CD Player vs Blu-Ray/DVD Player Prices

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Now that I'm decommissioning my 300-Disc CD changers, I mulled getting a single-disc player as a backup to my SONOS setup. I have a spare Sony DVD player in storage that could serve the purpose, but I thought I might check into it anyway.

Why is it, that CD player prices appear to be around twice the price of Blu-Ray/DVD players?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
and claims of audiophile qualities... ;)

this would be an interesting question do @M Code to chime in on. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Now that I'm decommissioning my 300-Disc CD changers, I mulled getting a single-disc player as a backup to my SONOS setup. I have a spare Sony DVD player in storage that could serve the purpose, but I thought I might check into it anyway.

Why is it, that CD player prices appear to be around twice the price of Blu-Ray/DVD players?
Yup, pure economies of scale. Today, a CD player is a niche product, low mfg and sales volumes.

The only real drawback that I tend to find using a DVD / BDP for CDs is ergonomics. Using a video player for CDs is usually easier if you have a TV hooked up. If you are using it in a HT type setup, then good to go. In a 2 channel rig with no display, it may be challenging to choose the correct tracks, etc. But, some may have their own small display that make this task a bit easier.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Following as I just added a 4K player to my system and have been debating using it for audio also or moving the prior player to audio only. Not sure if it makes sense other than for convenience. The 4K player is the pany dp-ub9000 and the prior Blu-ray is a marantz ud7007. Curious how one of these versus a dedicated CD player would sound/perform.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Following as I just added a 4K player to my system and have been debating using it for audio also or moving the prior player to audio only. Not sure if it makes sense other than for convenience. The 4K player is the pany dp-ub9000 and the prior Blu-ray is a marantz ud7007. Curious how one of these versus a dedicated CD player would sound/perform.
I have a DCD-800NE CD player and a Sony UBP-X700 Bluray player. My ear prefers the sound of the Denon DCD-800NE CD player using the analog outs with the AVR-X4700H when playing CDs.

I also like the ability to control the Denon CD player with the 4700 receiver remote. However, you may not notice a difference? Probably the only way to know would be to purchase a quality CD player from a company with a great return policy and try it.

My test was simply to have two copies of the same CD and mount one in the Sony and one in the Denon. Then start both units and use the receiver to switch between the two devices to compare sound quality.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Would you be able to view a different source and listen to the dvd audio at the same time?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Would you be able to view a different source and listen to the dvd audio at the same time?
I don't understand your question. I was thinking about it strictly from an audio playback point of view in a 2-channel system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just use the dvd player if it works....I've never thought one of my various optical disc players "sounds" better than another, from my old cd only ones thru dvd thru bluray players. I generally don't use the dacs in the players but when I have that's also been transparent.....as it should be.

ps The comment about a display to help you navigate if no separate display involved has influenced my use, tho.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I have a DCD-800NE CD player and a Sony UBP-X700 Bluray player. My ear prefers the sound of the Denon DCD-800NE CD player using the analog outs with the AVR-X4700H when playing CDs.

I also like the ability to control the Denon CD player with the 4700 receiver remote. However, you may not notice a difference? Probably the only way to know would be to purchase a quality CD player from a company with a great return policy and try it.

My test was simply to have two copies of the same CD and mount one in the Sony and one in the Denon. Then start both units and use the receiver to switch between the two devices to compare sound quality.
Good point. If using digital signal transfer via Optical/Coax, or maybe even hdmi, the player becomes more of just a CD transport, right? I've been using the analog XLR outputs with the Marantz over to my receiver. Haven't tried them with the Panasonic yet but I imagine the sound could be different since this would be using the players internal components and DAC, correct? I'm not doing a ton of music listening in this current setup, so I'm thinking of utilizing the UD7007 with our bedroom TV and letting the Panasonic do double duty in the living room, but the subject is a curious one now that there seems to be a move away from physical media.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'd just use the dvd player if it works....I've never thought one of my various optical disc players "sounds" better than another, from my old cd only ones thru dvd thru bluray players. I generally don't use the dacs in the players but when I have that's also been transparent.....as it should be.

ps The comment about a display to help you navigate if no separate display involved has influenced my use, tho.
Yeah, I'm going to test the DVD player to see if works OK. Having looked at the prices of CD players, it would be silly to buy one now, if I have a working device and it's only intended as a back-up. I'm not a golden ear who can tell the difference between DACs. :D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Good point. If using digital signal transfer via Optical/Coax, or maybe even hdmi, the player becomes more of just a CD transport, right? I've been using the analog XLR outputs with the Marantz over to my receiver. Haven't tried them with the Panasonic yet but I imagine the sound could be different since this would be using the players internal components and DAC, correct? I'm not doing a ton of music listening in this current setup, so I'm thinking of utilizing the UD7007 with our bedroom TV and letting the Panasonic do double duty in the living room, but the subject is a curious one now that there seems to be a move away from physical media.
Yes, that's true. When using the optical out on the Denon CD player it simply becomes a CD transport. The other thing you may experience is one player's output may be slightly stronger than another.

After making post #6, I went back and listened to the Sony UBP-X700 Bluray player with "Turn up the Quiet" by Diana Krall and it sounds great. I went back to the DCD-800NE and the difference is small. I don't think most people would notice. In fact, the Denon output is a tiny bit lower than the UBP-X700.

That lead me to try listening to the same album on Qobuz and a 192kHz version I downloaded from HD Tracks. I find music that's on a CD or in full CD format or 192kHz Flac on my hard disk tends to sound a bit fuller than any music streaming service I have tried. But the streaming services are great for trying new music.

Bottom line, you will probably be totally happy using the dp-ub9000 as your CD player without buying a separate CD player.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not a golden ear who can tell the difference between DACs.
Tape some magnets to the wires for best results.
Have you considered one of those Sony 5 disc changers?
Used from CL is what I pick up for my boyfriend's garage.
'bout $30 - $50 ... here in civilization. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I see those 5 disc players at thrift stores all the time for $10-15! Go search.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I don't understand your question. I was thinking about it strictly from an audio playback point of view in a 2-channel system.
I like to watch tv and listen to music at the same time. If you plug the DVD player into the cd slot, you may not have access to the settings via osd. If you listen thru the dvd port you may not be able to watch anything else on your display.
I am sure there are work around s that some of our members know about

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I like to watch tv and listen to music at the same time. If you plug the DVD player into the cd slot, you may not have access to the settings via osd. If you listen thru the dvd port you may not be able to watch anything else on your display.
I am sure there are work around s that some of our members know about
Ah, I follow you now. This is a 2-channel set-up with no TV, so not really an issue.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Tape some magnets to the wires for best results.
Did that ages ago. Worked miracles because that's real science.
Have you considered one of those Sony 5 disc changers?
Used from CL is what I pick up for my boyfriend's garage.
'bout $30 - $50 ... here in civilization. :)
No, whatever I use will just be a back-up for musical emergencies :p, so the DVD player will be fine...if it works. I haven't dug it out of the basement yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis