The Philharmonic Audio BMR, Refreshed!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was hoping our good friend would pop in and show off the goods... I know a few people have already been talking about @D Murphy 's new gear... But this is too cool to not show off for those of us that like shiny cabinets that make pertty sounds. :p

New photos here:

@shadyJ 's review from early 2019

More details here:

Dennis, the new stuff is looking great! Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us! :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The look Beautiful!!!

So what's the difference between the Philharmonic and the Salk?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As I recall, there are something like 7 coats of lacquer on the new factory BMR's. They're expensive cabinets.
Hey Dennis!
Is there somewhere to find a shot of the front view of the mini-monitors?

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
So thrilled to see you back @D Murphy ! The new BMRs look fantastic IMO. Can’t wait to hear em down the road

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
As I recall, there are something like 7 coats of lacquer on the new factory BMR's. They're expensive cabinets.
IIRC Salks have 12-15 coats.

Edit: To add:

Your cabinets do look primo with the veneer following the curve. Nice middle of the road price point between the Salk and the flat pack with some serious WAF in the looks department.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not yet. But who knows what lies within the remaining BMR boxes.
such a tease... :p

GUYS:
*hint
dig a little deeper into the posts on that other forum! ;) it doesn't take that long to power scan 5 or 10 pages. :D

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I was under the impression the new BMR’s are Chinese assembled with mostly Chinese (high quality) components and outsourced cabinets.

I think it’s great to have a “budget” option and I don’t see it as detracting from Salk in any fashion. Any hopes of a similar budget philharmonic coming out?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For the new BMRs, SB Acoustics manufactures in Indonesia, IIRC. Raal is in Serbia. Tectonic is an American company in California, manufacturing in China. The XOs are from Bennic in Taiwan.
We know the cabinets are sourced from China.
Final assembly is here in the US.

See below:

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
There's a little more of a difference than that. The Salk versions use the original Scan woofer and its associated crossover. And, of course, Jim can use any kind of veneer and finish you want.
Dennis,
Do you prefer the original Scan woofer and crossover over the new design?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Dennis,
Do you prefer the original Scan woofer and crossover over the new design?
I'm not sure if it's a matter of preference of one vs. the other.

The newer design with the SB woofer has higher sensitivity and a simpler crossover from woofer to mid, while only giving up a small amount of power handling capability at the very low end (at least, that's what I remember him writing in that other place).

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure if it's a matter of preference of one vs. the other.

The newer design with the SB woofer has higher sensitivity and a simpler crossover from woofer to mid, while only giving up a small amount of power handling capability at the very low end (at least, that's what I remember him writing in that other place).
You're right about power handling, although the Scan is a really high bar. The trade-off for a little extra volume at 34 Hz is a very heavy cone that breaks up fairly early and requires a steep slope to the mid to suppress the breakup. The SB Ceramic is much smoother, to the point that on quite a bit of music you might think you were listening to a decent 2-way if you played the woofer alone without a crossover. That allowed me to use a second order acoustic slope on the woof-mid circuit, which increased sensitivity. But the Xover isn't any simpler. It has the same number of components as the 4th order (both are 3rd order electrical). The component values are just chosen to roll the woofer off more gradually. The most complex crossovers are 1st order acoustic, because the acoustic output of the woofer has to be so carefully tailored.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the clarification. I see from the SB ceramic data sheets that it's pretty smooth all the way up to several kHz, so they've really managed to push the breakup to a high frequency.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis