Axiom Audio vs Goldenear vs YOUR suggestion?

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
I'm re-doing my home theatre basement area. I currently run an ONKYO 7.1 receiver, with a Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector, into Angstrom SUONO on-wall speakers. I USED to run my own home theatre online boutique shop, which is where I got all this stuff, but that was a long time ago. The bulb recently went on the Z2, so I'm using that as the 'trigger' to just start over, as it needs a reboot. I DO believe in paying to get great value, I also believe in the law of diminishing returns...so I'm not willing to pay $10,000 extra to get 1% better. My budget is under $10,000 CDN, so roughly $7,000 US.

Currently here's my wish list:
BenQ HT3550 projector
Denon AVR-X2600H (I have wiring for 7.1, and the walls and ceiling are done, and I'm OKAY with that)
Polk Audio Signature S35 center channel...gets great reviews, and is pretty affordable too. I understand some will say you HAVE to match your speakers, but with the center channel I respectfully disagree...I currently HAVE matched Angstrom speakers, and my center channel drives me nuts because it's too quiet sometimes. Since the CC MOSTLY handles the dialogue, and barely any big BOOMS or POWS or MUSIC, it already handles a very DIFFERENT sound than the main speakers...so different is okay. I figure it's best to just have a good center channel that can handle the dialogue.

Now the front L n R SPEAKERS is where I'm wrestling the most. I plan on keeping the Angstrom's for the surrounds...they should be plenty good enough for back-channel audio. The FRONTS are where I want to go with the best bang-for-buck. I do NOT mind paying a decent amount of money to get speakers that are VERY worth it. I'm thinking of the following setups:

Goldenear Triton 2+ with no sub since they have some pretty beefy active subs inside them - $4698 total Cdn, ($3450 US)
Goldenear Triton 5 with SVS PB2000 About $4000 Cdn total ($2950 US). The Triton 5's have the same highly touted ribbon tweeter and very good mids, but no active woofer, so the SVS jumps in, which MAY be even better, having the dedicated sub, right?
Axiom Audio M80's with SVS PB2000 about $3800 Cdn total ($2800 US).
I've flirted with high end Klipsch as an idea, and ELACs etc, since I can get a full LR/C set on Amazon for half of those prices and wondered whether I'd notice THAT much of a difference.

I now bare my soul to you and hope for your guidance. I am VERY open to having my mind changed, but I am NOT open to anyone that wants to post anything along the lines of "Oh my god, why would you do "X", that's just dumb, here's why"...I'm looking for help, NOT a spanking from someone that thinks they know better. That's why I came here after leaving AVSForum.

Thanks all. Looking forward to any suggestions.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
The new Polk legend series has gotten great reviews from Audioholics and elsewhere. I believe it’s close to your price range and would match your center. You could also save a little coin by going with HSU for subwoofage. Welcome to Audioholics.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since you're in Canada, I'd recommend Paradigm. Forget the Polk center and get this one: https://www.paradigm.com/en/center/premier-600c

There's a good review of the Paradigm Premier 800F's with the 500C center channel:

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/paradigm-800f
I was just about to make that very same recommendation. 800F speakers with a Premier center. If you want real massive made in Canada bass, look at the Paradigm Defiance X12 or X15 subwoofers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If only you knew a dealer in Canada who could help you out. $7,000 USD is a very healthy budget, but not if you have to pay full MSRP.

For that kind of money, I’m thinking at least something like a Denon X3000/4000 series or Yamaha RX-A1080/2080, an Epson or JVC PJ, and a 5.1.2 Atmos speaker system from a big brand company like KEF, Revel, RBH, Paradigm, Focal, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, PSB, ML, etc.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Even though I am in the process of Selling my GE setup, I have been very happy with them for my Home Theater. Yes you can get away without using a sub, but I still used another because of the size of my room. My preference between Axiom and GE would be pretty obvious :)

Bass is not boomy on the GEs, but going with the Triton 5s and separate subs is a solid move too IMO. The GE are very efficent speakers and will preform well even with an AVR.

I am still keeping my GE Invisa 7000 Atmos Speakers, I have been extremely pleased how well they performed.

To bad you are not in the US, I am selling my Triton Ones + SuperSub XXL for $3800 US lol.

Paradigm is one to look at if you are in Canada, but the only speakers they manufacture in North America are the Persona higher end line. Either way I have owned Paradigms in the past (Studio 100v5) and was happy with them until I moved to GE.

Demo Demo Demo, and decide, you have a nice budget with options.

I would also agree with ADTG in that you should seriously consider the Yamaha receivers, the build quality is quite good..

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
I will look into those Paradigms, and I'm very happy with how well Canada designs speakers. Thanks to easy access to that super sound testing area we have. I've owned some Sound Dynamic speakers in the past that were VERY impressive for the money, and I believe the Angstroms I own are also Canadian. Yes, just looked them up.

Combining that with what AcuDef said, that's why I wanted to give Axiom a good chance...they're not only CDN, but also a direct-to-client setup, so you save a good amount of markup. After running my own biz for a while, I know that speakers have a HUGE markup. At least, they did when I was in the biz.

Thanks guys, I'll take all that into consideration, and I appreciate it. I'll dig more into the Yamaha AV too.

I'm not SUPER close to pulling the trigger (unless I run into a great used set of GE's, which I came REAL close to just last month) so if anyone still wants to chime in, pls do.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Combining that with what AcuDef said, that's why I wanted to give Axiom a good chance...they're not only CDN, but also a direct-to-client setup, so you save a good amount of markup.
Not necessarily true. You have to compare all the options available to you. A lot of times big brand names can offer a lot more discounts. Talk to all your dealers and compare the discounts and final prices.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Even though I am in the process of Selling my GE setup, I have been very happy with them for my Home Theater. Yes you can get away without using a sub, but I still used another because of the size of my room. My preference between Axiom and GE would be pretty obvious :)

Bass is not boomy on the GEs, but going with the Triton 5s and separate subs is a solid move too IMO. The GE are very efficent speakers and will preform well even with an AVR.

I am still keeping my GE Invisa 7000 Atmos Speakers, I have been extremely pleased how well they performed.

To bad you are not in the US, I am selling my Triton Ones + SuperSub XXL for $3800 US lol.

Paradigm is one to look at if you are in Canada, but the only speakers they manufacture in North America are the Persona higher end line. Either way I have owned Paradigms in the past (Studio 100v5) and was happy with them until I moved to GE.

Demo Demo Demo, and decide, you have a nice budget with options.

I would also agree with ADTG in that you should seriously consider the Yamaha receivers, the build quality is quite good..
JUST read your setup in your sig...man that's impressive. Do you mind sharing why you're selling the GE's?

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Not necessarily true. You have to compare all the options available to you. A lot of times big brand names can offer a lot more discounts. Talk to all your dealers and compare the discounts and final prices.
Will do, thanks. I just wish we had a decent enough one in my area. I'm about 2 hours east of Toronto, so that would be the only place where I think I'd be able to demo all of the wish list ones together, but I also highly doubt I'll get any help in the way of discounting there as their rents are so high they'll need every dollar they can get.

Makes me want to consider re-opening my boutique business online just to get the cost-price-list. Lol.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
JUST read your setup in your sig...man that's impressive. Do you mind sharing why you're selling the GE's?
Caught a severe case of "Upgrade Disease" very common on these sites. My Home theater has become more of a multi-purpose room. I am moving up market a bit in $$, waiting on a solid pair of Salon2s to show up on audiogon. Though I keep going back and forth with the Focal Sopra 2s. I recently acquired a pair of JL Audio Fathom F112v2 Subs and an insane deal from my friend who upgraded, so I am going to go with speakers and separate subs. I have a 18x24 Home Theater area.

That being said I have had my GE T1s for over 3 years now and no regrets at all. I really like the HVFR Tweeters on those, so much that they are all over my house. I have met Sandy Gross (Designer) sever times, he even picked up the phone one time when I called GE with a setup question, great customer service. Now that he has departed GE and they were purchased by AudioQuest, I felt now was the time to move.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Caught a severe case of "Upgrade Disease" very common on these sites. My Home theater has become more of a multi-purpose room. I am moving up market a bit in $$, waiting on a solid pair of Salon2s to show up on audiogon. Though I keep going back and forth with the Focal Sopra 2s. I recently acquired a pair of JL Audio Fathom F112v2 Subs and an insane deal from my friend who upgraded, so I am going to go with speakers and separate subs. I have a 18x24 Home Theater area.

That being said I have had my GE T1s for over 3 years now and no regrets at all. I really like the HVFR Tweeters on those, so much that they are all over my house. I have met Sandy Gross (Designer) sever times, he even picked up the phone one time when I called GE with a setup question, great customer service. Now that he has departed GE and they were purchased by AudioQuest, I felt now was the time to move.
WHAAAAT?!?! He's gone from GE?! Dammit, that WAS my main reason for going with them. That guy is a genius...too bad he creates a new speaker company, gets it up to 'must have' status, then sells it...first Polk, then Definitive Tech, and now GE...aw man! Can't blame him...must get rich every time. Okay well now I'm definitely going to look into those Paradigms.

Thanks for the heads up, and good luck with the upgrades. When I had my first HT with my HT company, I had a small 11x20 room, soundproof insulation, carpeted the walls, and sconces on dimmers with a heavy carpet below...DEAD inside, and just AWESOME for movies. I miss that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the link...unfortunate, but good for him. Hopefully we don't see thousands of severely knocked down GoldenEars in Best Buy in years to come.
Just being owned by Audioquest is enough reason for me to never consider GE....but then again Henry Kloss and Bob Carver kept at it when you thought they might be done....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis