What are you watching tonight?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe you can tell me where to buy Daredevil and Day After Tomorrow (and The Firm) or any of the dozens of Scream Factory Blu-rays I've purchased recently on 4K Blu-ray. Because I don't see 'em.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with 1080p Blu-ray upscaled by my Panasonic UHD disc player; heck, most DVDs look fantastic if the transfer was done right. You may not buy them anymore, but there are a ton of titles on my want list that didn't come out in 4K; you wouldn't buy them, I'm assuming, because of the sheer fact that they're not in 4K, but I don't think like that. To my eye, there's nothing wrong with a 1080p Blu-ray transfer, and if a film isn't released in the 4K format, that doesn't stop me from adding it to my library.
Just messing with you, man. ;)

There is nothing wrong with 2K movies.

I'm just SPOILED. :D

Matter of fact, come to think of it, now I won't even watch any movies that were not shot using 4K digital cameras. :D

I think most big-time movies will eventually get the 4K treatment.

If you buy the 2K now, you might be buying them again when they come out in 4K.

In the meantime, I think there are many good 4K movies available.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
PGA Tournament all weekend. First golf major of the year. I'm stoked! :)

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Just messing with you, man. ;)
No worries.

There is nothing wrong with 2K movies.

I'm just SPOILED. :D

Matter of fact, come to think of it, now I won't even watch any movies that were not shot using 4K digital cameras. :D
That's a little :eek: to me, but to each their own... :)

But I was merely pointing out that, right now, those titles I wanted (which were replacing old full screen or non-anamorphic DVDs, mind you) were ONLY available on 1080p Blu-ray. We WOULD have bought the 4K versions if they were available.

I think most big-time movies will eventually get the 4K treatment.
If most of those big tentpole titles, such as the ones I just purchased on regular Blu, haven't come out already, I'm not sure if the studios will get around to transferring them, but, of course, who knows...

But:

If you buy the 2K now, you might be buying them again when they come out in 4K.
Nahhhh. Switching full screen DVDs or non-anamorphic DVDs for regular Blu-ray versions is one thing. Trading up the Blu-ray versions for UHD Blu-ray versions is another, especially taking into consideration the fact that I'm not running a massive projection screen like many of you here are (thus I wouldn't be able to discern that much of a resolution difference, even with the HDR uptick).

In the meantime, I think there are many good 4K movies available.
True -- though I've been burned a couple of times with old catalog titles that didn't turn out quite like I expected. John Carpenter's Christine is a good example -- I replaced this title twice on DVD and then bought the 4K Blu-ray. I couldn't STAND the 4K's presentation...far too much film grain for my taste and black levels that wreaked havoc with my edge-lit Samsung display's HDR performance/local dimming (not the disc's fault there, but just pointing it out). In the case of Christine, I prefer to watch the 1080p Blu-ray that came with the 4K in the Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook release.

On the flip side of that coin, I HAVE replaced a DVD or two with a 4K version, and the experience WAS night and day -- The Shining is a good example of this. I had the Digitally Remastered version of this on DVD, as taken from the Stanley Kubrick Collection from Warner Bros., which was presented in full screen (you know...that whole "Kubrick preferred it to be in an open-matted 4:3 form!" controversy), and when we got the 4K, it was like watching the classic for the first time (running the disc's HDR10+ layer, which my player and TV support).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No worries.

That's a little :eek: to me, but to each their own... :)

But I was merely pointing out that, right now, those titles I wanted (which were replacing old full screen or non-anamorphic DVDs, mind you) were ONLY available on 1080p Blu-ray. We WOULD have bought the 4K versions if they were available.

If most of those big tentpole titles, such as the ones I just purchased on regular Blu, haven't come out already, I'm not sure if the studios will get around to transferring them, but, of course, who knows...

But:

Nahhhh. Switching full screen DVDs or non-anamorphic DVDs for regular Blu-ray versions is one thing. Trading up the Blu-ray versions for UHD Blu-ray versions is another, especially taking into consideration the fact that I'm not running a massive projection screen like many of you here are (thus I wouldn't be able to discern that much of a resolution difference, even with the HDR uptick).

True -- though I've been burned a couple of times with old catalog titles that didn't turn out quite like I expected. John Carpenter's Christine is a good example -- I replaced this title twice on DVD and then bought the 4K Blu-ray. I couldn't STAND the 4K's presentation...far too much film grain for my taste and black levels that wreaked havoc with my edge-lit Samsung display's HDR performance/local dimming (not the disc's fault there, but just pointing it out). In the case of Christine, I prefer to watch the 1080p Blu-ray that came with the 4K in the Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook release.

On the flip side of that coin, I HAVE replaced a DVD or two with a 4K version, and the experience WAS night and day -- The Shining is a good example of this. I had the Digitally Remastered version of this on DVD, as taken from the Stanley Kubrick Collection from Warner Bros., which was presented in full screen (you know...that whole "Kubrick preferred it to be in an open-matted 4:3 form!" controversy), and when we got the 4K, it was like watching the classic for the first time (running the disc's HDR10+ layer, which my player and TV support).
Great point about how some 4K Blu-ray movies don’t look that good. So it’s a waste of money.

Actually, I don’t think most movies that were shot prior to 2K digital cameras in 2009 deserve the 4K treatment.

But as you said, a lot of 2K BD already look awesome. So not a big need to remaster in 4K.

First-world problems for sure. :D

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Great point about how some 4K Blu-ray movies don’t look that good. So it’s a waste of money.
Oh, well I'm not saying they're a "waste of money;" as I said with Christine, I didn't know the 4K presentation wasn't going to look all that hot (though, I am in the minority here, as many reviews and owner comments rave about how this was the best presentation they'd ever seen of the film...all I know is that even the opening sequence in the plant, when Christine is coming off the assembly line, if you're familiar with the film, looked atrocious and almost like an old staticky TV transmission). But with the dual combo packs of Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays, you can fall back on the regular 1080p version if the 4K doesn't look good.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Well, gotta get an exchange for this because it froze in multiple places (someone over at the vile, inhuman Blu-ray.com forum complained of this on his disc just this past May, so maybe there were some bad batches of this title), even after multiple cleanings. Disc was brand new.

What a pain in the ass it's gonna be to try and get a replacement from our local Best Buy now because we bought this online.....

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Finished war of the planet of the apes

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai

To replace our old full screen DVD version...god, do I HATE this new artwork...why, oh why, Fox, couldn't you keep the classic "WORK SUCKS" theme for these releases? As it is, they didn't even give these newer versions -- the Special Edition with Flair and now this 20th Anniversary -- new transfers, but they sure as poop gave em horrible artwork...

Woulda been hella-cool if they just updated the old classic artwork with the new tagline of "20 YEARS LATER...AND WORK STILL SUCKS," as stated on the back.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

To replace our old full screen DVD version...god, do I HATE this new artwork...why, oh why, Fox, couldn't you keep the classic "WORK SUCKS" theme for these releases? As it is, they didn't even give these newer versions -- the Special Edition with Flair and now this 20th Anniversary -- new transfers, but they sure as poop gave em horrible artwork...

Woulda been hella-cool if they just updated the old classic artwork with the new tagline of "20 YEARS LATER...AND WORK STILL SUCKS," as stated on the back.
Will always be one of my favorites. Still holds up, and probably always will.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Over the weekend, I saw
1. SW The Rise of Skywalker - I didn't like it, typical SW crap.
2. Archive - Artificial Intelligence, SciFi movie - okay, didn't really like it.
3. Coma - another SciFi movie, didn't like it. Sort of rip-off Matrix vs Inception, plenty of plot holes.
4. Gemini Man - another SciFi movie about clones, plenty of plot holes, stupid overall, didn't like it.
5. Doom Patrol S02 - loved it.
6. Swamp Thing S01 (cancelled) - liked it
7. Umbrella Academy S02 - loving it, on E04.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Just picked this up at our local Best Buy (had to return and exchange the defective Day After Tomorrow disc), along with a piece of vinyl, the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique on 180-gram reissued wax...

Gonna watch tonight (admittedly, I like the second Conjuring much better, and watch it all the time, but this was only five bucks at BB):

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Over the weekend, I saw
1. SW The Rise of Skywalker - I didn't like it, typical SW crap.
2. Archive - Artificial Intelligence, SciFi movie - okay, didn't really like it.
3. Coma - another SciFi movie, didn't like it. Sort of rip-off Matrix vs Inception, plenty of plot holes.
4. Gemini Man - another SciFi movie about clones, plenty of plot holes, stupid overall, didn't like it.
5. Doom Patrol S02 - loved it.
6. Swamp Thing S01 (cancelled) - liked it
7. Umbrella Academy S02 - loving it, on E04.
Did you watch Gemini Man on 4K Blu? If so, what did you think of the 60FPS frame rate this was supposedly shot at?

When this came out, we rented it but on regular Blu-ray, and the regular Blu was mastered at 24FPS -- only the 4K was apparently done in 60. Did it give too much of that soap opera effect?

I actually didn't mind the film, but I'm gonna buy it eventually because I read that the video transfer is jaw-dropping in UHD...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Will always be one of my favorites. Still holds up, and probably always will.
Could not agree more, pant; an absolute classic if you're from the generation this was geared towards (I graduated college in '96, so I was already working in the "corporate world" when this came out...I can totally relate to what the Peter character was enduring).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you watch Gemini Man on 4K Blu? If so, what did you think of the 60FPS frame rate this was supposedly shot at?

When this came out, we rented it but on regular Blu-ray, and the regular Blu was mastered at 24FPS -- only the 4K was apparently done in 60. Did it give too much of that soap opera effect?

I actually didn't mind the film, but I'm gonna buy it eventually because I read that the video transfer is jaw-dropping in UHD...
Yeah, I saw Gemini Man in 4K, and I hated the 60 FPS. It was extremely crystal clear, but I can’t stand that soap opera effect.

This is one case where I should have watched on 2K/24FPS. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis