Replacing Cerwin Vega VS-120 with ? for around $750/pair?

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
Hi - I know someone with Cerwin Vega VS-120's from the 1980s that have a problem, so they need to be replaced. They want to replace them for cheap, say $750-$800 for a pair.

If you're familiar with these, by chance, you probably see the problem(s) already. In case you're not, here they are:
  1. These have 12" woofers and supposedly get down to around 28hz. Even if that's inflated, as I expect, I don't think replacing them with a pair of 5"-woofer bookshelf speakers would meet their bass expectations. They also WANT floorstanders, or at least prefer them. I could push for bookshelves, but by the time you add stands and a sub, which they say they don't have room for, we're going to exceed their budget.
  2. The sensitivity of the Cerwin Vegas is 97db. I'm not sure I even own anything above 89. They don't want to get into replacing amplifiers, etc. and since they aren't powering it with anything special, I'm concerned they won't get the "I can hear it in the yard out back" volume level they're looking for from something lower-sensitivity.
It seems almost unsolvable. There aren't a ton of well regarded floorstanders until you go to at least $1200+, and really more like $1500-$2000 for SVS, etc. it seems. At least not ones I've heard and have experience with. Trying to find Cheap plus Floorstanding plus Sensitive plus Low Bass seems to present a serious challenge. Maybe something in the Klipsch or JBL lines? Hoping for suggestions, recognizing there will be no perfect answer. I welcome your feedback and discussion.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JBL 590 these go on Sale for $499 each

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
$1500-$2000 for SVS
B-Stock deals

Fluance

Ascend Acoustics

Polk Audio

Parts Express

Last edited:
SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. I thought about the 590's due to their reputation here. And I may recommend them, though I haven't heard them. But I'd have to ask him to both wait AND increase his budget to $1,000 (and maybe accept refurbs). I'm not clear if that site ships free. So I'm hoping for a cheaper option.

Thanks for pointing out the outlet special - I hadn't realized the Prime towers were available for $800/pair. I think they'd meet the bass requirement, though I do worry about that 87db sensitivity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For JBL, their Studio 590s go on sale regularly for 900 to 1000 a pair delivered....think the last one just ended. I see they have a refurb for $700 ea but I'd wait for the next sale on new ones. They have some other models with largish woofers in the Stage and Arena lines as well (we're talking 8" for largest drivers IIRC, tho). The Studio 590s are 91/92dB sensitive and are rated for an f6 of 35hz and can play quite loudly and cleanly (probably more so than the CVs, and I'd also think CV's sensitivity rating may be on the generous side). Yes, I have some of these (as well as 580s, 520C and 530s) as do several members here.

The Klipsch RP8000 and RF7s maybe worth considering too.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 580's go for under $800 when on sale (just under $700, IIRC)
They do have strong bass for music, but doubt they keep up with the CV's on that count. f6 is 40Hz.
I think the final price on a pair of 580's would only require him to scrounge up another $20 or so to get a $150 Dayton Audio SUB1200 subwoofer which will better the CV's!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
What is the problem with the CV's? If it's foam rot, they could fix that for around 40 bucks. Actual driver or cabinet damage is another story or course.

If they like the CV house sound, I see 12's and 15's for sale on Craigslist all the time within a reasonable driving distance, always below that price range.

Towers with woofers that size are a rarity nowadays in the budget spectrum, if you're looking to buy new.

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. I think they had a driver or crossover die. I've recommended they consider second-hand replacements, but I'm not clear whether they're interested in trying to test and/or take the risk of a second-hand purchase.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and have passed them on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis