buying 2nd hand Sony VPL-VW500ES or Epson EH-TW9400

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Hi all

I need to decide between buying 2nd hand Sony VPL-VW500ES with 400hrs lamp life or a new Epson EH-TW9400 ( which need to order as it seems not available)

price for Sony VPL-VW500ES is $1200 more than new Epson EH-TW9400... I appreciate if you let me have your inputs .

Regards
Mason

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't buy the Sony. The potential issue with panel degradation is a real concern in my mind. Epson, at the very least, offers a warranty on their factory refurb items which is good to have. Not sure what pricing you are getting on this stuff, but at the end of the day, in a really good home theater, I would stick with JVC as the first choice. I think I might choose Epson over Sony for a second choice and as a more budget friendly option.

Still, Sony has great image processing and their projectors really do look great.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't buy the Sony. The potential issue with panel degradation is a real concern in my mind. Epson, at the very least, offers a warranty on their factory refurb items which is good to have. Not sure what pricing you are getting on this stuff, but at the end of the day, in a really good home theater, I would stick with JVC as the first choice. I think I might choose Epson over Sony for a second choice and as a more budget friendly option.

Still, Sony has great image processing and their projectors really do look great.
Thanks a lot for the advise , I also decide not to go with Sony, too risky...so you think I can get anything with same price o Epson 9400 in JVC?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JVC and Sony tend to be price competitive. In a really nice home theater, anything less than a JVC just isn't going to look as good. Epson is a solid projector overall though and is a good purchase. The JVC RS540 (XLA790) is probably the most affordable, high quality JVC LCoS model on the market right now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
JVC and Sony tend to be price competitive. In a really nice home theater, anything less than a JVC just isn't going to look as good. Epson is a solid projector overall though and is a good purchase. The JVC RS540 (XLA790) is probably the most affordable, high quality JVC LCoS model on the market right now.
Would you consider the NX5 an upgrade to the RS540 or is the picture on the RS540 better? Their naming convention sometimes makes it hard to figure out what level each PJ is at.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Would you consider the NX5 an upgrade to the RS540 or is the picture on the RS540 better? Their naming convention sometimes makes it hard to figure out what level each PJ is at.
I think that's a really tough call and I will be stating opinion more than fact as I haven't viewed the NX projectors personally at all (yet).

I think that the NX models offer a slight edge in general. JVC is putting their heart and soul into making these models the absolute best they can be. While the RS540 (X790) includes the good iris to really help peak black level performance well, it is still a pixel shifter and a model which JVC hasn't been focused on for more than a year now. The NX models is the next generation from them and really what they have been waiting for as a company. Overall, I would expect the NX series to be at least a reasonable step forward with the attention to detail the JVC will provide to these products. They really want to get things as close to right as possible, and based upon their history and tight detail orientation, I would think these models deliver just a bit more than the previous series, which is just typically the case with them.

But, that's based upon my history of seeing what JVC has done. A more honest response would come from someone making that change, and I'm not aware of anyone who has done so, or someone who has made that head to head comparison.

The RS540 is their midline model of the 1080p pixel shifter, similar to the Epson 5040/5050 model, which is a lot different than the native 4K resolution which the NX series delivers. But, the NX5 is their cheapest of the native 4K models.

Given the choice between a RS540 (X790) or a NX5 (RS1000), I would take the NX5. But, since budget comes into play, the more than $1,000 price difference would make it tough for me to go with... at least until my home theater is complete.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis