Help needed: Powered speakers with AV Receiver Pros / Cons

J

Jdub of Jax

Audiophyte
I inherited two older stereo systems due to the passing of my father-in-law. Both have powered tower speakers and I am curious if I should use either of them with my home stereo. I currently have a Yamaha A1040 with small satellite speakers and dual SVS PB 12 subs for HT.

I inherited the following:
Meridian 501 Control unit, Meridian 504 FM Tuner, Meridian 508 CD Player and Meridian M60 loudspeakers.

B&O Beosound 9000 with Beolab 8000 speakers.

Would reusing either pair of these speakers be recommended? The M60s have XLR cables and the Beolabs look proprietary connections.

i have been looking for new speakers but don’t want to overlook these I already have without a few opinions of people smarter than me on the topic. Get a decent passive speaker or use these?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just get appropriate cables and try it out....you might like the towers instead of the sats.

J

Jdub of Jax

Audiophyte
So I need to buy male RCA to female XLR cable to get signal to speakers?

J

Jdub of Jax

Audiophyte
So I ended up hooking up the Beolab 8000s since they only needed a single RCA from the pre-out to the speaker. Since my satellite speakers are ceiling mounted I am going to hook up the fronts as Presence speakers. Having towers hooked up, definitely highlights I am in need for a nice 3 way center channel.

I am curious if the presence speakers will really add much effect.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis