Processor Help - Anthem or Rotel

M

minorc

Enthusiast
Good Morning all!

Just joined, happy to be here!

I am taking the plunge switching from a receiver to separates, picked up a Rotel RMB-1585 last december and I'm looking to mate it with a good processor.

I've narrowed it down to two choices in my budget (2000-4000cdn)

Anthem AVM60
Rotel RSP-1576mkii ( once released )

The Anthem seems to be the winner to me with more features including balanced XLR's, however I'm curious to what the forum thinks.

Also, is there any other options I could or should be looking into at this price range?

Thanks!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good Morning all!

I am taking the plunge switching from a receiver to separates, picked up a Rotel RMB-1585 last december and I'm looking to mate it with a good processor.

Anthem AVM60

The Anthem seems to be the winner to me with more features including balanced XLR's, however I'm curious to what the forum thinks.

Also, is there any other options I could or should be looking into at this price range?

Thanks!
Switching to separate power amps is good as long as you pick one that really is better than some receivers that have very good internal amps such as D+M, and Yamaha's.

To separate AV preamp processor is good too if money is not a factor, though it will be tough to find one that would actually perform better than even a Denon AVR on the test bench. You can certainly find one that will perform as good for real world use. If you want opinions based on subjective views, you may not get a lot of responses here (just my guess), other than from owners, who tend to tell you they think what they have are great choices. For objective views, based on bench measurements typically, you may visit ASR that has tested quite a few preamp/processors.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Good Morning all!

Anthem AVM60

Thanks!
You can't go wrong with either. Both are solid choices. Anthem and Rotel are great companies and make really good amps and processors. If I were to choose, I would stick with same company for both processor and amp. So Rotel has my vote.

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
Both are great in units (rotel rsp 1576 and anthem)

I had both, and decided even without room eq, the rotel was the winner.
Had a sweeter sound , and better steering and more realistic bubble of surround..

To be honest, in my setup I hated ARC.. Even when correcting to 500hz, it affect the rest of the range.. Meaning, the mids and highs are still touched somehow... I'm not the only one that hears this, in AVS there are lots of others that feel the same way..

That aside, the anthem is very nice and skinda stellar with ARC off..

But in the end, Rotel in my system was better.

Now that DIRAC is in rotel, it will change things even more (in a positive way)..

I have been waiting years for rotel to get an eq system and now they chose the best..

Again, I love both products, but they have their own unique sound.. And rotel with my rotel amps was the best...

M

minorc

Enthusiast
The Rotel even without balanced XLR still the winner for you, interesting.

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
Yup... no need for XLR. I'm not running long distance from preamp to amps.

I have yet to hear a difference between XLR and unbakanced connections anyway.. XLR is just louser and less hum if long distance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since you're in Canada I vote for Anthem :). Why do you need XLR?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What I don’t understand is why Rotel would put XLR Inputs on their Amp, but don’t bother to put XLR Outputs on their Pre-pro.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good point, altho it matters little generally....
It matters a lot to people who want/desire XLR connectors.

I would never buy a pre-pro without XLR. I think a lot of people who want XLR feel the same. It has nothing to do with SQ.

I think that’s why Rotel and most companies put XLR on their amps. Same reason Yamaha put XLR in their flagship AVR. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It matters a lot to people who want/desire XLR connectors.

I would never buy a pre-pro without XLR. I think a lot of people who wants XLR feel the same. It has nothing to do with SQ.

I think that’s why Rotel and most companies put XLR on their amps. Same reason Yamaha put XLR in their flagship AVR. The heart wants what the heart wants.
Exactly why I don't care about XLR is the silly need without reason thing.

M

minorc

Enthusiast
It's just a shame that I can't utilize the connections from the 1585 Rotel Power Amp to the brand new Processor.
I'm leaning more toward the Anthem, seems like they're focus is really on HT but I have to admit, part of me really wants to mate it with the Rotel for continuity.

From what I understand, Anthem is releasing a new pre/pro in the new year... since the AVM60's been out for 5 years I wonder if it's a bad move to invest in old tech as well

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
FYI the new rotel uses the newest Texas DSP unlike previous rotel rsp 1576..
So even rotel will be upto date..

As for 8k, rotel has in past offered hdmi hardware upgrades, so we cross fingers maybe they will do this..

Even if they don't, I can always get an hdfury 8k hdmi switch in future that would have 2 hdmi out.. One for sound to send back to rotel and other to display..

Having both anthem and rotel, I don't miss the anthem at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is more to LIFE than just NEED, especially if it doesn't really cost anymore. That's why we have options.

If your MOM or children want something that doesn't really cost any more, are you going to REFUSE them and justify that they don't really NEED it? :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's just a shame that I can't utilize the connections from the 1585 Rotel Power Amp to the brand new Processor.
I'm leaning more toward the Anthem, seems like they're focus is really on HT but I have to admit, part of me really wants to mate it with the Rotel for continuity.

From what I understand, Anthem is releasing a new pre/pro in the new year... since the AVM60's been out for 5 years I wonder if it's a bad move to invest in old tech as well
I can understand why companies don't put XLR in AVRs. The reason is because most people who buy AVRs don't buy separate amps.

Yamaha is the exception since they actually put XLR Input and Outputs on their flagship AVR (at least for the Main Front 2 speakers).

That's right. An AVR Receiver that has XLR Inputs and Outputs for the main L/R.

But to NOT put XLR on a flagship Pre-pro is not cool in my book. I would think Rotel is losing some sales because of this.

If we look at ALL the $2K+ Amps available, I bet 100% of those amps have XLR. Is it because most people don't "NEED" XLR? :D

Most people don't "NEED" Separate Pre-pro and Amps either. But many people sure "WANT" them.

And if they can't get what they WANT from one company, they will get what they want from ANOTHER company.

Anyway, you have 2 opposing views there.

One side says that you don't "NEED" XLR.

The other side says, "If it makes you HAPPY, than dammit it can't be that bad". :D

M

minorc

Enthusiast
I can understand why companies don't put XLR in AVRs. The reason is because most people who buy AVRs don't buy separate amps.

Yamaha is the exception since they actually put XLR Input and Outputs on their flagship AVR (at least for the Main Front 2 speakers).

That's right. An AVR Receiver that has XLR Inputs and Outputs for the main L/R.

But to NOT put XLR on a flagship Pre-pro is not cool in my book. I would think Rotel is losing some sales because of this.

If we look at ALL the $2K+ Amps available, I bet 100% of those amps have XLR. Is it because most people don't "NEED" XLR? :D

Most people don't "NEED" Separate Pre-pro and Amps either. But many people sure "WANT" them.

And if they can't get what they WANT from one company, they will get what they want from ANOTHER company.

Anyway, you have 2 opposing views there.

One side says that you don't "NEED" XLR.

The other side says, "If it makes you HAPPY, than dammit it can't be that bad". :D
Agree totally, and to me personally it doesn't make much sense.
Why have XLR on your power amps and not your processors?

Maybe they're trying to capture amp business assuming they won't sell their processor as combo, I don't know

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agree totally, and to me personally it doesn't make much sense.
Why have XLR on your power amps and not your processors?

Maybe they're trying to capture amp business assuming they won't sell their processor as combo, I don't know
I noticed that about the Rotel pre-pro a few years ago.

I figured Rotel would eventually put XLR on their pre-pro like EVERYONE ELSE. But I guess wrong.

Even the $1K Outlaw pre-pro has all XLR outputs.

An AVR has XRL Inputs and Outputs.

But no, not the flagship pre-pro from Rotel, which is supposed to be a high-end SEPARATES company. They don't WANT XLR. They just NEED RCA. :D

M

minorc

Enthusiast
I noticed that about the Rotel pre-pro a few years ago.

I figured Rotel would eventually put XLR on their pre-pro like EVERYONE ELSE. But I guess wrong.

Even the $1K Outlaw pre-pro has all XLR outputs.

An AVR has XRL Inputs and Outputs.

But no, not the flagship pre-pro from Rotel, which is supposed to be a high-end SEPARATES company. They don't WANT XLR. They just NEED RCA. :D
They must know something we don't.
Don't drink the kool-aid

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They must know something we don't.
Don't drink the kool-aid
Yeah, they knew there would be people who will tell you, "You don't need XLR. These XLRs aren't the connectors you're looking for". :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis