3 Tech Questions for Videoholics

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
SITUATION:
Upgrading a wall mounted, flat panel in a no-window HT (15 ft. x 18 ft.) from an older 65" 1080P Samsung plasma to a 85" 4K HDR display.
- Max budget is $2,300 (inc. ship/tax). HT use is for movies (Blu-Ray and 4K Streaming), TV sports, and also multi-channel audio.
- The two Main Viewing Positions (MVP ;)) are 13 ft. from screen with "cheap seats" in same (only) row 4.5 ft. to each side of center.
Pythagoras says the "cheap seats" have a 20 degree viewing angle.

OPTIONS:
Considering two 85" panels at our local Military Exchange (no ship, no tax); Sony X800H ($1,900) or Samsung Q60T ($2,100).

During my "homework" on these models, on 4K HDR TV Comparison and RTINGS.com, I found a couple video-geek questions I need help with.
I'm more of an audio-centric HT guy, thanks in advance.

QUESTIONS:
1) Does Sony change from IPS panel technology to VA panel technology (like Samsung) on their 75" and 85" X800H models?

- The 4K HDR TV Compare site's comparison table says Sony X800H 75" & 85" TVs have VA panels versus IPS panels on the smaller X800H models.
I was unable to verify this on Sony's site or anywhere else.
- If true, a VA panel would negate Sony's IPS panel wide-angle viewing advantage and contrast/black level disadvantage, making these two models very close in spec.

2) Will a Samsung Q60T (VA panel) adequately cover a +/- 20 degree viewing angle?
- On the RTINGS.com site, the Samsung Q60T (VA panel) and the Sony X800H (IPS) have the following Viewing Angle sub-component values:

TV (panel)
Color Washout Angle
Color Shift Angle
Brightness Loss Angle
Black Level Loss Angle
Gamma Shift Angle
Samsung Q60T (VA)
23 deg​
28 deg​
32 deg​
15 deg
17 deg
Sony X800H (IPS)
42 deg​
60 deg​
44 deg​
70 deg​
59 deg​
- My understanding is the values represent angular deflection from center, NOT a total +/- angle value, so the room's maximum 20 degree viewing angle would cause a VA panel (Samsung, Sony?) to go "red" for Black Level Loss and Gamma Shift.

3) Are there other 85" 4K HDR panels I should consider <$2,300.
- We have a smaller 4K Sony smart TV in another room, so are comfortable with either brand's user interface/quality/etc.

XEagleDriver

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I can't answer your questions, but I would say that when I bought my Sony XBR900 in 2018, it was very well regarded across the board. I was buying it for gaming as well as HT, so I wanted to make certain it was as solid as could be.
No regrets.
I see them listing at 2500 right now... and would say spending that extra little bit is worthwhile. :)

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
ryanosaur,
Thanks, your response encouraged me to open up the aperture and look at 75" screens with better viewing angle, sports support (refresh rate), and dark room movie performance (local dimming).
- From same vendor found: 75" Samsung Q80T ($2,400) or 75" Sony X950H ($2,700).
The Q80T has slightly better bench marks, particularly in viewing angle, at $300 less cost (on edge of budget) and is the lead dog now.

I was shooting for a "last TV" size for the room, but desired performance within budget will drive one size smaller.
- Still a large upgrade: adding 4K, HDR, and 33% more screen area (1800 sq. inch vs 2400 sq. inch)
XEagleDriver

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Good point. My kids could stand to learn that...
My kids used to look at me like I was Crazy when I told them some of the things I grew up with. Now my Grandkids 3 - 13 look at me like I'm crazy. It's funny when I look at their faces looking at me when they are thinking (Grandpa's Crazy)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My kids used to look at me like I was Crazy when I told them some of the things I grew up with. Now my Grandkids 3 - 13 look at me like I'm crazy. It's funny when I look at their faces looking at me when they are thinking (Grandpa's Crazy)
Lol. I hear that. I have two kids 13yo and and 18yo. I try not to share too many stories of ehem, younger days. They think I’m nuts enough!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis