Samsung Q80 TV connection with Denon AVR-X1500H Receiver

J

JohnP44

Audiophyte
My cable box is connected to my Denon which connects to Samsung Q80 using HDMI (ARC). We use 2 remotes: CBL/TV and Denon. We power on Denon remote and then CBL/TV remote. This worked great for 10 months but recently the TV shuts off after about 30 seconds and Denon goes from CBL/SAT mode to TV Audio. If I hit CBL/SAT button on Denon, the TV usually turns on, but sometimes it takes several tries for the TV to come on. This is an effective (but annoying) workaround for me but my wife gets very confused about it. Hitting 2 buttons is her limit. This worked fine for 10 months so why is it now a problem? I need to solve this problem so my wife can watch our home theatre TV without my assistance in setting up.

I contacted the vendor I bought Denon from. They tried a couple of things but could not fix it. They said that the Samsung TV may be sending signal to receiver causing it to switch modes and causing TV to shut off. If that is true, why did it just start recently and what is triggering it to do this?

One other thing. I had to do a factory reset on Denon a couple of weeks ago due to the Denon remote freezing (we use Denon remote to control sound on TV) and the problem began after that. The vendor walked me thru the factory reset so it seems unlikely that something was done incorrectly.

This is my first post and I look forward to your recommendations of how to solve this problem.
Thanks,
John

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
John welcome! I’d say try another receiver if you have one and see what happens. If you don’t then I think it might be your Denon. I’d say return it and get another model.

J

JohnP44

Audiophyte
John welcome! I’d say try another receiver if you have one and see what happens. If you don’t then I think it might be your Denon. I’d say return it and get another model.
Thanks afterlife2. Hopefully I will not have to do that. I want to do some troubleshooting first.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks afterlife2. Hopefully I will not have to do that. I want to do some troubleshooting first.
The only thing left is checking your cables or tv settings. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My cable box is connected to my Denon which connects to Samsung Q80 using HDMI (ARC). We use 2 remotes: CBL/TV and Denon. We power on Denon remote and then CBL/TV remote. This worked great for 10 months but recently the TV shuts off after about 30 seconds and Denon goes from CBL/SAT mode to TV Audio. If I hit CBL/SAT button on Denon, the TV usually turns on, but sometimes it takes several tries for the TV to come on. This is an effective (but annoying) workaround for me but my wife gets very confused about it. Hitting 2 buttons is her limit. This worked fine for 10 months so why is it now a problem? I need to solve this problem so my wife can watch our home theatre TV without my assistance in setting up.

I contacted the vendor I bought Denon from. They tried a couple of things but could not fix it. They said that the Samsung TV may be sending signal to receiver causing it to switch modes and causing TV to shut off. If that is true, why did it just start recently and what is triggering it to do this?

One other thing. I had to do a factory reset on Denon a couple of weeks ago due to the Denon remote freezing (we use Denon remote to control sound on TV) and the problem began after that. The vendor walked me thru the factory reset so it seems unlikely that something was done incorrectly.

This is my first post and I look forward to your recommendations of how to solve this problem.
Thanks,
John
Did you do a firmware update after the reset? Resets usually take you to the original firmware.

Try turning off CEC on your TV and receiver. Often this function can cause a battle between units trying to control each other.

If all this fails, I would be inclined to suspect the Samsung TV rather than the receiver. Has there been a recent firmware update on your Samsung? I ask this as we have had a number of posts lately on Samsung TVs, not interacting well with receivers. I personally think that Samsung TVs are a bad purchase, and try to steer people away from them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It sounds like you are running into CEC issues.

If you are running all of your equipment into the A/V receiver, then on to the TV, then you don't need HDMI CEC turned on. Just turn on the receiver and turn on the TV separately. Oh, and this is a good example of why universal remotes are the bomb.

But, when HDMI-CEC is turned on, strange things can happen. Especially if you have some device off to the side which may be going to sleep or doing something else. Perhaps a streaming device like a Roku or AppleTV. It may wake up with your 'ON' command, but when it goes to sleep, it shuts EVERYTHING it can down. Hey! That's EXACTLY what CEC is supposed to do. Except, then you understand why CEC sucks.

Turn off HDMI-CEC on everything you can, and see if you fix the issue. If you have any other devices beyond your cable box, Denon, and Samsung all connected, then also turn off HDMI-CEC in those devices.

J

JohnP44

Audiophyte

Thanks,
John
Problem solved. Trying to resolve the problem myself, I did factory reset of Denon receiver and was not getting sound thru my Denon but thru TV. I called vendor for help. While waiting for call back I did another reset. I could now get sound from Denon but still had the switch to TV audio problem.

The tech who called me back had me go to Setup menu on Denon, Video, HDMI. The TV Audio Switching was ON. Turned that off and now the Denon no longer switches to TV audio and works as it should.

Somehow it must have gotten set on during factory reset a few weeks ago. Who knows, that may be a default. Hats off to this guy for a seemingly simple fix to a problem several of his colleagues spent a lot of time on but could not solve.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis