New Marantz gear .....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do read about tray mechanisms failing in time, but often serviceable altho if parts are needed availability could be an issue. Maintenance is a good thing.

D

Dibblestein

Audiophyte
Hi, everyone. I've been a subscriber to the Audioholic emails for many years but haven't visited the forums before.

I'm interested in whether the SACD 30n can stream and decode multi-channel FLACs and DSD files. I have a Marantz SR5013 receiver with HEOS. I like the way the HEOS app works, allowing me to stream from my network library and build playlists. But it can and does play stereo FLACs and DSD files, but cannot play multichannel. I saw that Tony Leotta reviewed the Marantz 30 series devices this month, but I cannot find the answer to my question.

Anyone here have the answer?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It appears to be only a 2ch unit. You'd need either hdmi or a full set of analog outs for multich SACD, tho. Several Sony bluray players handle multich sacd well....

D

Dibblestein

Audiophyte
It appears to be only a 2ch unit. You'd need either hdmi or a full set of analog outs for multich SACD, tho. Several Sony bluray players handle multich sacd well....
Thanks, I'll have to research those.

I have an Oppo which streams multi channel pretty well, but it doesn't do playlists, something that I really enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'll have to research those.

I have an Oppo which streams multi channel pretty well, but it doesn't do playlists, something that I really enjoy.
Your Oppo doesn't play multich sacd? How do playlists figure in?

D

Dibblestein

Audiophyte
Your Oppo doesn't play multich sacd? How do playlists figure in?
Sorry, I did a poor job of explaining my question.

Yes, my Oppo does play multichannel SACD. What I like to do is stream ripped stereo and multichannel FLACs and DSD files from my network attached music library. The Oppo does stream them, both stereo and multichannel. You control it either by the Oppo remote control or by the Oppo app on my iPhone. The Oppo app is a bit unpredictable and does not allow me to create playlists.

The HEOS app that I use on my Marantz SR5013 receiver works very well and is easy to learn. It lets me build playlists but, even though the receiver is a home theater receiver that does multichannel very well if played from a disk or through my Oppo, the HEOS app doesn't stream multichannel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I did a poor job of explaining my question.

Yes, my Oppo does play multichannel SACD. What I like to do is stream ripped stereo and multichannel FLACs and DSD files from my network attached music library. The Oppo does stream them, both stereo and multichannel. You control it either by the Oppo remote control or by the Oppo app on my iPhone. The Oppo app is a bit unpredictable and does not allow me to create playlists.

The HEOS app that I use on my Marantz SR5013 receiver works very well and is easy to learn. It lets me build playlists but, even though the receiver is a home theater receiver that does multichannel very well if played from a disk or through my Oppo, the HEOS app doesn't stream multichannel.
So why not create playable playslists on your drives? What are you using for streaming software? I'm not familiar with HEOS at all, my gear predates it. I do like multich music and generally use foobar2000....

D

Dibblestein

Audiophyte
So why not create playable playslists on your drives? What are you using for streaming software? I'm not familiar with HEOS at all, my gear predates it. I do like multich music and generally use foobar2000....
My network attached music library is a Melco. I have a number of apps that I can use to stream, but the only way I've been able to stream my multichannel rips is via the Oppo. I've been unable to create playlists using their iPhone app.For instance, I love "This is the Moody Blues" for the selection of songs and their sequence on the album. I own pretty much all of the original albums the songs appeared on and have them in multichannel rips but the Oppo app won't let me build the selected songs into a playlist emulating "This is..." Plus, even though the Oppo has a gapless playback setting, there are gaps/interruptions. Other streaming devices and their corresponding apps do a better job, like my Marantz and its HEOS app. Alas, I have found no multichannel HEOS yet.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Did Denon go this way and put out a 2ch (or 2.1, 2.2) amp that features eq, DSP and so on?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis