Oppo 203 vs current 4k players. Secondary use.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would get the Sony, UPB- X800M2. It is a really good player, that plays everything. It is truly a universal player and excellent value for money. I think it makes the old Oppo players not worth the prices asked by a long shot. That is a better player. I also have a highly touted Panasonic DP-UB9000. That is not a universal player. The PQ of the Sony is every bit as good as the Panasonic which is nearly three times the price. I bought the Panasonic first, but my Oppo player would not even play a CD through my Marantz 7705 only the 7701. All you could get was a mauve hazy picture and no audio from anything. So I moved that to a 2.2 system.

That Sony player is an unrecognized super value. That is an absolute top recommendation of mine. Unlike other Sony players I have had, the set up is easy and the ergonomics excellent. I personally would rate that as the best BD player now available at any price.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
@TLS Guy I totally agree. I have the Sony and love it. The only down side on the Sony of you can call it that is that it doesn't have a lot of Streaming apps loaded on it. I don't mind as I have other sources that offer more than enough including my TV and PS4 alone. I also have many other options I can add if I would like although I mainly use my system for music and concert videos.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy I totally agree. I have the Sony and love it. The only down side on the Sony of you can call it that is that it doesn't have a lot of Streaming apps loaded on it. I don't mind as I have other sources that offer more than enough including my TV and PS4 alone. I also have many other options I can add if I would like although I mainly use my system for music and concert videos.
I think most rigs have multiple ways to stream. I know there are countless on mine. Anyhow a cheap ChromeCast and your smart phone will get you almost anything yo want. I think units need to concentrate on good core functions. This unit pays any discs I have and well. This unit is a digital disc player and a good one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From owning several Sony bluray players, can't imagine the build quality is up to that of the Oppo (I have a 203 also). My PS3 was fairly well built, so its possible but at the price point for the X800 I wonder. I have not had the Oppo not play a disc....what was that disc? Why would it play with one Marantz processor and not another? Weird.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

From owning several Sony bluray players, can't imagine the build quality is up to that of the Oppo (I have a 203 also). My PS3 was fairly well built, so its possible but at the price point for the X800 I wonder. I have not had the Oppo not play a disc....what was that disc? Why would it play with one Marantz processor and not another? Weird.
Well, sometimes a Leopard changes its spots!

All I can tell you is that this Sony player is very well built and styled. The drawer moves in and out in a quiet silky fashion. I can not fault it. I have the Panasonic DP-UB9000 considered the top player. However I own both and I rate to Sony the better player. As far as I am concerned I rate that Sony disc player the best currently available and I see no reason to spend more on the Panasonic. I stand firmly behind that assertion.

My Oppo player still works as it did new. The problem is that it will not play through my Marantz 7705 or my 4K OLED TV, when connected directly. You get no audio from any disc of whatever type, not even a CD. It is "playing" the disc as you can see the cursor moving across the dim screen. But you hear nothing. You get a picture, but it is misty mauve. The player works fine when connected to my 2K Marantz 7701. My son and I tried every setting imaginable and no matter what it is incompatible with both these 4K devices. So its HDMI is not forward compatible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, sometimes a Leopard changes its spots!

All I can tell you is that this Sony player is very well built and styled. The draw moves in and out in a quiet silky fashion. I can not fault it. I have the Panasonic DP-UB9000 considered the top player. However I own both and I rate to Sony the better player. As far as I am concerned I rate that Sony disc player the best currently available and I see no reason to spend more on the Panasonic. I stand firmly behind that assertion.

My Oppo player still works as it did new. The problem is that it will not play through my Marantz 7705 or my 4K OLED TV, when connected directly. You get no audio from any disc of whatever type, not even a CD. You get a picture, but it is misty mauve. The player works fine when connected to my 2K Marantz 7701. My son and I tried every setting imaginable and no matter what it is incompatible with both these 4K devices. So its HDMI is not forward compatible.
What model Oppo do you have? An older one I take it....but surprised it couldn't play a cd....was it one you burned yourself or a redbook or ? Good to know Sony has a better build for their player now, tho.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What model Oppo do you have? An older one I take it....but surprised it couldn't play a cd....was it one you burned yourself or a redbook or ? Good to know Sony has a better build for their player now, tho.
It's an OPPO BDP-83. I tried lots of discs, no sound from CD, DVDs, BDs, and SACDs. You can get no audio and only a misty mauve unwatchable picture.

The OPPO is now in my 2K 2.2 system where it performs just fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's an OPPO BDP-83. I tried lots of discs, no sound from CD, DVDs, BDs, and SACDs. You can get no audio and only a misty mauve unwatchable picture.

The OPPO is now in my 2K 2.2 system where it performs just fine.
What did Oppo have to say about that?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What did Oppo have to say about that?
I could get no response from them at all. I think they have essentially closed up shop. Anyhow I will use it in my two channel system until it fails.

If it is a disc player you want though there is absolutely nothing wrong with that Sony player. It is a real bargain and delivers an excellent picture.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I could get no response from them at all. I think they have essentially closed up shop. Anyhow I will use it in my two channel system until it fails.

If it is a disc player you want though there is absolutely nothing wrong with that Sony player. It is a real bargain and delivers an excellent picture.
They may be closed for the pandemic, but were there before that afaik and still provide support even for that player, at least it shows they that model on their support page. Does seem the support/technical matters have been spun off to OT Service Inc. Can't understand why your player wouldn't work just because your gear is 4k capable or not. https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They may be closed for the pandemic, but were there before that afaik and still provide support even for that player, at least it shows they that model on their support page. Does seem the support/technical matters have been spun off to OT Service Inc. Can't understand why your player wouldn't work just because your gear is 4k capable or not. https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
That was back in November 2019 before the pandemic. There has not been a firmware update for that player since November 2014. It has the most current firmware.
Basically I think they are not going to devote resources to that player. The last time they did a firmware update for any 2K player is nearly fours years ago now. Only their two 4K players have had recent updates, and I bet they are the only ones actually being supported and you wonder for how much longer.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Get the Panasonic UB-9000 and don't look back. It's the best built and best performing player on the market.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Get the Panasonic UB-9000 and don't look back. It's the best built and best performing player on the market.
I grant you the Panasonic UB-9000 is a very good player, with high build quality. However it is NOT a universal player. I know it does not advertise as such.

However the Sony is also a very well built player with a silky action. It is a truly universal player. It is also about a third of the price of the Panasonic and therefore a good value. on my 77" LG OLED, I can not see a difference in PQ.

If I had bought my Sony first, and I don't think it was out when I bought the UB-9000, I would not have bought that Panasonic player.

I know that sounds to good to be true, but in this case it is true. I have to say I was very surprised by this.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Let me make clear what goes on with these Panny players with regard to RESUME PLAYBACK:

- The units will NOT resume playback with ANY Blu-rays whether the disc is stopped and the player remains on, or if the disc is ejected and then reloaded another time (it doesn't remember the last played position). HOWEVER, if a Blu-ray is authored with the Java encoding that "instructs" the disc to show the "RESUME PLAY: YES/NO" when the disc is loaded the next time (such as with some Universal and Disney discs), then the player WILL, of course, present that menu prompt on the screen.

- The units will NOT resume playback with ANY DVDs if they have been ejected from the player; if the STOP button is pressed during DVD playback, then you CAN resume playback from that point again.

This is just one of the many features that piss me off about the Panasonics (I have the UB9000), and what I absolutely loved about the Oppos (heck...first generation DVD players allowed you to resume playback when a disc was ejected)...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Paris,

I had been messaging you about my 9000's settings since the last time we spoke; did you not receive them?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I replaced my Oppo 203 with a Panny 820, since the money offered for the Oppo was just too good to pass up. Plus I didn't want to be left with an orphaned machine in a few years. There are a few features on the Oppo that I took for granted and still miss (memorized disc positions, digital zoom for non-anamorphic DVDs, etc.) but for most discs the Panny is more than adequate. I will say that the build quality of the Oppo was most impressive, and I really wish they had stayed in the business.
It's absolutely RIDICULOUS that Panasonic couldn't include this in their 4K UHD disc players.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, sorry I was away from this forum for a while...
No problem; yeah, figured you were not active. Hope all is well, and looking forward to discussing more about the UB9000 with you.

Stay safe!

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Let me make clear what goes on with these Panny players with regard to RESUME PLAYBACK:

- The units will NOT resume playback with ANY Blu-rays whether the disc is stopped and the player remains on, or if the disc is ejected and then reloaded another time (it doesn't remember the last played position). HOWEVER, if a Blu-ray is authored with the Java encoding that "instructs" the disc to show the "RESUME PLAY: YES/NO" when the disc is loaded the next time (such as with some Universal and Disney discs), then the player WILL, of course, present that menu prompt on the screen.

- The units will NOT resume playback with ANY DVDs if they have been ejected from the player; if the STOP button is pressed during DVD playback, then you CAN resume playback from that point again.

This is just one of the many features that piss me off about the Panasonics (I have the UB9000), and what I absolutely loved about the Oppos (heck...first generation DVD players allowed you to resume playback when a disc was ejected)...
Yup. The Oppo would remember positions from the last few discs that were played, DVD or Blu-ray. It really came in handy for watching TV shows on disc. I'd finish one show, then just barely start the next and eject the disc. The next time watching I'd pop the disc in and it would skip all the preliminaries and start that next episode right away. The Panny makes me wait through all the unskippable piracy warnings, skip the promos, and navigate the disc menu every time. I *miss* that feature.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
When you'll say the Sony's a good player, which version are you'll referring, too; the 700 or 800 model?

I need a 4k player, but I don't need all the features and price of my Oppo 203. This will be for the Wifey and she's not into all the techy stuff. We just need a really good 4k player that will be played through a LG 4k tv.

Thanks...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis