Speaker and speaker wire questions

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hello!

I have a couple of questions I'm looking for help on.

First, I decided to gift my Philharmonic AA speakers to my daughter-in-law. They were in the bedroom, so they didn't get a whole lot of use. But I think I'm going to miss having speakers in the bedroom at some point. They really did sound good, especially for the money I spent ($200). So, that brings me to my first question. The new AA monitors are $290 now. Would it be best just to get another pair, or is there another brand I should look at? There will no sub involved as these would be just for two channel listening. I have an old but capable Yamaha 2500 to drive them. No way I am spending more then what the new AAs cost.

Second question - What would you recommend as speaker wire for a set-up that has spring clips at one end (my daughter-in-law's very old Yamaha receiver) and the AA monitors I am giving her (which of course can accept a variety of connections? Thanks a lot of any help.

Earl

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unless she’s doing a long run, probably 14ga would work. Just need to make certain it fits in the spring clips.
If you are gifting it, I would recommend making certain the cables are accident proof, and terminate the speaker end, and tin the receiver end. ;)

Dennis is no longer selling his old lineup of speakers. There will be new offerings from Philharmonic, soon. Afraid to say, though, nothing like the AA+ in value coming with the new lineup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Made me look at Dennis' site to see if there was a new AA!

Either buy some speaker wire to needed length for the run and impedance involved and use bare wire connectors at each end, or perhaps add bananas for the binding post end. I suppose you could use pin connectors at the wire clip end....but with either type of connector they're most useful when you're disconnecting/connecting frequently....for a static installation no real need.

As to buying another high value pair of speakers for little $....might think about putting together the basis of the previous AA kit, the BR-1 from parts-express.com. https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=BR-1&sitesearch=true

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
. The new AA monitors are $290 now. Would it be best just to get another pair, or is there another brand I should look at?
There are frequent sales on JBL 305P powered monitors that are in most ways an upgrade, you should be able to find a pair for around $200. A quick glance looks like you would need to use Zone 2/3 to preamp them, but it would work!

My favorite thing about the 3 and 7 series speakers is the wave guide. Keeps sound levels balanced over such a broad listening area!

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
There are frequent sales on JBL 305P powered monitors that are in most ways an upgrade, you should be able to find a pair for around $200. A quick glance looks like you would need to use Zone 2/3 to preamp them, but it would work!
I have the 305P and they are excellent. With your Yammy AVR, you have pre-outs and you could simply hook up the JBL's with two of these cables.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check those out. I have no experience with powered speakers, so I'm guessing that's where the zone two or three part comes in. As the amps in the Yamaha won't be used.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check those out. I have no experience with powered speakers, so I'm guessing that's where the zone two or three part comes in. As the amps in the Yamaha won't be used.
There's not much to it! These speakers have their own amps, so all they need is a source from an RCA or XLR input, and of course an available power outlet for each speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis