EARC VS Direct HDMI PASS THROUGH

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I’m getting a Sony XBR85Z8H 8k TV and a Marantz SR-8015 with a 7.2.2. Speaker arrangement. I use Apple TV 4K for streaming and Fios 4K cable box. I always connect everything to the AV Receiver and just output from the Receiver to the 8K HDMI port to the TV for video. I use Harmony remote for control. Would it make more sense to connect the Fios cable box to the TV, then use the apps on the TV for streaming, and EARC back to the Marantz Receiver? Will it get all the new sound formats? Need advice which way to connect theHDMI setup. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could just use the Harmony, or even HDMI ARC for the app audio sourced in the tv, don't see any reason to connect your cable box to the tv directly myself.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I agree with lovinthehd, I would connect everything through the Marantz. You're talking about a state of the art receiver, which is perfectly capable of passing through any hi res video and audio format , and your firestick can handle all streaming duties. That would be a simple effective setup to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what content would you source on the tv's apps that you can't get via ATV or cable?

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I will go with direct connect to the AVR receiver and send video to the TV via HDMI from the receiver. Just use apps on the Apple 4k TV. Thanks for your input.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
When devices are connected directly to the TV there is no handshake issues and less processing (i.e. through AVR, conversion and then output etc.). I've always been of the mindset that direct connection is always better and less hassle, but because the AVR (Denon X4300) had better processing than my old Panasonic Plasma, I had to connect my devices through the AVR and use the Harmony remote to work the system. However, the LG C9 TV has changed all of that. With the devices connected through the AVR, I'd always get the message on the LG that no source device was connected and to check for connection whenever I tried to watch FIOS. It took several steps with the Harmony remote to get things synced (never did figure out the issue, but got tired of dealing with it). To eliminate this, I connected my devices (FIOS box and Apple TV 4k) directly to the TV and I no longer get that error message. I know I can use the Apple TV to access the same apps as on the TV, but I mainly use the Apple TV for Zwifting. I use the TV apps to stream movies and it works seamlessly through the AVR and with the SHARC device, via eARC, it feeds full uncompressed audio to the AVR. It is just easier to press the Netflix or Amazon or other programmed buttons on the remote and go directly into the apps and start streaming. This setup keeps it simple for the family, too.

I use the SHARC eARC Audio Converter to feed audio sound from TV back to the AVR for full uncompressed audio. This little device saved me from having to purchase a new AVR. Now, I can sit back and see what develops with the new HDMI 2.1 format and not feel a need to jump in on these new receivers and I can scope the deals that will soon surface out there.

So, with all that said, I'd say "It Depends" which connection is better for your situation. I like to keep it simple when possible.

Last edited:
M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
Thanks for your input, it was very persuasive. Your a wise man. I will connect via earc.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your input, it was very persuasive. Your a wise man. I will connect via earc.
Here is the reality with ARC (eARC)-- Don't count on it working as you expect, or at all! Each manufacturer may implement it a bit differently, so you may have difficulties, oddities, or just a complete non-functional setup in this configuration.

IF it works for you, with your equipment and setup, then it can be a quite nice user experience!

All you can do is try it and see!

I also tend to prefer the "classic" approach where everything goes to the AVR. BUT....my new LG OLED TV has the Magic Remote which is AWESOME! So, to be able to use the magic remote to its fullest as a universal remote (and easiest simplest), I went with my usually non-preferred approach of connecting everything to the TV and using eARC protocol.

To my great satisfaction, it "mostly" works exactly as intended! I do feel that I got a bit lucky on this, it can be a real headache. Now, I do have just a couple of minor quirks. If I go to a particular input, then back, then I the audio never switches back correctly, and I have to either power cycle with the TV remote, or get the AVR remote and press a particular button. This is a minor annoyance, and the way I have it set up and use it, I may have to deal with it every now and then, but not continuously or daily. In the big picture, I accept a small sporadic annoyance due to all of the other benefits of how I have it set up.

EDIT: @Methodical I believe mine is the LG C8....a heck of a nice display! Do you also have the Magic Remote? Man, I was sooooo skeptical that this remote was gonna be a piece of crap and nothing but frustration. It is one of those things that they better get right, or don't do it at all. Fortunately, from Day 1, I realized that LG got it right! That is the ONLY reason I decided to go the direct to TV and EARC configuration route!

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I hope earc works. This is terrible, you buy new equipment and you hope it works.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Here is the reality with ARC (eARC)-- Don't count on it working as you expect, or at all! Each manufacturer may implement it a bit differently, so you may have difficulties, oddities, or just a complete non-functional setup in this configuration.

IF it works for you, with your equipment and setup, then it can be a quite nice user experience!

All you can do is try it and see!

I also tend to prefer the "classic" approach where everything goes to the AVR. BUT....my new LG OLED TV has the Magic Remote which is AWESOME! So, to be able to use the magic remote to its fullest as a universal remote (and easiest simplest), I went with my usually non-preferred approach of connecting everything to the TV and using eARC protocol.

To my great satisfaction, it "mostly" works exactly as intended! I do feel that I got a bit lucky on this, it can be a real headache. Now, I do have just a couple of minor quirks. If I go to a particular input, then back, then I the audio never switches back correctly, and I have to either power cycle with the TV remote, or get the AVR remote and press a particular button. This is a minor annoyance, and the way I have it set up and use it, I may have to deal with it every now and then, but not continuously or daily. In the big picture, I accept a small sporadic annoyance due to all of the other benefits of how I have it set up.

EDIT: @Methodical I believe mine is the LG C8....a heck of a nice display! Do you also have the Magic Remote? Man, I was sooooo skeptical that this remote was gonna be a piece of crap and nothing but frustration. It is one of those things that they better get right, or don't do it at all. Fortunately, from Day 1, I realized that LG got it right! That is the ONLY reason I decided to go the direct to TV and EARC configuration route!
Yes, I have the Magic Remote, too. I don't believe I've used it to it's full potential yet though. My wife even likes it with the new LG TV I bought for the bedroom (she mostly uses that TV since the mancave is mine) and no longer uses the FIOS remote. I got her onto the internet today via the TV to watch some videos and I think she's hooked with the new smart TV and remote.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
This is what happens when the Marketing Dept runs the show, rather than the engineers!
What issues do you have with eARC and what equipment are you using? It seems LG has done something right with their implementation. When watching FIOS, I can literally see the audio output change real time as it goes from the TV show I'm watching and as it cycles through the various commercials with no delay.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What issues do you have with eARC and what equipment are you using? It seems LG has done something right with their implementation. When watching FIOS, I can literally see the audio output change real time as it goes from the TV show I'm watching and as it cycles through the various commercials with no delay.
Some manufactures skip HDMI certification (to cut costs) and issues arise. It is getting better though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would call mine some quirks rather than real issues.

It all has to do with swapping over to using an input and the AVR as the source selection, rather than the TV. Then, when I go back to the TV as the source selector, it will pick up the video on HDMI, but not the audio. The quick fix is to either power cycle the system, or dig out the AVR remote and hit a button to select the proper audio input again.

All things considered, I live with this small annoyance.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Some manufactures skip HDMI certification (to cut costs) and issues arise. It is getting better though.
Is there a published of the companies who do or don't go through the certification process?

M

Methodical

Audioholic
I would call mine some quirks rather than real issues.

It all has to do with swapping over to using an input and the AVR as the source selection, rather than the TV. Then, when I go back to the TV as the source selector, it will pick up the video on HDMI, but not the audio. The quick fix is to either power cycle the system, or dig out the AVR remote and hit a button to select the proper audio input again.

All things considered, I live with this small annoyance.
Ahh, I see. As noted, I've switched the couple devices I use over to the TV, except the Oppo 203 because the SHARC audio converter takes up 2 HDMI slots. That's the only downside to using the SHARC, but the AVR can handle all of the audio for the 203.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis