Another Noob with yet another speaker cable question

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I am wiring the speakers for my 5.2 HT system. Due to the open floor plan, the right rear speaker has a run of 42'. I plan on using matched lengths for the front and rear speakers. So, it would be 42' for the rear, 10.75' for the front, and 3' for the center.

I am looking at the SVS SoundPath Ultra and Blue Jeans 5T00UP cables. They are nearly equally priced, however, the SVS cables are aesthetically pleasing. In trying to compare the two, I am confused by the different measurements being provided.

My question is, which is the better cable? Will I get an equal or better performance/product in a better package with SVS?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The SVS is 12 gauge; the Belden is 10 gauge. For the 11' and 3' runs there will be absolutely no difference. Even for the 42' runs the voltage drops will be a fraction of a percentage and nothing to worry about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No reason to use matched lengths, customize away. I can't imagine paying for already built cables myself, easy enough to make your own for less $.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
If looks are not an issue then Belden 6000UE 12 AWG 2C Cable Plenum-rated In-Wall Speaker Wire in a 250ft spool for $167 from Parts Express will save you a large amount of cash compared to the SVS cables. As a bonus you will have enough left over to almost wire your setup again.
I see that Blue Jeans lets you pick your length which would be cheaper than the 250ft spool though.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
If you do not mind a little work then you could pretty up your plain looking cables for pretty cheap actually.
Here is my Parts Express 12ga cl3 rated ugly white cable all dressed up!
center cable 2 small.jpg

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
Thanks for the replies.

I'll read up on making my own cables and see if it is something that I would want to attempt.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replies.

I'll read up on making my own cables and see if it is something that I would want to attempt.
I've never purchased a pre-made speaker cable, and even make some of my own interconnects. One consideration for a speaker cable, beyond basic choice of gauge, is whether you even need something like a banana or spade connector at either end, these are more about convenience of easy connection/disconnection (like if you change gear a lot or move things around etc). A good wire stripper for the insulation will help over trying just using a sharp blade, maybe some small screwdrivers for set screws on a banana plug or soldering gun if you want to go that route. Putting cable pants on for aesthetics can go a couple different ways. Here's a thread about diy with aesthetics in mind. Buying large reels of good 12g wire from Monoprice is what I do to keep costs down (and I don't worry about aesthetics as mostly its out of sight).

Good luck!

ps Always a good read on things speaker wire http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Heya,

I'll also say to just buy a roll of speaker wire and make your own. It's very simple to do. Lots of videos on YouTube. A simple pair of wire strippers costs nothing (you can use a knife even, but strippers are no-frill-works-every-time) and you can get whatever gauge wire you want and whatever interconnects you want (banana termination or whatever you please). They look good as they are. Or you can get sheath and dress them if you really must (usually shrinks with heat, the sheaths you can get). Same output as what you'll buy for many magnitudes more cost.

Sadly most speaker cables are over priced with something approaching zero in terms of difference from you making your own, in terms of function.

Very best,

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have a reel of 12g speaker wire coming in tomorrow from Monoprice. I can't wait to get it! It's the little things. I may leave the banana plugs off this time, but I'm always moving things around and do like the convenience of them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am wiring the speakers for my 5.2 HT system. Due to the open floor plan, the right rear speaker has a run of 42'. I plan on using matched lengths for the front and rear speakers. So, it would be 42' for the rear, 10.75' for the front, and 3' for the center.

I am looking at the SVS SoundPath Ultra and Blue Jeans 5T00UP cables. They are nearly equally priced, however, the SVS cables are aesthetically pleasing. In trying to compare the two, I am confused by the different measurements being provided.

My question is, which is the better cable? Will I get an equal or better performance/product in a better package with SVS?
Save the money and buy Monoprice Choice 12AWG. You can get braided wraps and cable pants from Parts Express. If you want to terminate the Cables in Bananas or Spades, up to you, but cabling should be a no brainer. None of it will affect the sound quality unless you use something like fishing line for a 100' run @ 4 ohms! :p

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I have decided to make my own cables. Here is what I ordered:

cable sheath.jpg
banana plugs.jpg
cable pants.jpg
12-4 cable.jpg

1/2" X 100'. 20pc set. 10 gauge. 12/4 X 100'.

Seems simple enough. I should get everything in about 10 days.

Last edited:
Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
Looks good!
Are you planning on using heat shrink tubing to connect the braided jacket with the cable pants?
I ended up using adhesive lined heat shrink tubing so the braided wrap would not separate from the cable pants.
Electrical tape would also work though may not be as pretty.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I'm not sure. I'll have to see how tight the fit is; it should be close.

I think I will heat shrink the jacket to the cable and have the pants cleanly slid over the jacket.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
I'm not sure. I'll have to see how tight the fit is; it should be close.

I think I will heat shrink the jacket to the cable and have the pants cleanly slid over the jacket.
That sounds like a better plan than how I did mine. Would be nice to have the braided sleeve locked to the cable. You could even get away with electrical tape since it would be hidden.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I finished the cables. Due to the size of the 12/4 cable, I wasn't able to use the main body? of the banana plug. I think they still look good. I was able to slide the pants over the jacket. There's a bit of sweat equity in these. :)

I'd post pics, but I keep getting an error: file to large.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I finished the cables. Due to the size of the 12/4 cable, I wasn't able to use the main body? of the banana plug. I think they still look good. I was able to slide the pants over the jacket. There's a bit of sweat equity in these. :)

I'd post pics, but I keep getting an error: file to large.
Yes generally pictures need to be resized (if you use Windows, the Paint app can do it), or use a photo hosting service and post a link to it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That looks cool. Reminds me of my old toaster cord. Damn thing almost burned my house down. Now, I just fire up the ol’ 3803 if I want a bagel. What exactly is the material used on them?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis