Subwoofer prewire Question

J

JCM

Enthusiast
Howdy yall,

I am hoping I can get some insight from you smart folks.

Thirteen years ago we had the home we were building with a ton of low-voltage for speakers, TVs, etc. One of the pre-wires was to place a Subwoofer in the back corner of the room. I am finally getting around to hook that up. There is a single post to plug into the subwoofer.

In the AV cabinet there are two posts labeled "Powered Sub". When I insert the sub cable into either one of those from the receiver nothing happens. I double checked everything and it certainly has to do with the lead from the AV cabinet to the remote placement of the Sub in the back of the room.

Is there something I am missing as to why there are two inputs from the cabinet to the one output at the location those are going to? Would a simple "Y" cable to plug into the two posts in the AV cabinet solve something? There were no other prewiring for a subwoofer. Just the one.

I tried reaching out to the installer who is long out of the install business and have not heard back.

Thanks for any inputs or suggestions you may have.

JCM

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Does the sub work OK if you place it near the receiver, with a regular interconnect from the receiver to the sub?

J

JCM

Enthusiast
Does the sub work OK if you place it near the receiver, with a regular interconnect from the receiver to the sub?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes it does.

I am trying to read the tea leaves with the installer as to what the purpose may have been to have two inputs at the source vs one at the placement area and yet neither input in the AV cabinet works. It is clearly labeled.

Thanks for chiming in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps he was thinking of gear that didn't have a sub pre-out but rather stereo pre-outs? Is the wiring in a conduit so you can remove the old wire and replace it?

J

JCM

Enthusiast
Perhaps he was thinking of gear that didn't have a sub pre-out but rather stereo pre-outs? Is the wiring in a conduit so you can remove the old wire and replace it?
Unfortunately, no.

My thoughts are now to return the sub I purchased and pony up for a wireless one. I always prefer a nice wire to hook up.

Maybe I am just old.

Thanks for the interest.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis