Replacing tweeters on AR5 towers from 2000

J

Jazzy2020

Audiophyte
AR5 pic. Both of my towers' tweeters are not outputting sound anymore. They just stopped working one day. Mids are ok, but do sound a bit flat to me, even with a center channel AR2C, so using 4K TV speakers too (in this case, it helps!)

Might upgrade to SVS prime pinnacle or Arendal1723 when more funds, and would be willing to sell the AR5s if anyone's interested, message me. But in the meantime..

Anyone comment on the complexity of doing this? I can't seem to find a matching tweeter online, but emailed CM tech support today.

And any Tips on how to get at them? The large vertical-pill-shaped foam doesn't seem to easily pry\budge.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
AR5 pic. Both of my towers' tweeters are not outputting sound anymore. They just stopped working one day. Mids are ok, but do sound a bit flat to me, even with a center channel AR2C, so using 4K TV speakers too (in this case, it helps!)

Might upgrade to SVS prime pinnacle or Arendal1723 when more funds, and would be willing to sell the AR5s if anyone's interested, message me. But in the meantime..

Anyone comment on the complexity of doing this? I can't seem to find a matching tweeter online, but emailed CM tech support today.

And any Tips on how to get at them? The large vertical-pill-shaped foam doesn't seem to easily pry\budge.
Not much known about those speakers. They come from the time when Audiovox bought them and trashed the company. There is sparse info about them. The tweeter is a 1" Titanium dome. So that may be source form Audax. The problem is you just don't know. I fear it is the end of the road for those speakers.

Titanium domes are expensive. You can try a swap with the Audax units. They are $111.00 each.

I suspect you will have to trash that foam ring to get the old tweeters out.

J

Jazzy2020

Audiophyte
Thank you. They are (were) my first towers.. paid around $1600 in 2002. I loved the bevels too.. so symmetrical :D. But it would be great to get something with more midbass now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis