Is new Roku Ultra better than Firestick 4K?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The honeymoon is over! I watched a movie last night. Maybe every 15 minutes or so the Roku “skips,“ for less than a second, and I get no sound. Later I got a loud pop out of the left speaker channel. It was louder than the programming I was watching.

any ideas what that could be? It only happens with the Roku. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The honeymoon is over! I watched a movie last night. Maybe every 15 minutes or so the Roku “skips,“ for less than a second, and I get no sound. Later I got a loud pop out of the left speaker channel. It was louder than the programming I was watching.

I'd do a soft reset (unplug from power) of the Roku first, maybe the avr at the same time to see if its something that sort of reboot resolves.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have a Toshiba smart tv with Prime. Also a firestick on a 2nd tv. Thinking about buying another firestick for a 3rd tv. Pretty satisfied with Prime content so many choices. So I am a fan of the firestick. :)

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic

Was the Roku new when it was "gifted" to you? If used, that could be the reason it was given to you.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

Did it only do it on this movie or a specific app? It could be source, not the box. I've never had to do a reset on my ultra. But I've had problems with specific apps at times, though very rarely, on both firestick and the ultra.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Turned it on today, still popping and clicking. I am going to change the HDMI cable to see if that makes a difference. Also the music apps Amazon, Apple, plays PCM. I need flac..

yes, I can hear the difference.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Turned it on today, still popping and clicking. I am going to change the HDMI cable to see if that makes a difference. Also the music apps Amazon, Apple, plays PCM. I need flac..

yes, I can hear the difference.
yeah, that's not normal. I've never had a streaming device from any manufacturer do that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

Mine did the same thing on a super long wire (cat5 maybe). Unplugging the device from my router would reset things to normal for days or weeks but replacing that 25' wire with a 6 footer took care of my issues long term.

My HDMI's are BJC so those were never suspect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also the music apps Amazon, Apple, plays PCM. I need flac..
Maybe from Apple you could get the equivalent ALAC but don't believe they stream it. Qobuz or Tidal would be flac streaming options. The output from the streaming device is likely to remain transcoded as pcm, tho.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Changed the HDMI cable, two hours in no popping from the speaker.

Roku recognizes my tv as 4K hdr 60 hz HDCP 2.2 that’s what I set it for, but every time I turn it on the Roku resets to auto.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Changed the HDMI cable, two hours in no popping from the speaker.

Roku recognizes my tv as 4K hdr 60 hz HDCP 2.2 that’s what I set it for, but every time I turn it on the Roku resets to auto.
Is that the resolution is set to when it's set to auto?

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast

This happened to me before. Mine was an internet problem. Playing 4k content on amazon video using my samsung tv and it would lose audio for a second or so every now and then when my internet is slow. Worst I experience was some kind of clicking sound for a good 3 seconds. I never hear any clicking sound when using Netflix though, but the sound will cut off when the video is about to stop due to internet loss.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I have a Sony X800 and Roku Ultra for my streaming needs, and normally use the Sony as I like the gui better. I was watching Space Force on the Roku one day, and noticed color banding and thought that it was weird because I've never noticed it before with Netflix. Switched over to the Sony and the same scene, there was no color banding. Not sure why the Roku was doing that, but both are set to 4K, and I have 100 mbps internet connection, so it wasn't a bandwidth issue. Nothing against the Roku, and the screen saver is actually pretty cool.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Is this years Roku a lot better the the premier from 4 years ago ? Or no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis