Long Shot... Bose 901 Series IV+ loaners for test purposes?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I am very curious how the Bose 901 speakers would test (objectively mainly, but also subjectively) using the more conventional measurement methods used today (such as the CTA-2034 method (spinorama)).

No Audiophile has some test data here but it's not anechoic by a long shot nor is it incorporated in to a spinorama set of data, which is what I want to see. I'm really just curious to see how something like this would measure not just on axis but namely how its radiation pattern (directivity index) would look because of how the 901 was designed to fire sound to the rear of the speaker. I think this would be a really neat/fun science project, so to speak.

With all of that said I am going out on a limb here... does anyone here have a set of the Bose 901 IV+ (I think the VI is the last version) and the EQ box they would be willing to loan me for review/test? Just for fun. Or if someone can help me facilitate this by putting me in contact with someone you know who has a set that would be great. The test is completely non-destructive. It’s just a bunch of sine sweeps and then various music in my listening room. I’d invite you over to help if you really want.
:D

If you want to know what kind of testing I am doing, you can find an example here:

Neumi BS5 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Except I likely wouldn't push the Bose speakers too hard in the distortion testing just because they're old, if the owner doesn't want me to.

I am located in North Alabama and would be willing to drive a couple hours to pick them up if needed. I could also cover shipping if it’s not too much.

I checked the usual for sale locations (Facebook, craigslist, etc). There are some 901 VI's around me (a few hours' drive one-way) for sale that look like they're in good condition but they’re also quite costly for me to purchase just to test.

I know this is a long shot. Not only to find a set someone would be willing to let me borrow but also to find a set that is ready to go (doesn’t need a full set of re-cones, has the EQ, etc). But, I think it would be really fun and enlightening for the community to know what this speaker measures like compared to conventional designs and maybe learn something we didn't already know.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Erin

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you gonna need money for a lawyer? ‘Cause I ain’t got none.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Are you gonna need money for a lawyer? ‘Cause I ain’t got none.
I've got documented methods of test. I've had to deal with a company threatening legal action once before in 2011. I can do it again. :D

If they mess with me I may countersue for false advertising. LOL

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am very curious how the Bose 901 speakers would test (objectively mainly, but also subjectively) using the more conventional measurement methods used today (such as the CTA-2034 method (spinorama)).

No Audiophile has some test data here but it's not anechoic by a long shot nor is it incorporated in to a spinorama set of data, which is what I want to see. I'm really just curious to see how something like this would measure not just on axis but namely how its radiation pattern (directivity index) would look because of how the 901 was designed to fire sound to the rear of the speaker. I think this would be a really neat/fun science project, so to speak.

Thanks,

Erin
How "like this" does "something" have to be?
I'd be happy to drive my Mirage OMD-5's over there and come get them after you are done!
In case you are not familiar, the drivers are pointed upwards into an omni-directional reflector (biased towards the front) with the tweeter mounted in the reflector for the woofer:

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Maybe that's why so many reviewers are scared to say anything negative about speakers, though. I better watch out... Jamo is gonna come get me. ;) :D

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
How "like this" does "something" have to be?
I'd be happy to drive my Mirage OMD-5's over there and come get them after you are done!
In case you are not familiar, the drivers are pointed upwards into an omni-directional reflector (biased towards the front) with the tweeter mounted in the reflector for the woofer:

Like This = Bose 901. :)

BUT... if you wanna drop the Mirage off sometime, that works for me. :)
I haven't moved yet. Just put them on the front porch. :D :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm pretty sure he's referencing this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_Corp._v._Consumers_Union_of_United_States,_Inc.

They did a whole lot more than just send a letter.
Wow! I kind of knew what to expect when I clicked on the link, but I did not expect the lawsuit to reach the US Supreme Court!
I hope Bose ended up paying Consumer Report's legal fees!
Silly me! When Bose claimed they invested heavily in R & D, I didn't realize they meant "R & D, Partners in Law"!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Makes me wonder how many 901 owners in the group....pretty sure I've seen one or two....

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
How do they do a 'spinorama' test with loudspeakers that bounce much of the signal off the wall?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
How do they do a 'spinorama' test with loudspeakers that bounce much of the signal off the wall?
The measurements go 360deg around the speaker, it does not matter where the drivers are located. But you are right in thinking that using a standardized 2.83V measured at the speaker terminals with 8 of 9 drivers rear facing is not likely to show alot of sensitivity in on axis and listening window measurements in an anechoic/outdoor test.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Yes, but in effect that wall functions as part of the speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think this is a very good question. Now, I'm no Bose apologist and wouldn't want any of their product even for free, but... the 901 is not a typical speaker and I don't think anechoic spinorama measurements would show real world or intended usage. Those speakers rely more on reflections than direct energy.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, but in effect that wall functions as part of the speaker.
That is true of any speaker listened to in a room. All speakers radiate energy in all directions, even if there are no drivers facing in all directions. So having most of the drivers rear facing would simply result in a lower SPL for the anechoic on axis and listening window measurements

The 901 is just 9 full range drivers. So any full range sweeps are going to demonstrate the lack of bass, and lack of treble those speakers, and really any Bose product is going to suffer from as no 'full range driver' is actually capable of reproducing all 10 octaves.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think this is a very good question. Now, I'm no Bose apologist and wouldn't want any of their product even for free, but... the 901 is not a typical speaker and I don't think anechoic spinorama measurements would show real world or intended usage. Those speakers rely more on reflections than direct energy.
Agreed, this is one of the shortcomings of spin-o-rama. For speakers with atypical dispersion and intended listening angles, simple polar maps or waterfall graphs are a lot more useful.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
That is exactly why I want to test them. We rely so heavily on evaluating performance based on CTA-2034 data which weights reflections as part of the analysis. I am interested to see what the CTA-2034 set of data would look like for something like the Bose 901 (as well as the Mirage Omni speakers I was loaned by @KEW). The early reflections breakout curve, namely. I think it will be interesting to see what this curve looks like. For those who don't know what I mean by the "breakout" of the early reflections curve, here is an example of what you're used to seeing with the typical spin data and below it, the set of curves that make up the early reflections curve.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
A member of ASR offered up a pair of Bose 901 Series V speakers to me to test. I will let him decide if he wants to say who he is. I told him I would take care of shipping costs both ways. Well, he shipped them today and the total was $115. One-way. So, probably another $115 back to him. Eek!

If anyone here is interested in this data enough and can help me cover the shipping costs it would be greatly appreciated. You can do so via PayPal through my site link here:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/contribute/

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The 'ASR' Bose tread seems to have drifted off testing Bose speakers and into off topic stuff.

Not much discussion measureing reflector speakers, dipole speakers, omni speakers or corner horns.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis