Should I get the Denon AVR X6700H or the X6500H

A

AlphaS3v3n

Audiophyte
How’s it going everyone.
Soooo my Onkyo went out.

I was looking at upgrading from an Onkyo tx-nr777 to a Denon Avr x6500h. I was wondering if it was worth the price to wait on new X6700h or just get the x6500h.

Use is 95% HT 5% music

Room 11 ft wide 23 ft long with two reclining couches one in front of the other.

2x Klipsch Rp-280FA front LR + Atmos

1x Klipsch Rp-450c center

2x Klipsch CDT-5650-cii over seats

2x Klipsch R-82 rear LR

2x SVS elevation prime for rear LR Elevation(got them for $250 new might swap out for Klipsch rp-500 later)

1x HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub misses said no to second one ‍♂ I should probably had the bass down until after I got the second one

Not getting an 8k tv I mostly just watch movies on Sony ubp-x800 Blu-ray or through apps Samsung un82ru8000fxza tv.

the picture attached is older and doesn’t show the new Klipsch ceiling speakers.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what is it about the feature set of the 6700 you need/want? Why these particularly in the first place?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
only real thing that got my attention was the DTS: X pro
Are you planning to add more channels? It's my understanding that DTS:X pro is just to allow up to 13.2 channels. If you're going to stick with 9.2, save yourself some cash and get the AVR-X4700H or 4500H

A

AlphaS3v3n

Audiophyte
I was going to install 2 more ceiling speakers above second row and 2 heights up front to for 11.2. But I’ll definitely consider keeping it 9.2

A

AlphaS3v3n

Audiophyte
Oh also Got 4 more Klipsch 5650-cii for $125 each last week and I have a deal on a x6500h for $1600 that’s why I was thinking that route and setting it up as follows.

2x Klipsch Rp-280F front L&R
1x HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer

2x SVS elevation prime mounted on the ceiling about 1 foot to the L&R between both rows of Theater seats facing in (2 Sitting positions per theater seat)

2x Klipsch R-82 rear L&R

I was going to install

4x Klipsch CDT-5650-cii in the ceiling but not sure if I should install:
1) right above each seat
2) to the left and right of each seat
3) just in front of each row
4) just behind each row
5) just in front of 1st row and just behind 2nd row
6) or a combination of two if the above options

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh also Got 4 more Klipsch 5650-cii for $125 each last week and I have a deal on a x6500h for $1600 that’s why I was thinking that route and setting it up as follows.

2x Klipsch Rp-280F front L&R
1x HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer

2x SVS elevation prime mounted on the ceiling about 1 foot to the L&R between both rows of Theater seats facing in (2 Sitting positions per theater seat)

2x Klipsch R-82 rear L&R

I was going to install

4x Klipsch CDT-5650-cii in the ceiling but not sure if I should install:
1) right above each seat
2) to the left and right of each seat
3) just in front of each row
4) just behind each row
5) just in front of 1st row and just behind 2nd row
6) or a combination of two if the above options
$1600 for a X6500H is a good deal if brand new with Denon warranty, can you get even better deal for the X4500H form the same place?

A

AlphaS3v3n

Audiophyte
So somebody purchased it and then returned it without opening it but since they had to open it at the store to check it was still in there it is considered open box With the same three-year warranty. I asked about the 4500 but they only have them new for about the same price. They are an authorized They are an authorized Denon seller.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So somebody purchased it and then returned it without opening it but since they had to open it at the store to check it was still in there it is considered open box With the same three-year warranty. I asked about the 4500 but they only have them new for about the same price. They are an authorized They are an authorized Denon seller.
Well then I say go for it, but I would like you to know that the 4500 has a theoretical advantage. That is, you can set it to run 7.1.4 and assign the front left and right channel to pre out. In doing so, regardless of how many speakers you actually connect, you will have the front left and front right preamp output disconnected from the corresponding power amp channels input. That would make no difference for you if you don't connect the preamp outputs to external power amps. If you do plan on using an external power amp, especially one that is rated much higher than 200 W, then it may, or still may not matter as it also depends on other factors.

Now you can make your informed decision.:)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Well then I say go for it, but I would like you to know that the 4500 has a theoretical advantage. That is, you can set it to run 7.1.4 and assign the front left and right channel to pre out. In doing so, regardless of how many speakers you actually connect, you will have the front left and front right preamp output disconnected from the corresponding power amp channels input. That would make no difference for you if you don't connect the preamp outputs to external power amps. If you do plan on using an external power amp, especially one that is rated much higher than 200 W, then it may, or still may not matter as it also depends on other factors.

Now you can make your informed decision.:)
I love this deal. Mine came looking like brand new. And it comes with a 3 year warranty. I setup an ADCOM ext. amp on the Front Left and Right with preamp outputs. Runs cool and does a great job - all under $1,000.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I love this deal. Mine came looking like brand new. And it comes with a 3 year warranty. I setup an ADCOM ext. amp on the Front Left and Right with preamp outputs. Runs cool and does a great job - all under $1,000.

As you know I have the near identical 4400, sounds fantastic with movies and music as long as I stick with good quality recordings. I absolutely don't missed the much more expensive AV8801 at all.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
As you know I have the near identical 4400, sounds fantastic with movies and music as long as I stick with good quality recordings. I absolutely don't missed the much more expensive AV8801 at all.
Thats interesting that you had the 8801 and don’t feel like you lost anything using AVR with pre outs. Good to know as I’ve considered buying an AV (Marantz or Yamaha) if they go on sale but I’m afraid it could be a waste. What AMP do you use again or do you just use the AVR now ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats interesting that you had the 8801 and don’t feel like you lost anything using AVR with pre outs. Good to know as I’ve considered buying an AV (Marantz or Yamaha) if they go on sale but I’m afraid it could be a waste. What AMP do you use again or do you just use the AVR now ?
Yes, imo unless you have other reasons such as the look, XLR requirements etc., it will be a waste of money. The Denon AVR-X4400H and even the AVR-X3400H do not leave me feel wanted at all, even for serious music listening when I hooked it up temporary to my Focal 1028 Be that, to me are as revealing as speakers can get at any price, say almost.. All those subjective praise of the so called sound quality in the professional reviews of the 8801, 8802 and now the 8805 were just the typical fluff, hyperbole and to put it kindly, knowing how Placebo works.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis