Thinking about upgrading - PSB Imagine T2

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
Was tinkering with the idea of possibly upgrading my speakers. I guess the mistake I made, like probably others, is actually auditioning different speakers in store.
Currently my setup is PSB Imagine T2 + C and surrounds are Imagine B, Imagine XB and PSB ceiling speakers for a 7.1.2 setup. I use a Pioneer SC-LX701 for AV receiver and NAD M10 + Rega turntable for music.
Front 3 speakers are powered by Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2 amp. I have acoustic panels setup in the room with bass traps. Room is rectangular about 21x14 approx.
Movie to music ratio used to be 80/20, but now has gone to almost 50/50. Hence the reason for thinking about changing just the front 3 speakers.

I auditioned 2 speakers for now, just to see how they sounded, Monitor Audio Gold 200 (didnt have the 300 to demo) and Dynaudio Evoke 50 , between those 2 I liked the Dynaudio more. It was just more smooth, they were very close in some aspects.

The other speaker I want to check out is the Sonus Faber Sonetto. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do an A/B comparison as the store I want to audition them at, do not carry Dynaudio. And only one store in my area carries Sonus Faber.

Let me know if there is anything else I can audition in the same price range as those speakers? that might sound good? I skipped on Focal Aria, Im looking for a warm , smooth sound. I need something not fatiguing. I should mention Im in Canada, so not looking to purchase anything from online retailers, I would really prefer to buy local, especially for the fact that I want to audition them. So there is possibly some brands we don't carry here.

Last point, based on what I heard so far the Dynaudio Evoke 50 would be a step up to my Imagine T2 . I would also need to get the Evoke 25C.
I'm assuming if the Dynaudio's are good for music they will be good for movies too, I'm especially hoping that the 25C is a good / better center channel then I already have? let me know!

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why not some PSB Imagine T3s? They measure well. Definitely consider some Definitive Technology Demand towers in this range, as well as JBL HDI series and Revel Performa.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I would have loved the Imagine T3's, brand new are very expensive, someone actually just posted them used, and he is asking for way too much, or else I would have jumped on them. unfortunately, no one has them to audition locally, but i would have bought those blindly, just because I have an idea of what Im getting.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think JBL might be hard to find, Def Tech maybe as well. The Revel's actually is very good suggestion, they had them at the store I went , however, they are so massive, I dont think they would fit, well I know that beautiful center speaker wouldnt. As nice as it was.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Dynaudio are excellent speakers. Don't know if Aerial Acoustics are up there where you are, but are worth auditioning if you can. Also Paradigm

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
Dynaudio are excellent speakers. Don't know if Aerial Acoustics are up there where you are, but are worth auditioning if you can. Also Paradigm
Yeah, Ive always liked Dynaudio and Sonus Faber, although never owned them, for both sound and looks.

I just checked Aerial Acoustics, they look great, looking at the Dealers section, looks like US only unfortunately.
Paradigm yes, they are a bit pricey as well if I were to look at Persona 5F for example. Its been awhile, but I dont think I was crazy about Prestige line. Its been awhile though.

The store that has Sonus Faber, also carries Audiovector (never heard those before) and Vienna Acoustics (also never heard and not sure they have matching center channels).

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
also I should have mentioned, may need to go where I can get a deal too, I might be able to get a deal on a demo Dynaudio Evoke 50's.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
What do you find lacking with your T2 speakers? What are you looking to improve?

And what subwoofers are you using?

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
What do you find lacking with your T2 speakers? What are you looking to improve?

And what subwoofers are you using?
I can try to explain it as best as I could, the T2's arent bright, but Im finding them a bit fatiguing when compared to the Dynaudio. Also, I find all the small little details were a lot better, separation of instruments for example. Also the voice as well seemed smoother if that makes sense. The only thing Im concerned about is the bass. Im hoping that the Evoke 50 can produce the same bass, it seemed like it did. I cant find the low frequency spec on it so far.

Im actually not using my sub for music. I prefer 2.0, I have a ported SVS sub. PB2000, if I ever move up the line to a sealed 4000, might give it a try with , but for now, I like 2.0. Ill only use the bass on rare occasions if the music calls for it.

Do you think the Evoke is not a step up to the Imagine T2's? I am open to suggestions and comments for sure.
The real bummer is, I cannot bring it home to test unfortunately, this is the downside.

Also, I wouldnt mind the change, try something different and new, different sound. Not necessary to do so though by any means.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Do you think the Evoke is not a step up to the Imagine T2's?

Also, I wouldnt mind the change, try something different and new, different sound. Not necessary to do so though by any means.
I think you answered the question yourself.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I think you answered the question yourself.
Correct, but at the same time, I dont want to bring it home and see they sound the same in my room haha
Thats my fear, the problem is, unless I get brand new, which I cannot afford, I cant demo it in home, even at that, its not that simple here with the stores in my area.

So Im banking on audio memory, which my memory in general isnt the best and hoping my streaming system is close to the one they are using. But its not identical, they dont have the unit I use. Then there is room acoustics etc, but I have panels and so do they, so Im hoping its even on that front. Plus anything else that can make a difference.
Hence in addition to all of that, its nice to maybe get thoughts and comments from others.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
But its not identical, they dont have the unit I use. Then there is room acoustics etc, but I have panels and so do they, so Im hoping its even on that front. Plus anything else that can make a difference.
It can never be the same and can't be even. Room Acoustics (panels or not) sound Reflection, Surfaces are all different.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis