as if COVID wasn't bad enough ............

Status
Not open for further replies.
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I looked up the BLM mission statement. Most of it is pretty reasonable, in my view. The only odd thing that was there was the very thing you pointed out, this statement: "We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable. "

Now, it's not all that specific what is exactly meant there. I don't know that it is saying that children should be raised without a father, and I would bet that isn't what is intended. It seems to me what it is saying that it takes a village to raise a child, and that larger society has duty in raising its citizens, at least if they want those citizens to be well-balanced. I don't disagree with that notion, however I do disagree with the notion that fathers aren't important. But it should be kept in mind that families can take all kinds of forms, and just because some families do not have the traditional one-father one-mother structure doesn't necessarily mean they are worse off.

Something else to keep in mind, it seems to me that BLM isn't as centralized as one web page or one organization. The fact that so many cities had such large protests so quickly speaks to the vitality and legitimacy of the root cause of Black Lives Matter, which is also the main thrust of the mission statement, that Black Americans are unfairly targeted by police and the justice system.

I can't watch those Youtube videos at the moment since I am not at a computer that has sound playback capability.
I have no problem at all with protests but I have a huge problem with rioting and everything that comes with it.

One thing that a lot of people just don't seem interested in addressing- if someone remains peaceful during a traffic stop, they're unlikely to be beaten/abused/shot. I watched videos from several Black people who are against the agenda and tactics of BLM specifically because BLM doesn't talk about the violence in the Black community and because of the violence associated with the rioters who call themselves 'protesters'. One also said "Don't fight the Police in the streets, fight them in court. Live to tell the tale and if the Police lose the case, collect the money and take care of your family".

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have no problem at all with protests but I have a huge problem with rioting and everything that comes with it.

One thing that a lot of people just don't seem interested in addressing- if someone remains peaceful during a traffic stop, they're unlikely to be beaten/abused/shot. I watched videos from several Black people who are against the agenda and tactics of BLM specifically because BLM doesn't talk about the violence in the Black community and because of the violence associated with the rioters who call themselves 'protesters'. One also said "Don't fight the Police in the streets, fight them in court. Live to tell the tale and if the Police lose the case, collect the money and take care of your family".
I agree that the protests are justified and the rioting/looting are completely unjustified and counterproductive.

Why do we never hear about white drivers being beaten/abused/shot? I'm sure it must happen, but we just don't hear about it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I agree that the protests are justified and the rioting/looting are completely unjustified and counterproductive.

Why do we never hear about white drivers being beaten/abused/shot? I'm sure it must happen, but we just don't hear about it.
It does. Stuff like that sadly doesn't get reported often, but neither do the black drivers unless someone records it and is outraged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/ has tons of crappy things cops have done to just about everyone.

I've heard people say "more white people are shot by police than black people" and that might be true, but there are many factors to consider.

1. What were the people doing when shot?
2. Why were they interacting with police in the first place?

That and we also have to take in the percentage of the population both races make up. Supposedly black people are around 13.4 percent of the US population while white people are 76.3 percent. If 60 percent of the shootings are white and the other 40 are black, that is a HUGE disparity when it comes to percentage of the population (those shooting percentages are totally made up). THAT'S why people are mad. Not just that, but if black folks are minding their own business and get harassed by police and are eventually shot, that is MUCH different than a white guy getting shot because he decided to open fire on people at Wal-mart.

So, statistics are neat, but what story do they really tell?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
All that did was make me more certain that I don't really know what cracker means!o_O
My 3rd grade teacher in Gainesville said that the term originally referred to like an upper crust go getter. I'm only able to remember my thoughts on it from when I was 8 but preppy or dandy are synonymous with my recollection of her description. Busing was going on and the 'C' word was getting tossed around plenty.

Fortunately by the '70s there was an underground railroad for white people called 'the interstate'. But I liked the abuse so I went back for a while.

True story except the parts I made up.

EDIT: Swerd had the Fla 'C'-word wiki link! That's the exact term the teacher used!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My 3rd grade teacher in Gainesville said that the term originally referred to like an upper crust go getter. I'm only able to remember my thoughts on it from when I was 8 but preppy or dandy are synonymous with my recollection of her description. Busing was going on and the 'C' word was getting tossed around plenty.

Fortunately by the '70s there was an underground railroad for white people called 'the interstate'. But I liked the abuse so I went back for a while.

True story except the parts I made up.

EDIT: Swerd had the Fla 'C'-word wiki link! That's the exact term the teacher used!
Fla 'C'-word raises all kinds of possibilities.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
We were already in the midst of COVID- what reasonable person would decide that massive protests and rioting is a good idea. BLM's timing was a reaction to being cooped up, IMO. Murder and domestic violence incidents have increased greatly- in MKE, the number murdered is already double that of last year and the trend had been downward for the last five years, not up.

I would argue that no grassroots group is so organized that they can get a national or international event going so quickly without a lot of outside help. I'm not sure it would have been as widespread if not for the fact that face masks were being worn for preventing the spread of COVID- how many protesters or rioters want their face to be clearly visible when the bricks and bottles start flying?

When have so many city leaders caved into the demands of protest groups, so easily? What are they afraid of? Why would they think defunding the Police would be a good thing? If a PD is known to be bad, someone had to know about it before the SHTF. Even if it's only through rumors, those need to be checked out but disbanding is dangerous because the vacuum created will cause large increases in crimes at a time when people are already acting as if the police don't exist in some places. The fact that some officers seem to have taken the whole thing as a sign that they should do exactly what was being protested looks like they weren't even aware that cops killing people in custody is a problem and as I posted at the beginning of the protests, the PDs should have weeded out the bad ones before they could cause the damage they're doing.
If you can show me an event which reflects the same type of totally cold and calculated disregard for human life as Floyd's death and was introduced into the collective awareness of society the way the video did, then I might start to believe something else may have been an influence.
However, to my mind, that video of Floyd's murder was a huge game-changing exhibition of abuse of power! The fact that that type of incident could occur in 2020 USA shattered my image of the police. I recognize that this video probably represents one of the worst incidents to occur (I hope so), but I also recognize that such an incident (including the three officers that watched) could not happen unless the problem was systemic (well, I suppose there might be some fluke of 4 psychopaths all happening to be assigned to the same incident).
The officers I know (here in GA) wanted to join the protesters after watching the video!
I think you are underestimating the universal impact that video had on humanity.
I totally understand how that video was the flame that could start worldwide protests.
Maybe you should watch it again and consider what level of shame and outrage it incites for anyone watching it!

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
If you can show me an event which reflects the same type of totally cold and calculated disregard for human life as Floyd's death and was introduced into the collective awareness of society the way the video did, then I might start to believe something else may have been an influence.
However, to my mind, that video of Floyd's murder was a huge game-changing exhibition of abuse of power! The fact that that type of incident could occur in 2020 USA shattered my image of the police. I recognize that this video probably represents one of the worst incidents to occur (I hope so), but I also recognize that such an incident (including the three officers that watched) could not happen unless the problem was systemic (well, I suppose there might be some fluke of 4 psychopaths all happening to be assigned to the same incident).
The officers I know (here in GA) wanted to join the protesters after watching the video!
I think you are underestimating the universal impact that video had on humanity.
I totally understand how that video was the flame that could start worldwide protests.
Maybe you should watch it again and consider what level of shame and outrage it incites for anyone watching it!
Heres a pretty bad one.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
Thought he was going to shoot the other cop for the key card "mistake".....what a power trip that guy is on. Guess he figured the pellet gun was hidden on the kid. Too bad he wasn't convicted of the charges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver
even sadder thing is this wasnt a kid. it was a father of two. i guess him and his wife were drunk in their hotel room. they had this dude incapacitated on the ground why put him in a position to even move just cuff him.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
even sadder thing is this wasnt a kid. it was a father of two. i guess him and his wife were drunk in their hotel room. they had this dude incapacitated on the ground why put him in a position to even move just cuff him.
26 is a kid to me :) Has a Cartman complex?....don't question his authority....if you make a mistake you will be shot! How the hell did he even get on the force?

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
26 is a kid to me :) Has a Cartman complex?....don't question his authority....if you make a mistake you will be shot! How the hell did he even get on the force?
I agree. he had the guy jumping through hoops.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Heres a pretty bad one.

I agree, that is very disturbing.
Not sure if the guy with the rifle was on a power trip or scared shitless!
However, my post included:
was introduced into the collective awareness of society the way the video did
If this went viral, I never saw it or even heard about it. However, being body-cam footage, I doubt it was released the same day as the incident which also takes some of the urgency out of the impact.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This article impeccably articulates some of the things I had been talking about before about having no federal leadership in a time when we desperately need it the most. January 20, 2021 can not arrive soon enough. I just hope it is not too late by then.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This article impeccably articulates some of the things I had been talking about before about having no federal leadership in a time when we desperately need it the most. January 20, 2021 can not arrive soon enough. I just hope it is not too late by then.
Remember when you made that good post a couple weeks back about being between a rock and a hard place? this is more like being smashed between 2 boulders

Man if we think sh@$ is bad out there on the streets right now just wait till people start getting evicted with no jobs and no help out there for them

It could make everything we've seen up to know look like a warm up

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

This was a pretty cool interview that covers some stuff we've been talking on this thread about lately

Some interesting viewpoints and perspectives

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw this Letter to the Editors in this morning's Washington Post. I liked it and thought I would share it here.

I had a pretty severe case of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in the early spring. I survived it and have tested positive for the antibodies. It didn’t kill me, even though I’m right in its wheelhouse: a man in his 70s who could use some road work. More than a few folks think I’m bulletproof. I don’t.​
I wear a face mask these days because it’s the polite thing to do, it can’t hurt and it’s required by many places. But mostly, I wear a mask because in doing so I stand in solidarity with the great majority of Americans, and it’s nice to have that sense of shared and responsible community again, even if it’s only about something as trivial as a face covering. Maybe the mask will be a baby step back to a more civil, as well as safe, society.
Jon S. Ketzner, Cumberland, Md.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Why do you think I don't believe the Floyd case is terrible?

-Some of the questions I haven't seen answered-
-Why did the other officers do nothing to stop the death? They told the people to stop recording but just stood there for over eight minutes like their feet were glued to the ground.
-Why was Chaudry's camera turned off?
-Why have we seen no other body camera video?

The Police aren't there to live up to your image, nor mine (I think we all have somewhat different images)- they're supposed to stop crime when they can, find criminals after the fact and control of certain situations but I haven't heard that they're supposed to be angels. Some of them are just idiots if they think killing people will go unnoticed. Most officers are good enough but as I wrote, I was told by a cop that some want to save the world while others are one step away from going to prison- the fact that the latter are still being hired in/about 2020 tells me that nobody is steering the bus WRT their hiring practices.

I have a hard time believing that one terrible incident caused worldwide anger but the deaths at the hands of the police in the following weeks could be seen as pouring gas on the fire.

And not only did Chaudry not care about Floyd's life, the other three officers didn't, either. The fact that they knew video was being recorded makes them stupid, too. As far as being 'systemic', I think that word is overused- if it was systemic, more white cops would kill Blacks than White people and that's not the case, IMO.

highfigh

highfigh

I saw this Letter to the Editors in this morning's Washington Post. I liked it and though I would share it here.

I had a pretty severe case of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in the early spring. I survived it and have tested positive for the antibodies. It didn’t kill me, even though I’m right in its wheelhouse: a man in his 70s who could use some road work. More than a few folks think I’m bulletproof. I don’t.​
I wear a face mask these days because it’s the polite thing to do, it can’t hurt and it’s required by many places. But mostly I wear a mask because in doing so I stand in solidarity with the great majority of Americans, and it’s nice to have that sense of shared and responsible community again, even if it’s only about something as trivial as a face covering. Maybe the mask will be a baby step back to a more civil, as well as safe, society.
Jon S. Ketzner, Cumberland, Md.
I think people have become too selfish to do this as a nationwide practice. This country has had a "What's in it for me?" attitude for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis