Beginner looking for recommendations on 3.0/3.1

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I think all the Speakers except the Ascend Acoustics are rear ported.

You have to make Concessions sometimes

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I kind of think towers will look more appealing. I was even wondering if it would be possible to find towers with big enough drivers that I could exclude a subwoofer.
For movies, you want a separate sub-woofer, perhaps even a pair.

Towers digging into the 20s isn't happening on your budget either.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for your recommendations. May I ask, since these would be going side by side of my TV entertainment center and pretty much as flush as possible to the wall, is rear porting going to be an issue? I know it would be best to space them away from the wall and angle them, but my living room is just too narrow and has a lot of traffic going through it. I can't afford to move them away from the wall and have them get knocked over. Thanks
You likely need to be looking at sealed or front-ported designs.

Perhaps your best option will be a sub or 2, then wall mounted bookshelf speakers (since space is a large factor here).

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
I needed front ported speakers as the ones I had originally (Monitor Audio Silver 300s) just didn't work well in my room. Nice speakers if you can pull them from the wall and allow them to breathe. I opted for Revel F206 as they have front ports. Being you want deeper bass maybe the Revel F208's may work for you? Although to get as deep as you'd like you may need a sub as others are suggesting, especially for movies. The 208's do have pretty good bass.

**edit** I just realized you were looking to stay in a certain budget so the Revels won't fit.

Z

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I needed front ported speakers as the ones I had originally (Monitor Audio Silver 300s) just didn't work well in my room. Nice speakers if you can pull them from the wall and allow them to breathe. I opted for Revel F206 as they have front ports. Being you want deeper bass maybe the Revel F208's may work for you? Although to get as deep as you'd like you may need a sub as others are suggesting, especially for movies. The 208's do have pretty good bass.

Z
His budget is under $2k for the receiver, front 3, and sub.

Are there any slimmer profile subwoofers you can recommend? I'm not looking for anything crazy.

It seems everything mentioned would be closer to a $2k setup. I'm interested to see what you guys may recommend for a 3.0/3.1 setup for closer to $1200-$1500 (including an amplifier)
If you can settle for black or white, this would be a good start:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new-cg3-3-1-home-theater-system/

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2600h/denon-avr-x2600h-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
I really appreciate your recommendations and I know they come with the intention of top quality sound but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on smaller / bookshelf speakers, especially black or white ones. I know it's probably insulting and I feel bad because it seems like I didn't really know what I was asking for to begin with and you guys have really done a good job of presenting great options for me. I guess I'm just a very skeptical person living in my first house and I want things to be perfect.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I'm just a very skeptical person living in my first house and I want things to be perfect.
I showed you Perfect for your Budget and Wants

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I walked into a bar one time thinking I was going to take home a Christie Brinkley or a Heather Locklear and this is what I end up taking home sometimes you have to be flexible

4ea1e3bd676f833e9d98d64e4278015e.jpg

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
I did notice however that the KEF Q750 do not have a port at all. Also, I could get two walnut versions on Amazon warehouse deals, one with a imperfection on the front / top of the speaker (as you may know, Amazon warehouse deals are very nonspecific and do not provide pictures), the other with imperfections on the back / bottom of the speaker according to the description. I could obtain both of those speakers for less than $1,100 before tax. Obviously the center that matches them is $600, which would already put me at $1,700 without a sub or amplifier. Im honestly tempted to just go with some polk audio S55 in walnut due to the fairly good, although inexperienced reviews, and the downward firing port. I really want some decent sound but I also don't want to make a money pit out of a hobby like this in fairly desperate times If you know what I mean.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast

Did you take a look at the picture I provided of my living room space? Don't you think it would be kind of crowded to put those speakers on top of the entertainment stand along with a mid? I told you aesthetics are very important to me. As this is the main trafficked area in my house, I would probably need to fabricate some stands for it to be acceptable. Floor standers just seem more robust and appropriate for my space but maybe you're right...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You may be right but from my experience smaller woofers generally do not get close enough to the 20hz range to cover the full spectrum which I was always taught was important. Maybe I'm wrong?
Just that there's more to a driver than diameter, the motor involved makes a difference. Box matters, too, depending on driver. Larger is generally better, but a specific subwoofer vs woofer is another consideration....

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast

So I want to start off by first saying that I do indeed trust your recommendations however, I am curious to know how a company with such a poorly constructed website and with such minimal reviews comes to be the number one option in a budget like mine, according to you. May I ask? I'm sure you understand my curiosity. If it weren't for forums like these, I'm sure I would never have even heard of the brand, and probably would have walked past them based on their glued on emblem and lack of style.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I want to start off by first saying that I do indeed trust your recommendations however, I am curious to know how a company with such a poorly constructed website and with such minimal reviews comes to be the number one option in a budget like mine, according to you. May I ask? I'm sure you understand my curiosity. If it weren't for forums like these, I'm sure I would never have even heard of the brand, and probably would have walked past them based on their glued on emblem and lack of style.
I wouldn't judge Ascend by their website. My personal experience has been very good. I own Sierra-1 NrTs, 170SEs, 200SEs so not a big surprise. Lack of style? WTF does that mean for a typical box speaker? :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I can't answer the Website question. Maybe because since they are an Internet Direct company they don't have the Advertising Budget that say Bose has.
But I can say this.
1) I wouldn't recommend something that I haven't heard myself and If I haven't I state that I haven't.
When the Sierra 1's first hit the market there was a lot of Buzz about them on these Audio Forums. The Reviews were all good I'm sure you could search for them.
2) if these speakers were sold in Big Box stores they would be twice the Price.
3) You specificity asked for Wood Finish not Gloss Black. Their Finish ( and Build Quality is Awesome).
4) What we all try to recommend is the Best Possible Sound Quality for your stated Budget.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Ascend Acoustics Direct​
ASCEND 30-DAY GUARANTEE...
Audition our products in YOUR home with YOUR equipment and on YOUR time!
If you are a retail consumer and your product was purchased directly from Ascend Acoustics, we are pleased to offer you a thirty-day money back guarantee.

If for any reason during this thirty-day trial period you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you may return these items for a complete refund.

*Please note: customized products are considered final sales and do not qualify for our 30-day satisfaction guarantee. This includes, but is not limited to, custom finished goods, unfinished goods and customer requested modifications.

Please adhere to our following formal policy on returned products and refunds:
  1. A return authorization number must be obtained from an authorized representative of Ascend Acoustics within 30-days of receiving your product. This number should accompany the returned items and be visible on the outside of all boxes. You may obtain a return authorization number by contacting Ascend Acoustics directly by phone or by email at sales@ascendacoustics.com.
  2. Return authorization numbers are valid for fourteen (14) days from the date of issuance. We must receive the returned product back within this period. Items that are received after this period will be refused or subjected to a minimum restocking fee of at least 25% + an additional 5% for each week past the (14) day period.
  3. Items must be returned in their complete original packaging to ensure they will not be damaged during return shipping. We encourage the customer to contact us by phone in order to ensure the products are properly packaged. We strongly recommend fully insuring all returned product with the carrier.
  4. All items must be returned in like new condition. Customer is fully responsible for covering all costs associated with the repair of any items returned in damaged condition, including but not limited to: scratches, scuffs, dents and any damage to external or internal components. If damage is found, customer will receive a report detailing the damage prior to issuing any refund.
  5. Items returned to us must be shipped pre-paid by the sender. Ascend Acoustics will not accept C.O.D. returns, nor will we be liable for any carrier charges, import taxes or duty associated with the return of any product. Shipping charges paid at the time of purchase will not be refunded. Please allow 5 to 10 business days from the day we receive the return until the refund is processed.
  6. This satisfaction guarantee not valid for authorized distributors, dealers, or resellers of our products.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't answer the Website question. Maybe because since they are an Internet Direct company they don't have the Advertising Budget that say Bose has.
But I can say this.
1) I wouldn't recommend something that I haven't heard myself and If I haven't I state that I haven't.
When the Sierra 1's first hit the market there was a lot of Buzz about them on these Audio Forums. The Reviews were all good I'm sure you could search for them.
2) if these speakers were sold in Big Box stores they would be twice the Price.
3) You specificity asked for Wood Finish not Gloss Black. Their Finish ( and Build Quality is Awesome).
4) What we all try to recommend is the Best Possible Sound Quality for your stated Budget.
Also consider you can usually deal with David Fabrikant directly (owner/designer at Ascend), plus they provide real measurements where most don't.....and their customer service generally I find exemplary.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I really appreciate your recommendations and I know they come with the intention of top quality sound but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on smaller / bookshelf speakers, especially black or white ones. I know it's probably insulting and I feel bad because it seems like I didn't really know what I was asking for to begin with and you guys have really done a good job of presenting great options for me. I guess I'm just a very skeptical person living in my first house and I want things to be perfect.
Perfection is over rated!

Seriously, everything in the audio hobby is a series of compromises. You just have to choose what you want to compromise on to stay within your budget and to operate within your real estate constraints.

Most of us on here don't really care how a speaker looks, just how it sounds. But, the visual presentation of a speaker can add to a room, add to your enjoyment, bias you to "feel" that it sounds better than it really does, and make it more acceptable to significant others that "just don't get it".

I like good looking and sounding speakers for the living room, and the wife also appreciates this in the common living area. In the bedroom, man cave, and garage, the looks of a speaker are absolutely of no concern to me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I did notice however that the KEF Q750 do not have a port at all. Also, I could get two walnut versions on Amazon warehouse deals, one with a imperfection on the front / top of the speaker (as you may know, Amazon warehouse deals are very nonspecific and do not provide pictures), the other with imperfections on the back / bottom of the speaker according to the description. I could obtain both of those speakers for less than $1,100 before tax. Obviously the center that matches them is $600, which would already put me at $1,700 without a sub or amplifier. Im honestly tempted to just go with some polk audio S55 in walnut due to the fairly good, although inexperienced reviews, and the downward firing port. I really want some decent sound but I also don't want to make a money pit out of a hobby like this in fairly desperate times If you know what I mean.
Perhaps you should look at just a left/right/sub setup, nix the center channel?

That would allow for allocation of better left/right speakers. Assuming the speakers image very well, you would then have a "phantom center speaker". I have done this, and it can work very well! It will almost certainly work better than a mediocre center channel. If space is a problem, that saves space by not installing a center channel too.

Maybe something over at A4L would catch your eye

You should be able to find something obviously better than those Polks and stay within your budget.

EDIT--If you had been asking for this a few months back, you would have been in business with the DCM closeout speakers!
@Daesonn
These guys keep putting up a few DCM stragglers, I guess they must be finding a few in corners of their warehouse. It may be worth giving them a call to see if they have any of the DCM in the Cherry Finish still available that haven't made it to their website yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis