Need help with room size changes

C

chase14

Audiophyte
Hi. I’m very new to this so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I recently moved to a new place (temporarily). My old house had a small theater room (187 sq ft), but the new one is over 800 sq ft. Not being an audiophile (but learning to appreciate good sound), I have a HTIB system from Samsung (HT-J5500W Home Theater System). The 1000w was more than enough for the old place, and for the most part it’s fine for now in the new place. The issue is the surround speakers. The viewing distance from the TV is only about 12 ft, but that means the rear speakers are too far away to really be heard. I don’t have the ability to move them closer so they will have to stay on the back wall unfortunately.
I would like some advice on how to make it so I can hear the surround speakers without replacing the whole system or spending a ton of money. Like I said this is a temporary place, and I cannot say what my next place will be like, so I don’t want to spend a lot only to have to change everything again in a year. It would be ideal if I could simply do something like upgrade the two surround speakers.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I’m not sure if this is allowed but here is a link to the system I have https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/home-theater-systems/ht-j5500w-home-theater-system-ht-j5500w-za/

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Since they are just effects speakers it won't make much difference but I'd see if the menu allows you to raise the channel levels of the speakers and just boost those.

C

chase14

Audiophyte
Since they are just effects speakers it won't make much difference but I'd see if the menu allows you to raise the channel levels of the speakers and just boost those.
Thanks for the reply.
It does allow channel level adjusting, and that helped a bit but not enough to make any difference sadly.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the reply.
It does allow channel level adjusting, and that helped a bit but not enough to make any difference sadly.
For some reason I thought it was 7.1, sorry. Those are surrounds and shouldn't be behind you, but to the side of you. That will help putting them in their correct position.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Would you be able to place the surrounds to the sides? (They arent really supposed to be far back (angle))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The adding up of "watts" by the HTIB sales team is meaningless.

C

chase14

Audiophyte
For some reason I thought it was 7.1, sorry. Those are surrounds and shouldn't be behind you, but to the side of you. That will help putting them in their correct position.
Oh. Good to know. I didn't know that so thanks. That makes the task even more difficult unfortunately. I semi-misspoke... the speakers are behind, but spread out as far to the sides as the wires allow. It's difficult to describe, but the room is square (for the most part - 29.25x27.5) with the TV in a corner. So the wireless receiver is in the back corner with the speakers on the adjacent walls. Putting the wireless receiver behind the TV, and moving the speakers to the nearest side walls seems to be a logical idea, except there are obstacles that make running wires along those walls nearly impossible.
Thanks for your help

C

chase14

Audiophyte
Would you be able to place the surrounds to the sides? (They arent really supposed to be far back (angle))

Hey thanks for helping. I would have difficulty because of the room layout.

On a side note: my job has me moving around the country every year or 2, so I rent places. I can't really go into walls and do a proper setup unfortunately.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
An option is to not use the surrounds, only the front 3.1 but remember to set surrounds to off in the AVR so you get everything in the front 3. At least if its only for a somewhat limited time.

C

chase14

Audiophyte
The adding up of "watts" by the HTIB sales team is meaningless.
Hi - thanks for the input. I believe I get what you're saying, but since I don't have the knowledge, I really don't know how else to measure what I have and need other than the "basic" info. I know there is much much more to it all, but I really just want to be able to hear the surround speakers from the viewing position. I don't know how else to help you help me so to speak. Sorry

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Hey thanks for helping. I would have difficulty because of the room layout.

On a side note: my job has me moving around the country every year or 2, so I rent places. I can't really go into walls and do a proper setup unfortunately.
If you are moving that often it might be an idea to just do a better 2.1 setup. A good pair of speakers pluss a sub is much better than HTiB setups. If set up well it can sound even more enveloping than badly placed 5.1 systems.

C

chase14

Audiophyte
An option is to not use the surrounds, only the front 3.1 but remember to set surrounds to off in the AVR so you get everything in the front 3. At least if its only for a somewhat limited time.

So effectively it would work like a very long soundbar?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi - thanks for the input. I believe I get what you're saying, but since I don't have the knowledge, I really don't know how else to measure what I have and need other than the "basic" info. I know there is much much more to it all, but I really just want to be able to hear the surround speakers from the viewing position. I don't know how else to help you help me so to speak. Sorry
I think your best solution is moving the surrounds to the sides closer to where you sit. The speakers in an HTIB kit tend to be the weakest part and generally are most suitable to small rooms. Many wall mounts are no more instrusive than a picture mount, altho I know I've had rentals where even that was discouraged. There are speaker stands that can work well, too. How about a pic or diagram of the room as setup now?

No problem, knowledge will come in time if you look for it. Just include a specific make/model we can look up the relevant specs. There are lots of helpful articles here on Audioholics to expand your knowledge of relevant specs/info....take a look at the various articles via the AV Research tab.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
So effectively it would work like a very long soundbar?
Ye.
I only bother to turn on the amp for the surrounds when i watch movies or some tv series like game of thrones and lost in space. For normal tv/streaming i basically use 3.1 .

C

chase14

Audiophyte
If you are moving that often it might be an idea to just do a better 2.1 setup. A good pair of speakers pluss a sub is much better than HTiB setups. If set up well it can sound even more enveloping than badly placed 5.1 systems.

That's a thought. But if there's no way to get more from the surround speakers I think I'll just probably have to stick with your last suggestion. I appreciate your help!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis