Sony X950G worth it? Or something else?

K

Knightstick

Audiophyte
Sony 55x950g worth the money? Or something else?

I’m looking for a nice tv. I was looking at the x900f for $850 and saw they are no longer available. I have a budget of about $1,000 tops now, which I’m willing to spend if it’s worth it to me. I’m mainly interested in pic quality. I have a shield tv, and a good sound system, so I don’t care about app speed and sound. I’m looking at things and the Hisense 8g and TCL 6 look pretty good on paper but I’ve never really heard of those brands. Is the Sony 950g worth the extra $450 for TCL or $300 for the new Hisense? Those two have some really good specs it seems but I know there’s a reason they’re so cheap. I just want to know I’m making a good decision with the Sony before I pull the trigger. If you guys can give me other options under 1k I’m open to that too. Im going to mostly stream tv in a well lit room, watch movies, some sports (when nfl starts), and very little gaming. I’m really new to this TV stuff and would really appreciate the direction. Thanks in advance

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
If you looking for the best picture LG OLED will be you best bet hands down but not for the bright room you mention. For the bright room Samsung QLED will be my next recommendation. You can find older models on sale probably for around 1k. The best think that you can do is go to a show room and watch the picture quality and make a decision there. Keep in mind that picture quality will not be the same at the show room and at you home. In the show rooms they use a content that is loaded on memory cards or jump drives and is 4k

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Sony 55x950g worth the money? Or something else?

I’m looking for a nice tv. I was looking at the x900f for $850 and saw they are no longer available. I have a budget of about $1,000 tops now, which I’m willing to spend if it’s worth it to me. I’m mainly interested in pic quality. I have a shield tv, and a good sound system, so I don’t care about app speed and sound. I’m looking at things and the Hisense 8g and TCL 6 look pretty good on paper but I’ve never really heard of those brands. Is the Sony 950g worth the extra $450 for TCL or $300 for the new Hisense? Those two have some really good specs it seems but I know there’s a reason they’re so cheap. I just want to know I’m making a good decision with the Sony before I pull the trigger. If you guys can give me other options under 1k I’m open to that too. Im going to mostly stream tv in a well lit room, watch movies, some sports (when nfl starts), and very little gaming. I’m really new to this TV stuff and would really appreciate the direction. Thanks in advance
Yes, Sony will be a better choice and worth it over all the budget brands. They are very accurate of the box, reliable, and have better panels, processors, and motion. The 950G is excellent.

If you want "best", I'd pick the A9G OLED since Panasonic isn't a choice in the US. I prefer Sony over LG for several reasons but they're still a fine choice (for OLED only, not their LCDs).

If you just want bright TVs with good anti glare and reflections, Samsung is good too but they're not accurate for movies and they don't support Dolby Vision.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Vizio PX65-G1. 3000nits plenty bright. Dolby Vision and HDR and HLG to boot. Less than a 1000.00.. looks like all bases covered.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Sony reliability is very good. They 950 is rated very high for color accuracy, brightness and motion handling. I have used Sony pretty much for every TV for a while. The rare exception is for the one above my computer which is a Samsung. The downsides, is like a lot of LED panels, its poor side viewing angle.

I think Visio has excellent TV's as far as specs and picture quality, but most not the best track record in reliability and customer service, which even with the significant price differences as time, I have stayed away from them and TCL.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
If you look at RTings they rank the Vizio 6th in 65in TV's. The other 5 are OLEDS and cost at least twice what the Vizio does. And that's why you get an extended warranty and STILL save money. I was just commenting on the OP's requirements that all.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sony reliability is very good. They 950 is rated very high for color accuracy, brightness and motion handling. I have used Sony pretty much for every TV for a while. The rare exception is for the one above my computer which is a Samsung. The downsides, is like a lot of LED panels, its poor side viewing angle.

I think Visio has excellent TV's as far as specs and picture quality, but most not the best track record in reliability and customer service, which even with the significant price differences as time, I have stayed away from them and TCL.
As @bears_t2 said, if you're buying one of these an extended warranty is usually a good idea. They're pretty cheap now so you aren't breaking the bank.

I only got a Vizio for my living room because it was one of the few 70" TVs on the market and it was cheap. PQ is fine, but my Sony is WAY ahead in terms of PQ.

Would I buy a high end Vizio? Probably not just because of the reasons you said, but for secondary sets I would have no issue. My best display is my plasma and when it dies it's OLED time. LCD is not a tech I'd invest in given what's coming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis