in-wall speaker placed in ceiling, see other thread on this question...) or CWM7.4
VOG: CWM75s2 or CWM7.5

So I have the whole front sound stage top to bottom, left to right with newer s2's (carbon dome tweeters and Continuum mid/bass). Pretty much could do everything else in the older discontinued and cheaper generation (soft dome + aramid) or get a few additional s2's in Top Middle & VOG per above.

Can't wait to hear the opinions, and if anyone has spec differences between these including dispersion, which is key for the 3 tops I'll be installing.
I do believe you'll hear a slight difference with materials between the two. When the S2's dropped I spoke to the one knowledgeable Magnolia employee and he said with the new updated Continuum material it will have a different sound compared to the aramid blue Kevlar. But looking at your setup, I really don't think it will matter and I really don't think you'll notice, since you'll be using the 7.3's as surround speakers. Your main sound stage will be the S2's. Regarding your in-ceiling options, me personally I would stick with one type. I wouldn't mix and match. If you want to use CWM's stick with CWM's and vice versa.

How big is your room? Curious about the 17 channels but only getting a 13 channel AVR? You might need to step up to a 16/32 Channel Processor to really utilize all those speakers. Don't forget you're going to have to feed those B&W's with some decent power. What are you planning to use for Amps? That AVR will not be enough to power all those speakers.

T

tjfish

Audiophyte
I do believe you'll hear a slight difference with materials between the two. When the S2's dropped I spoke to the one knowledgeable Magnolia employee and he said with the new updated Continuum material it will have a different sound compared to the aramid blue Kevlar. But looking at your setup, I really don't think it will matter and I really don't think you'll notice, since you'll be using the 7.3's as surround speakers. Your main sound stage will be the S2's. Regarding your in-ceiling options, me personally I would stick with one type. I wouldn't mix and match. If you want to use CWM's stick with CWM's and vice versa.

How big is your room? Curious about the 17 channels but only getting a 13 channel AVR? You might need to step up to a 16/32 Channel Processor to really utilize all those speakers. Don't forget you're going to have to feed those B&W's with some decent power. What are you planning to use for Amps? That AVR will not be enough to power all those speakers.
Room: ~24'L x ~16'W x ~8'6"H
yes, 17 channels; Denon AVR-x8500h will have 15 connected but only power 11-13 at a time switching depending on audio coding (Atmos vs Auro) always powering the channels 'optimal' for the format. To your point, there will be two other speakers amongst my 17 that aren't hooked up as the 8500 only has 15 terminals, but it's more of a future proofing or provide me the flexibility to swap out speakers/wires already installed. What I haven't decided is which 2 speakers/wires to install but not plug into the Denon...leave off rears to optimize ceiling/height channels for both formats (5.2 + 7 Heights + VOG + 2 Top Middle) or keep rears and leave off a pair of elevation speakers for one of the formats. Think I'll wire/power for the common standard across Atmos & Auro, and when I really want to experience Auro like it's intended, I'll detach the Top Middle cables and plug the surround heights into the Denon.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis