Denon VS Marantz - Digital VS Analog inputs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No current Denon receiver offers multi channel analog inputs that I'm aware of. I'd just save some money and make use of one of the Direct modes instead on the Denon if you want to bypass the internal DAC and DSP.
I think the 8500 is the last of the current models to include it still.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
I thought it might as well so I Googled the 8500's image before posting history and didn't see anything labeled that on the back. I used to have them on my older Denon 2805 so I knew what to look for.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Never mind. 7 channel in i see. Guess I don't know what i thought I knew, lol! It's labeled right above the pre out labeling so a bit hard to find. I'd still save the money for MCAIs and HDAM and get a Denon instead.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
All Denon flagship AVRs have the 7.1 analog inputs, but for non flag ship models in the 3000 and 4000 series, they stopped about 10 years ago so the last one that has them would be the AVR-4311CI. and the AVR-3808, possible even the AVR-2808CI.

For some reason, Marantz hangs on to this up to now. To me that is not a positive but a negative one because they are indirectly forcing the majority (I bet 99%) of the customers to pay for something they will never use. They should have followed suit at least 3 years ago if not sooner.

Imo, keeping them on flagship models are fine and fair because those who can afford flagship AVRs may not mind pay a few dollars more for a feature they may need occasionally, or they actually believe analogs are always better so they may not mind using those and give up some bass management and/or auto REQ etc.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
All Denon flagship AVRs have the 7.1 analog inputs, but for non flag ship models in the 3000 and 4000 series, they stopped about 10 years ago so the last one that has them would be the AVR-4311CI. and the AVR-3808, possible even the AVR-2808CI.

For some reason, Marantz hangs on to this up to now. To me that is not a positive but a negative one because they are indirectly forcing the majority (I bet 99%) of the customers to pay for something they will never use. They should have followed suit at least 3 years ago if not sooner.

Imo, keeping them on flagship models are fine and fair because those who can afford flagship AVRs may not mind pay a few dollars more for a feature they may need occasionally, or they actually believe analogs are always better so they may not mind using those and give up some bass management and/or auto REQ etc.
Then Marantz would just have the porthole and HDAM to separate the makes. The OPPO *05 crowd make use of them because they come with matching outputs. It also makes using a receiver as a power amplifier for another receiver a bit easier. I also don't see their allure but I don't use analog inputs for anything any longer.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Then Marantz would just have the porthole and HDAM to separate the makes. The OPPO *05 crowd make use of them because they come with matching outputs. It also makes using a receiver as a power amplifier for another receiver a bit easier. I also don't see their allure but I don't use analog inputs for anything any longer.
I have several players including one Oppo that have the 5.1/ 7.1 outputs and I have never used them, or even considered using them. Too lazy to be bothered with more wires, among other reasons.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
I have several players including one Oppo that have the 5.1/ 7.1 outputs and I have never used them, or even considered using them. Too lazy to be bothered with more wires, among other reasons.
The OPPO threads on AVS are full of those who do though. I agree with your lack of use of them however.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The OPPO threads on AVS are full of those who do though. I agree with your lack of use of them however.
Ah, that's why I figured 99% don't because I assume a good 1% do. I bet very few Sony's, Denon, Marantz, Samsung, Pioneer users do it, that's why Sony dropped theirs early and only available on a few models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, that's why I figured 99% don't because I assume a good 1% do. I bet very few Sony's, Denon, Marantz, Samsung, Pioneer users do it, that's why Sony dropped theirs early and only available on a few models.
Let alone how many players have such analog outputs now.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Exactly. They're offered still for the same reasons OPPO offered their outputs on the *05 models. To open audiophile's wallets just a bit wider for that elusive dream of audio nirvana. I'd rather have better parts inside and fewer legacy connections outside but that's just me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis