Speaker wire came loose and touched.

A

Alibader

Audiophyte
Hi,
Last night I noticed that my left speaker is not working, when I looked at the wires some how the neutral wire came loose and touched the +ve wire and remind on it for a while. When I reconnected the wire back the speaker is still not working. Not sure where the problem is and how to troubleshoot. Any help would be great
Thanks

AVR Marantz SR6014
Speakers Kef Q750

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Having the wires touch like that creates an electrical short. That can be very hard on the amp. One thing I would do is swap speakers on the channels. If the left speaker is still not working on the other channel, you know it is the speaker that is faulty, however if the left channel is still dead, you know it is the amp that is at fault.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The Marantz SR6014 is a very modern unit, it should be able to deal with a speaker wire short.
Have you tried unplugging the AC or resetting the unit?

A

Alibader

Audiophyte
The Marantz SR6014 is a very modern unit, it should be able to deal with a speaker wire short.
Having the wires touch like that creates an electrical short. That can be very hard on the amp. One thing I would do is swap speakers on the channels. If the left speaker is still not working on the other channel, you know it is the speaker that is faulty, however if the left channel is still dead, you know it is the amp that is at fault.
Thank you for your replies.

Luckily as I pulled the AVR to switch the wires I noticed the +ve wire for the left front channel was disconnected aswell, apparently the speaker was pull too far to clean under it that caused both wires to disconnect. its working fine now.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Luckily as I pulled the AVR to switch the wires I noticed the +ve wire for the left front channel was disconnected aswell, apparently the speaker was pull too far to clean under it that caused both wires to disconnect. its working fine now.
Banana plugs....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Cleaning is hazardous!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't ever bank on it. There is NO protection system that is guaranteed full proof to protect an output stage from a short, especially if it should happen at power. You need to design this out in your installation. There is no way to absolutely prevent a power transistor from having a melt down that blows the fuse.

A

Alibader

Audiophyte
Banana plugs....
No i threaded them in to the socket, but i relized they gotten loose, I retightened all of the sockets on the AVR and all Speakers. I didnt use Bannan plugs fearing it would unplug if someone pulled the wire or moved the speaker, Ironic isn't it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
No i threaded them in to the socket, but i relized they gotten loose, I retightened all of the sockets on the AVR and all Speakers. I didnt use Bannan plugs fearing it would unplug if someone pulled the wire or moved the speaker, Ironic isn't it.
Much safer and convenient connection was what I was hinting at. Bare wire tends to have issues that aren't worth it. From faults to failure, and pulling gear to clean is easier. I can't stand cranking down binding posts over $10. Not that bare wire doesn't work, it does, but over 50 years I've learned...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Adding some slack to wires can be a good thing, too, so you can move them for cleaning easily....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You move your speakers..and... CLEAN?!??!??? :eek:
;)
If I am moving speakers, I always disconnect the wires. I do use banana plugs. SystemOFF=>Pull plugs=>move/reset speaker=>reconnect plugs=>systemON=>resume enjoyment. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Adding some slack to wires can be a good thing, too, so you can move them for cleaning easily....
Always leave slack! I've seen folks say 1' is enough, but no!!!
If I turn my gear around on the shelf, the AVR needs about 2' Minimum of slack to not pull the cables, 3' back there is better IMO. And then some slack at the speaker, too, perhaps only 1' there.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Always leave slack! I've seen folks say 1' is enough, but no!!!
If I turn my gear around on the shelf, the AVR needs about 2' Minimum of slack to not pull the cables, 3' back there is better IMO. And then some slack at the speaker, too, perhaps only 1' there.
Agreed, I always leave a 2' loop whether racked or console..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Banana plugs are a lot less likely to stray to the other post if they do pop out and they're a lot easier to pop back in when they do. I think most would agree bare a wire connection might be technically "better", but I've done both and I can't hear a difference. I have a bunch of speakers and sometimes I like to swap them in and out of my system and for me the nanners make it pretty simple to do.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Banana plugs are a lot less likely to stray to the other post if they do pop out and they're a lot easier to pop back in when they do. I think most would agree bare a wire connection might be technically "better", but I've done both and I can't hear a difference. I have a bunch of speakers and sometimes I like to swap them in and out of my system and for me the nanners make it pretty simple to do.
I don't recall any ever coming out with the additional wire looped and leads. I spend I good deal of time with wire management as it pays off.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't recall any ever coming out with the additional wire looped and leads. I spend I good deal of time with wire management as it pays off.
Sounds like you have a Mature system!
Could you post a picture of what it looks like?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like you have a nature system!
Could you post a picture of what it looks like?
When I redo the BMR system at this house, will do. When I gave away the speakers and AVR I cleared the wiring out.

Also when I get back to the other house I can for the Salk system in the Middle Atlantic rack. I still have the theater room to do there, which will be quite involved.

After this I'm done as I think I've found all the speakers I want and with the exception of some electronic upgrades, that's it.

Cant do all the fun stuff you do anymore, lol

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
you still thinking JTR build out?
Yeah I'm set on Jeff. Unless some incredible product comes out for the same price, its settled. Still not sure about the FP yet. Have a friends that work at VuTec and Stewart so I'll be covered there. The rest of the electronics are up in the air.

Retirement is great and it sucks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis