Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
So, I’ve got speaker bug again and I’m demoing a set of RP8000f based on this sites and others reviews. Mind you, I’ve never been a fan of klipsch, So, i figured I’ve got the time to try. Jeez, these things are impressing me. More so than the Polk LSIM 705 I’ve tried and more than my old BW683s2.

I’ve noticed there’s a dip in the frequency from 1.5khz-4khz off axis (i think?) From what the review specs show..... What exactly should i be listening for with this? It doesn’t sound like it’s missing details anywhere. Sounds quite balanced.

Also, I’ve noticed there’s a slight lean back style angle to this speaker. I’m sitting about 15 feet away spread 8 feet apart and notice that when sit back in my couch the midrange slightly eases off, when i sit straight up it seem a little more prominent. Possible to angle these forward a bit with some rubber feet under the rear? Or is what I’m hearing when i sit up farther bloating of the sound?

Never fooled with Klipsch enough to know. Looking for experienced thoughts. Thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As for the off-axis dip, it is hard to say how that could be affecting the sound if you are listening on-axis, since its effects will be a matter of room acoustics. I don't think it will have a major effect on the sound.

As for placing something under the rear feet, there is no harm in doing that if you prefer the sound at a higher angle. Again, it is tough to say what the effect on the response would be because room acoustics are involved. I would just get the sound to how you like it.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
As for the off-axis dip, it is hard to say how that could be affecting the sound if you are listening on-axis, since its effects will be a matter of room acoustics. I don't think it will have a major effect on the sound.

As for placing something under the rear feet, there is no harm in doing that if you prefer the sound at a higher angle. Again, it is tough to say what the effect on the response would be because room acoustics are involved. I would just get the sound to how you like it.
I’ve never owned a speaker that was setup tilted back. All have been flat and level on the floor. I’m assuming Klipsch does this for time aligning woofers to tweeter? Not too sure. Either way, it’s weird that a slight movement changes the tone of a speaker. I’ve never encountered this with previous demos. Maybe past speakers weren’t as good? Again, not sure. Not familiar with Klipsch. They sure do sound good for a 2 way.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just a side note... without any firsthand experience with those speakers...

The front baffle is where the weight of the speaker is... if you tip it forward, you are likely welcoming a situation where the speakers themselves could actually topple forward.
As I am not familiar with the design, I would just urge caution in handling this situation. ;)

A little simple geometry should help you gauge how much tilt is necessary to get you into the sweet spot. If you do lean the speaker forward, I would advise counterbalancing that with some weight affixed the the bottom-back of the cabinet.

This might be overly cautious of me, but physics can be a fickle mistress!

1592020093543.png

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Just a side note... without any firsthand experience with those speakers...

The front baffle is where the weight of the speaker is... if you tip it forward, you are likely welcoming a situation where the speakers themselves could actually topple forward.
As I am not familiar with the design, I would just urge caution in handling this situation. ;)

A little simple geometry should help you gauge how much tilt is necessary to get you into the sweet spot. If you do lean the speaker forward, I would advise counterbalancing that with some weight affixed the the bottom-back of the cabinet.

This might be overly cautious of me, but physics can be a fickle mistress!

View attachment 37058
They’re tilted back a decent amount. The rubber feet i have doesn’t tilt them forward past level. It makes them completely level as tested with a bubble level. I wouldn’t think it would cause a topple, but i have seen stranger things happen. Love the picture :) Thanks for the reply.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They’re tilted back a decent amount. The rubber feet i have doesn’t tilt them forward past level. It makes them completely level as tested with a bubble level. I wouldn’t think it would cause a topple, but i have seen stranger things happen. Love the picture :) Thanks for the reply.
I'm not surprised you like those speakers I loved mine I noticed the same thing with the midrange when changing seating hit its subtle but noticeable you might give that rear tilt to level them a try

I wish I would have thought of that

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I'm not surprised you like those speakers I loved mine I noticed the same thing with the midrange when changing seating hit its subtle but noticeable you might give that rear tilt to level them a try

I wish I would have thought of that
Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed this! I don’t think it makes it sound bad by any means.... Just different.

When you had them? What’d you exchange them for?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed this! I don’t think it makes it sound bad by any means.... Just different.

When you had them? What’d you exchange them for?
The JBL 590's I LOVED them but I like to flip speakers after awhile and try new things but I miss those speakers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The JBL 590's I LOVED them but I like to flip speakers after awhile and try new things but I miss those speakers
How long did you have the Klipsch? And how long for the JBLs, now?
I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts after all this time. :) As I recall, you were pretty blown away with the 590s, enough so to make the change, and then go all in with the 530s for Surrounds....

What's next on your radar? I know you've been talking about RBH and JTR as options. Of course there is the new JBL HDIs. Anything else grabbing your interest these days?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts after all this time. :) As I recall, you were pretty blown away with the 590s, enough so to make the change, and then go all in with the 530s for Surrounds....

What's next on your radar? I know you've been talking about RBH and JTR as options. Of course there is the new JBL HDIs. Anything else grabbing your interest these days?
I had the Klipsch for over 6 months I've had the JBL for a year

In that entire time of 6 months I was not unhappy at all

I like the tonal balance of the Klipsch and the way they sounded on male voices

They had a neutral towards warm midrange I loved and just this meaty thick powerful sound that was awesome

They were great even on crappy recordings

The JBL quicker more articulate bass voices shine but female voices really shine they really win out on the highs quicker more detail more air without coming across as bright

More neutral midrange more just straight neutral I miss the warm meaty tone of the Klipsch but I like the clinical precise sound of the JBL's although they aren't as forgiving on crappy recordings you put crap in your gonna notice it

My future in the theater room is too end game my speakers and your right it's either JBL HDI RBH and or JTR I will just need to decide

On subs I love the RBH top line they have big extension down to 16 Hz more with room gain and they just smash it 20hz and above

I want there passive versions and so I can get my amps out of the subs I think 4 RBH in the theater of the SV N top of the line is just fine for me

I don't care about chasing single digits I know some do I like really good output from 16 Hz and above tho and they fit that bill and are the sexiest looking sub I've ever seen perfect for my open speakers aesthetic in that room

My bedroom is where I like to experiment and I like to go with bargain choices and flip so I can let new members know about lower range options

So far I can vouch for Klipsch and JBL

Im getting fascinated with trying the new monoprice thx towers and speakers that whole lineup and if I do will post an entire thread on doing that.

That would be my next experiment in the bedroom it'll be awhile though due to the fact the my 3 jbl 580 and 2 svs prime towers as surrounds are no slouch and I'm still enjoying them just need to add in subs and heights and I'm good to go but when I do change it up it will probably be the monoprice or the emotiva T+ lineup just to see what they both offer

That's my future lined out right now

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Oh and the JBL 530 are awesome they just require a meaty amp low sensitivity 4 ohms nominal but man you give em juice they are accurate detailed throw out a wide soundstage and really can hit some bass!

I also love about studio 5 lineup this uncanny ability for volume and imaging and audio to not change whether your close up or far way it's almost uncanny really

Whether your close up on the front row back row whatever the sound stage holds really well as does imaging and panning and they don't sound louder closer then they do sitting back it's crazy how they do that

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It would be really cool to see a full Spin with Horizontal and Vertical plots of the 590 to compare to the 8000s.
Based on everything I keep seeing and hearing, I suspect the JBLs are the better speaker.
This is not to detract from your fondness for the Klipsch! Your description leaves me with the impression that the 8000s are somehow coloring the sound a bit.
Please consider that in saying that, I am thinking about the way that B&W speakers have their own Sound. Many like it. This is neither good or bad, necessarily, but just comes down to preference.
I may very well enjoy the Klipsch sound, though I do question their accuracy. Conversely, I did not enjoy the B&W sound and we know the 600 and 700 series to not be very accurate.
:)
Thanks Danzilla!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It would be really cool to see a full Spin with Horizontal and Vertical plots of the 590 to compare to the 8000s.
Based on everything I keep seeing and hearing, I suspect the JBLs are the better speaker.
This is not to detract from your fondness for the Klipsch! Your description leaves me with the impression that the 8000s are somehow coloring the sound a bit.
Please consider that in saying that, I am thinking about the way that B&W speakers have their own Sound. Many like it. This is neither good or bad, necessarily, but just comes down to preference.
I may very well enjoy the Klipsch sound, though I do question their accuracy. Conversely, I did not enjoy the B&W sound and we know the 600 and 700 series to not be very accurate.
:)
Thanks Danzilla!
Totally agree with you on all those points anytime my friend

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I
Oh and the JBL 530 are awesome they just require a meaty amp low sensitivity 4 ohms nominal but man you give em juice they are accurate detailed throw out a wide soundstage and really can hit some bass!

I also love about studio 5 lineup this uncanny ability for volume and imaging and audio to not change whether your close up or far way it's almost uncanny really

Whether your close up on the front row back row whatever the sound stage holds really well as does imaging and panning and they don't sound louder closer then they do sitting back it's crazy how they do that
I’m actually considering doing a sxs comparison of the 8000 vs the prime pinnacle. They rate very highly all over the web.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic

I compared the SVS prime pinnacle against the 8000f and the SVS does the same exact thing when i sit forward. Bloated mid range. I thought maybe the 8000f weren’t right ( angles or placed.)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I had the Klipsch for over 6 months I've had the JBL for a year

In that entire time of 6 months I was not unhappy at all

I like the tonal balance of the Klipsch and the way they sounded on male voices

They had a neutral towards warm midrange I loved and just this meaty thick powerful sound that was awesome

They were great even on crappy recordings

The JBL quicker more articulate bass voices shine but female voices really shine they really win out on the highs quicker more detail more air without coming across as bright

More neutral midrange more just straight neutral I miss the warm meaty tone of the Klipsch but I like the clinical precise sound of the JBL's although they aren't as forgiving on crappy recordings you put crap in your gonna notice it

My future in the theater room is too end game my speakers and your right it's either JBL HDI RBH and or JTR I will just need to decide

On subs I love the RBH top line they have big extension down to 16 Hz more with room gain and they just smash it 20hz and above

I want there passive versions and so I can get my amps out of the subs I think 4 RBH in the theater of the SV N top of the line is just fine for me

I don't care about chasing single digits I know some do I like really good output from 16 Hz and above tho and they fit that bill and are the sexiest looking sub I've ever seen perfect for my open speakers aesthetic in that room

My bedroom is where I like to experiment and I like to go with bargain choices and flip so I can let new members know about lower range options

So far I can vouch for Klipsch and JBL

Im getting fascinated with trying the new monoprice thx towers and speakers that whole lineup and if I do will post an entire thread on doing that.

That would be my next experiment in the bedroom it'll be awhile though due to the fact the my 3 jbl 580 and 2 svs prime towers as surrounds are no slouch and I'm still enjoying them just need to add in subs and heights and I'm good to go but when I do change it up it will probably be the monoprice or the emotiva T+ lineup just to see what they both offer

That's my future lined out right now
TL,DR:
The "port action" was better on the JBL's! :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis