Equipment Rack Recommendations

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
I've had some trouble finding threads here that address specific rack systems. Middle Atlantic seems seems expensive. What do you use in your systems? I'd like something to build into a wall niche. It doesn't necessarily need to slide out, I'd have access to the back. I'd have Denon receiver 9.3", 2 outlaw 2220 amps 3" each, and miscellaneous junk (wifi router, apple tv, amazon tv, playstation, xbox, etc.) + some fans + some room for future expansion. Thanks.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If you’re building it into the wall, and you have rear access, why not just dispense with a rack and just use a couple of rack rails? You could build the cabinet the right width and mount the rack rails to the walls, making sure the finished width is maybe 19 1/4" wide.

Maybe even better would be to build the cabinet a bit wide and shim the front sides with 2 x 4’s. That would give amplifiers some more breathing room to the sides.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Middle Atlantic is the best. Don't buy cheap Far Eastern junk with holes in the wrong place and improperly cut threads. I would recommend Mid Atlantic, those are quality racks, and what I used.

Last edited:
GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
If you’re building it into the wall, and you have rear access, why not just dispense with a rack and just use a couple of rack rails? You could build the cabinet the right width and mount the rack rails to the walls, making sure the finished width is maybe 19 1/4" wide.

Maybe even better would be to build the cabinet a bit wide and shim the front sides with 2 x 4’s. That would give amplifiers some more breathing room to the sides.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
was not aware that was option. most of the stuff I've seen has been cabinets or 4 posts.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
Middle Atlantic is the best. Don't by cheap Far Eastern junk with holes in the wrong place and improperly cut threads. I would recommend Mid Atlantic, those are quality racks, and what I used.
I had thought you built your own racks. I'm not that handy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

was not aware that was option. most of the stuff I've seen has been cabinets or 4 posts.
If you can build it so you can get behind it. Failing that, it needs to pull out. A good steel rack helps you get a good reliable ground plane. Easy serviceability makes for good reliable systems. Systems that are hard to access are poorly designed systems.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If you can build it so you can get behind it. Failing that, it needs to pull out. A good steel rack helps you get a good reliable ground plane. Easy serviceability makes for good reliable systems. Systems that are hard to access are poorly designed systems.
I did for my AV room at Benedict. For this new one in Eagan I used Middle Atlantic racks. The trouble with building your own is that it takes time, and building a reliable ground plane is a massive amount of work. The amount you save in the end is not worth it.

The other thing is that with racks like those you can mount gear front and back. For instance the Internet patch bay and the two Internet hubs, are mounted on the rear of the racks.

Patch bay and one hub.

Main AV rack hub.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
I did for my AV room at Benedict. For this new one in Eagan I used Middle Atlantic racks. The trouble with building your own is that it takes time, and building a reliable ground plane is a massive amount of work. The amount you save in the end is not worth it.

The other thing is that with racks like those you can mount gear front and back. For instance the Internet patch bay and the two Internet hubs, are mounted on the rear of the racks.

Patch bay and one hub.

Main AV rack hub.

thanks. now, i'm googling what ground plane is, lol. starting to think I should just hire a consultant.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Whatever you choose, make sure the rack allows hot air from the all the electronic gear to escape. The best way to do this is with an open front, back, and sides. Fans can help, but if you don't trap the hot air, passive cooling works without any noise and without the extra power cords.

If you don't mind the industrial look, there are some less expensive options, in black or chrome, some with wheels.

Last edited:
GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
Whatever you choose, make sure the rack allows hot air from the all the electronic gear to escape. The best way to do this is with an open front, back, and sides. Fans can help, but if you don't trap the hot air, passive cooling works without any noise and without the extra power cords.

If you don't mind the industrial look, there are some less expensive options, some with wheels.

any experience with the Navepoint systems? I was just going to buy the Monoprice 4 shelf to set up the system until I could find a permanent solution.

T

Tama2112

Audiophyte
I've had some trouble finding threads here that address specific rack systems. Middle Atlantic seems seems expensive. What do you use in your systems? I'd like something to build into a wall niche. It doesn't necessarily need to slide out, I'd have access to the back. I'd have Denon receiver 9.3", 2 outlaw 2220 amps 3" each, and miscellaneous junk (wifi router, apple tv, amazon tv, playstation, xbox, etc.) + some fans + some room for future expansion. Thanks.
Salamander Archetype equipment rack. It is infinitely adjustable, can support heavy components and it won't break the bank, I have one and I love it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I use Middle Atlantic and have had a few over the years, well worth it. Depending on the size you need and if budget is tight, EBay usually has plenty available. Currently I'm using a low boy on wheels for one system and when I do the theater room, I'll be using an in wall unit on slide outs.

I have always ordered rack ears in the past as it ended up cheaper than getting the component specific shelves, when possible.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Be aware that Middle Atlantic racks, while the can be expensive, can also be very inexpensive if you are building something into a wall.

I did this using Middle Atlantic rack rail. The back side is completely open. No rear rack rail at all. The rack rail I screwed directly into wooden studs and I just made a point to mount things at the exact same height and at the proper distance apart from each other. I think the opening was 19 1/8" wide exactly.

If I were to do it again, I might have framed it with slightly better lumber to ensure things were a bit more square, but I have no problems and it looks good.

THE EXPENSIVE: The pretty face plates, which are custom made, are about $150 or so per custom plate. You can see that I have three in there. Add in two 4RU drawers and the DVD holder, as well as a couple of hidden shelves, it's probably $800-$1,000 total. But, you aren't going to get that look from ANY other solution that I'm aware of.

and

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Sometimes you can find use server racks at a decent price. Look for offices that are moving or vacated, or perhaps if your area has a university/state/municipal clearing house.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
A Middle Atlantic solution is definitely in my future. This monoprice shelf system was inadequate and has been relegated to the gym.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

A Middle Atlantic solution is definitely in my future. This monoprice shelf system was inadequate and has been relegated to the gym.
Yes, paying for quality up front is usually the cheapest solution.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, paying for quality up front is usually the cheapest solution.
That concept seems so hard for people to understand!

One of my favorite quotes to put this into perspective: Only a rich man can afford cheap tools!

My job is in the quality dept for manufacturing. I tell management and finance all the time, "Quality costs $. You can either pay that $ on the front end for good quality, or you can pay that $ on the back end for poor quality"

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
well
That concept seems so hard for people to understand!

One of my favorite quotes to put this into perspective: Only a rich man can afford cheap tools!

My job is in the quality dept for manufacturing. I tell management and finance all the time, "Quality costs $. You can either pay that $ on the front end for good quality, or you can pay that $ on the back end for poor quality"
Well said, I’m in the manufacturing industry (foundries) in sales. I wish finance guys understood that......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis