Rotel RA 1570 Tone Bypass

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Hello all,
I was wondering if the Tone Bypass on my Rotel amplifier setting is better to set to on or off.
It’s supposed to play better with bypass on, but I would love to get your opinion regarding which is better option.
Thanks in advance

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
From the owner's manual:

"Tone Control Bypass: Bass and Treble Control (Tone Control) circuits are bypassed at factory default to ensure the purest possible sound. The front display will show TONE BYPASS. To turn on the tone control from the front panel, press the MENU 9 button to toggle to the Bypass control then press the - or + buttons on the front panel to turn bypass on or off."

Edit: If you're not using the tone controls I see no reason to leave them on, though I think leaving them at 0 would have no audible effect whether on or off.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
From the owner's manual:

"Tone Control Bypass: Bass and Treble Control (Tone Control) circuits are bypassed at factory default to ensure the purest possible sound. The front display will show TONE BYPASS. To turn on the tone control from the front panel, press the MENU 9 button to toggle to the Bypass control then press the - or + buttons on the front panel to turn bypass on or off."

Edit: If you're not using the tone controls I see no reason to leave them on, though I think leaving them at 0 would have no audible effect whether on or off.
They have a difference in soundstage

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You shouldn't get different tones unless you've made adjustments to the tone controls. If they're both at 0 it shouldn't matter whether it's on or off.

The real question is which way do you prefer it? Which sounds better to you?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Shouldn't affect soundstage...could be it changes something, tho.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If not using the tone controls, I would generally switch to by-pass, on "principle".
However, if I wanted to use the tone controls to adjust the sound, I would not hesitate to turn off the by-pass. The tone controls do introduce distortion, but it should be at levels well below audible!
That has been my general experience!
However your statement about different SQ contradicts my expectations.
My first thought on this is there is some difference in the volume level when you switch by-pass on/off. It is well established that we tend to prefer the louder of two identical reproductions of music.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Tone Control Bypass engages the soundstage depth circuitry, which uses advanced biometric feedback mechanisms and transmogrifiers to alter the soundstage depth.

To alter the soundstage *width,* you need to rotate the bass control all the way up, then down, then back to its default position.

To alter soundstage *height,* you need to roate the treble control all the way down, then up, then back to its default position.

To avoid smart-ass replies, you need to post questions about electronics in the appropriate forum, ie, not the forum called "Loudspeakers."

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Tone Control Bypass engages the soundstage depth circuitry, which uses advanced biometric feedback mechanisms and transmogrifiers to alter the soundstage depth.

To alter the soundstage *width,* you need to rotate the bass control all the way up, then down, then back to its default position.

To alter soundstage *height,* you need to roate the treble control all the way down, then up, then back to its default position.

To avoid smart-ass replies, you need to post questions about electronics in the appropriate forum, ie, not the forum called "Loudspeakers."
Why they are smart ass replies? You mean whoever replies to me and so many audiophiles?

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
From the owner's manual:

Thank you it worked

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic

Thank you beave

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis