Please recommend some good HDMI cables

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’m needing some HDMI cables. Not interested in any expensive esoteric stuff, just something with quality construction that will last a long time. Like, forever or close to it. :)

All recommendations appreciated.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I still stand by the Monoprice certified premium HDMI.
I think it’s @BMXTRIX who likes their slim HDMIs.
But for me, I have 6 in use and all worked flawlessly. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure you've read the cable articles over at BJC. They're far from esoteric but they're not exactly Monoprice cheap either. Go USA !!!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mediabridge, good cable's, now you can get the Braided fancy ones cost more for Durability and maybe A little more Aesthetically pleasing to the eye if that's your poison. Me? I wouldn't pay for a Fancy looking cable when a 30 buck one will do the job as well. But with this hobby being very Subjective and some will pay any price. Cheers!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I still stand by the Monoprice certified premium HDMI.
I think it’s @BMXTRIX who likes their slim HDMIs.
But for me, I have 6 in use and all worked flawlessly. :)
@ryanosaur "Certified" huh? how much that cost to get that printed on the package? :p;) just jacking with you bro.:) Kind of like @AcuDefTechGuy, . So I Address him as: Mr ATT:p;) you know like AT&T:D. and when Andrew drops the hammer on a thread I'm sure you have seen me post this up:
76878257-E0E7-4C84-A321-7001A49539B2.gif

Get it now, :D

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
:rolleyes:

Looks like $10 for a 10' cable, and $9 for the 6' length. Considering how much other cr@p I've tossed out, both cheaper and more expensive, for not working...

I'll take the 6 for 6 track record Monoprice has delivered so far.

:cool:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m needing some HDMI cables. Not interested in any expensive esoteric stuff, just something with quality construction that will last a long time. Like, forever or close to it. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The questions that need asking are application. How long are the cables? The next is what bandwidth do you need, in other words what HDCP version do you require? For the new era long passive HDMI cables are asking for trouble.

If you are going 4 or 8K for instance, and the distance is over 10' and certainly for sure around 20' then I strongly recommend that you use a hybrid optical/copper HDMI cable.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I’m needing some HDMI cables. Not interested in any expensive esoteric stuff, just something with quality construction that will last a long time. Like, forever or close to it.
Monoprice slim cables from 1' to 8' in length are perfect for the current HDMI 2.0 18Gb/s standard of 4K. They range from about 6 to 10 bucks per cable and work perfectly well for data rates up to the full 18Gb/s which 4K HDMI offers at this time.

If you need to go longer, then you may want to seriously consider something like a Ruipro fiber hdmi cable. They have the muscle to get that much data over a much further distance as necessary.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think many think to check Accessories4less for HDMI selection, but they actually have an impressive selection including extenders and amplifiers.
Some of the pricing gets into snake oil territory, but if you know/understand what specs you need, I think you can get some pretty good cables out of them!

Here's a great deal if anyone needs a 320 foot cable! Discounted from $1380 to $110!
Better hurry! I'm sure these are just flying off of the shelves!:rolleyes:
Seriously where would someone have use for a 320 foot HDMI cable? I guess maybe if you put the source in the center of the football stadium (to one side of the field, it would reach the screen in the end zone (1ea to reach each end)?

Last edited:
Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Depends on the length of your cable run and what you want to push. For "future proofing", the ONLY way to achieve that is to use a conduit for in-wall runs or have easy access to your cabling.

My rule of thumb:
For 4k HDR runs up to 25', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable with the QR label of authenticity. The certification just means that the cable was tested by a standardized set of testing protocols and instrumentation to meet the HDMI 2.0 hardware option sets. Any cable mfr can submit their cables for testing so cable prices are competitive. Not a 100% guarantee but pretty close to it. BJC, MediaBridge, Monoprice all offer quality certified cables.

For 4k HDR runs over 25', hybrid fiber cables are what is going to work best. The downside is cost as they are expensive. Ruirpo has about the best reputation around at present for high quality hybrid fiber cables, and their customer support is very good.

As far as the HDMI 2.1 option sets go, Ultra High Speed HDMI cables will be the certified designation but there aren't any HDMI certified cables available yet. When available, they will be passive and probably no longer than 10' (3m).

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Guess I should have mentioned, the application is primarily for in-rack – as long as I’ve been here I should have known to be more specific!

I’m going with a combination of Blue Jeans FE Series for in-rack gear and Monoprice Certified for cables that would be plugged into the system temporarily (such as from a laptop for a family Zoom meeting).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I use the Monoprice DynamicView Ultra 8K Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 48Gbps, 8K, Dynamic HDR, eARC, 6ft Black. I bought them on Amazon as they offer free shipping.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think many think to check Accessories4less for HDMI selection, but they actually have an impressive selection including extenders and amplifiers.
Some of the pricing gets into snake oil territory, but if you know/understand what specs you need, I think you can get some pretty good cables out of them!

Here's a great deal if anyone needs a 320 foot cable! Discounted from $1380 to $110!
Better hurry! I'm sure these are just flying off of the shelves!:rolleyes:
Seriously where would someone have use for a 320 foot HDMI cable? I guess maybe if you put the source in the center of the football stadium (to one side of the field, it would reach the screen in the end zone (1ea to reach each end)?
I could run the HDMI line from my house to my car in case I want to catch some TV on the road.

Which reminds me, I actually saw a guy eating with chopsticks while driving through a double crossover diamond interchange the other day. He deserves some sort of an honorable mention for "Voted Most Likely to Win a Darwin Award."

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Guess I should have mentioned, the application is primarily for in-rack – as long as I’ve been here I should have known to be more specific!

I’m going with a combination of Blue Jeans FE Series for in-rack gear and Monoprice Certified for cables that would be plugged into the system temporarily (such as from a laptop for a family Zoom meeting).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The BJC FE series are good cables. I was using them for quite awhile and never had an issue with 4k HDR.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I have tested some of the higher priced stuff. No better than a certified cheaper cable. I don't like to buy untested/uncertified stuff as the cheap stuff often can be of dubious quality. HDMI 2.1 which can do 8K video is perfectly capable for all the down standards and the 8K certified stuff is not too expensive. I have a Microcenter close by and they carry QVS cables. Perfectly fine with them and they are not that expensive. Kordz also certifies their cables and they brag about the standards they pass. Audioquest is too expensive and they don't certify their stuff. Guess what I buy? QVS from Microcenter which is certified!

A cable rated for 4K or 8K certified for that matter is way more than required for HDMI audio passthrough. On my computer I have a QVS cable to my Viewsonic XG3220 monitor with built in speakers. It plays audio perfectly on those speakers for what they are. I so much prefer my bookshelf LX-16's though over the monitor speakers. And on that I use a USB connection via SPDIF that is decoded by my DAC/AMP. The fact is that HDMI for audio pass through is just not that demanding. And the USB cable is cheap also. Digital requires a clean signal but not power and as such does not require much in cabling.

Last edited:
Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
There are no certified cables for 8k, or HDMI 2.1 in general for that matter. At least not certified by an ATC. There are lots of carefully worded product descriptions and slick marketing, but nothing is tested by standardized testing protocols and instrumentation approved and authorized by HDMI.org. And if the cable is active, it will be a long time, if ever, that they will be certified.

HDMI is backwards compatible but only to the in-common option sets. So yes, a cable that claims HDMI 2.1 options sets will work for the HDMI 2.0 options sets and lower but keep in mind that to get the full benefit of HDMI 2.1, the source chipsets have to be capable of HDMI 2.1 as well as the sink chipsets. The cable is just the data pipe, it can not alter or change the signal that it is carrying in any way. Ultimately it's the HDMI chipsets in the source/sink end that determine what you can send and receive. And, at this point in time, there is no way for the consumer to verify the cable mfrs claims until there are certified HDMI 2.1 chipsets in the devices and there is source material that requires the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.1.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I use a lot of Vanco cables, partly because they work, they come with lifetime warranty and some versions have a method of staying in the ports called 'Secure Fit'.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis