Thinking of upgrading to ELAC speakers.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Hello all,
I’m interested on getting ELAC speakers but I don’t know which model should I get.
Currently I own Polk RTIA7 speakers and I thought the ELAC would give a more audiophile and high end sound.
My budget for two speakers are $1000.

thank you in advance
:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello all,
I’m interested on getting ELAC speakers but I don’t know which model should I get.
Currently I own Polk RTIA7 speakers and I thought the ELAC would give a more audiophile and high end sound.

thank you in advance
@KEW can likely help you out. Just don't be surprised when he says "get the Cantons for $600 instead" ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you heard any of the Elac speakers? Why Elac particularly?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you already have a sub, consider the Monoprice Monolith THX mini-towers at $500 each.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW can likely help you out. Just don't be surprised when he says "get the Cantons for $600 instead" ;)
I have performed level-matched A-B comparisons involving the following speakers from Elac:
Elac B5 Debut
Elac UniFi UB5
Elac DBR-62 Debut Reference
These are all bookshelf speakers and you don't mention whether you are looking for BS or towers.
However, I would expect the sound signature to be generally consistent between these BS speakers and the corresponding towers given that Andrew Jones designed each of them and I am pretty sure that they employ the same tweeter within each series.
I cannot recommend either the B5 Debut or the UniFi UB5 because they both sounded dull to me. Being more specific, I play in a couple of Big Bands in the Atlanta area and when I listened to big band music, the high energy associated with a big band was missing. I cannot recommend either of these.
The DBR-62 Debut Reference is definitely a step up from the two lower models and I could understand this being someone's preference. For me, they simply did not have the presence I look for in a quality speakers. For me these sounded as if they had a single layer of thin (but not acoustically transparent) fabric over the speaker, however, they did offer plenty of detail and solid bass.
Here is more detail from when I compared them to the Canton Vento:

I, personally, would get the Canton 830.2 at $800 (also in white if that is your preference):
...this model has the 7" woofer which performs competitively with the DBR-62 (but still not quite as good).

However, if you prefer
1) a slightly laid back speaker,
2) a the assurance of a safe trial/return option (Crutchfield charges a flat $15 for returns but pays shipping both ways and you have 60 days to decide)
3) to buy ELAC (for whatever reason)
I think the DBR-62 is a great option!

If you must have towers, you can get the Elac DFR-52's if you are willing to increase your budget to $1200.
(also look for open box deals under the "add to cart" button on this page)

If you must have towers, but have a hard budget at $1000, I would pass on the ELACs entirely and keep an eye out for the JBL Studio 580 or 590 (on sale they run around $400 and $500 each, respectively). If this is a strong consideration, let us know and we can link you to threads from past sales so you can find out more.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you already have a sub, consider the Monoprice Monolith THX mini-towers at $500 each.
Jeesh!
You spend all that time measuring these speakers and writing up your review and then you don't link it when you recommend them? You did the work, take the credit!!!
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/monoprice-monolith-thx-365t-thx-365c

@Yohansen , I am not familiar with this speaker, but I do trust James' reviews to be accurate and these measure pretty nicely!

Last edited:
Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I have performed level-matched A-B comparisons involving the following speakers from Elac:
Elac B5 Debut
Elac UniFi UB5
Elac DBR-62 Debut Reference
These are all bookshelf speakers and you don't mention whether you are looking for BS or towers.
However, I would expect the sound signature to be generally consistent between these BS speakers and the corresponding towers given that Andrew Jones designed each of them and I am pretty sure that they employ the same tweeter within each series.
I cannot recommend either the B5 Debut or the UniFi UB5 because they both sounded dull to me. Being more specific, I play in a couple of Big Bands in the Atlanta area and when I listened to big band music, the high energy associated with a big band was missing. I cannot recommend either of these.
The DBR-62 Debut Reference is definitely a step up from the two lower models and I could understand this being someone's preference. For me, they simply did not have the presence I look for in a quality speakers. For me these sounded as if they had a single layer of thin (but not acoustically transparent) fabric over the speaker, however, they did offer plenty of detail and solid bass.
Here is more detail from when I compared them to the Canton Vento:

I, personally, would get the Canton 830.2 at $800 (also in white if that is your preference):
...this model has the 7" woofer which performs competitively with the DBR-62 (but still not quite as good).

However, if you prefer
1) a slightly laid back speaker,
2) a the assurance of a safe trial/return option (Crutchfield charges a flat $15 for returns but pays shipping both ways and you have 60 days to decide)
3) to buy ELAC (for whatever reason)
I think the DBR-62 is a great option!

If you must have towers, you can get the Elac DFR-52's if you are willing to increase your budget to $1200.
(also look for open box deals under the "add to cart" button on this page)

If you must have towers, but have a hard budget at $1000, I would pass on the ELACs entirely and keep an eye out for the JBL Studio 580 or 590 (on sale they run around $400 and $500 each, respectively). If this is a strong consideration, let us know and we can link you to threads from past sales so you can find out more.
I think it’s a great idea. I have heard good things for JBL

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched a review on the web for ELAC but I

lovinthehd, I haven’t heard the ELAC speakers.
I was wondering if you mean that is not a huge upgrade comparing to Polk rtia7?
That's how I understand him. I like the JBL 590 option too. Those go on sale often enough that I think it worth the wait if you wanna give 'em a shot. I don't know if they'd be a big step up tho. You do already have some pretty good speakers right now so you might have a hard time beating them without spending a little more.

How've you been? I know we've had a few conversations now but I can't remember if we ever discussed whether or not you have a subwoofer..?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Getting away from Polk wouldn't be a bad thing. I personally wouldn't recommend the LSiM series, though they will be better than the RTiAs based on everything i've seen/heard.
ELAC is pretty meh in my book, at least until you step up to the Adante Standmmounts... but at that cost, I'd spend elsewhere.

S

SVSDual

Enthusiast
What amp are you using, and are you using sub(s)?

I own the Ub5's but I'm driving them with a Outlaw 2160, with 2 pb1000's.

With a clean, powerful amp the ub5's are amazing, imo. The imaging and sound clarity is something special to hear.

But i will say i haven't heard them without a sub involved so that may change things for you or not.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
What amp are you using, and are you using sub(s)?

I own the Ub5's but I'm driving them with a Outlaw 2160, with 2 pb1000's.

With a clean, powerful amp the ub5's are amazing, imo. The imaging and sound clarity is something special to hear.

But i will say i haven't heard them without a sub involved so that may change things for you or not.
I don’t use a sub.
I drive them with a Totel RA1570

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I watched a review on the web for ELAC but I

lovinthehd, I haven’t heard the ELAC speakers.
I was wondering if you mean that is not a huge upgrade comparing to Polk rtia7?
Video reviews generally I find not worth the time myself, certainly not the speaker demo portions. Elac does get a lot of buzz and are promoted well. I was more curious why you thought it was an upgrade (especially with no particular model in mind)....based on listening or promotion. I've read quite a few user comments from disappointed Elac owners (as well as quite a few positive ones) but no experience myself (I don't live anywhere near a place to demo speakers).

FWIW the sale on the JBL Studio 5 series is happening now. As an owner of 590s (and 580, 530 and 520 for a 7ch setup) I can recommend them, at $1k the pair I think they're quite good. I'd still want subs with any of the speakers mentioned so far, tho.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW the sale on the JBL Studio 5 series is happening now. As an owner of 590s (and 580, 530 and 520 for a 7ch setup) I can recommend them, at $1k the pair I think they're quite good. I'd still want subs with any of the speakers mentioned so far, tho.
@Yohansen , here is a link to the sale. I don't think there is a better tower option for $1,000/pr:

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Hello all,

thank you in advance
Dude, fly like an eagle as fast as you can to that JBL studio 590 link (on the above mentioned post) and get it before you lose that 50% sale. When you hear that Studio 590, you will toss your Polk RTI in the fire pit (you would be enraged 100% that Polk fooled ya, took your hard earned cash and made you live with a sht box for so long.)

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Dude, fly like an eagle as fast as you can to that JBL studio 590 link (on the above mentioned post) and get it before you lose that 50% sale. When you hear that Studio 590, you will toss your Polk RTI in the fire pit (you would be enraged 100% that Polk fooled ya, took your hard earned cash and made you live with a sht box for so long.)
Thanks Pcosmic.
Yes, they suggested me JBL on the previous chat.
Trying to save some money.
Thank you all also for your advises.
I’m sorry for posting continuously.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis