B&W sold to a Silicon Valley start up company

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Vandersteen was at RMAF 2015. I spoke to him briefly, and he was very arrogant!

Speakers did sound good, but I can't do business with someone with that type of attitude towards a potential customer, or even someone that was interested in the gear.
What did he say?

My speakers are the best and that's all I've got to say? :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It just kills me when you look at what the construction necessary to build the SA 8T's, for example, and they still cost LESS!

If their business model can't come in to the 21st century, and they need special rooms to make their speakers sound good, then into the history books they go!
Yea no doubt but RBH doesn't have the name clout of B&W. In high end, you charge what you can get away with based on perception.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What did he say?

My speakers are the best and that's all I've got to say? :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Not what he said, rather his demeaner. Felt like he took a look at me and decided I couldn't possibly afford his gear, so answered questions like I didn't have a clue and he didn't want to waste his time on me.

Kind of like many high end snooty shops.

Maybe I could afford it, but first I have to convince myself of the value. It's all about priorities.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yea no doubt but RBH doesn't have the name clout of B&W. In high end, you charge what you can get away with based on perception.
It's the lack of T-shirts! Just cause you can't afford the speakers, doesn't mean you don't believe in the 'lifestyle'.

Just ask Ferrari....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's the lack of T-shirts! Just cause you can't afford the speakers, doesn't mean you don't believe in the 'lifestyle'.

Just ask Ferrari....
There are two types of people in this world:
  • those that drive Ferrari's
  • those that wear Ferrari T-Shirts
My Ferrari T-Shirt is a large ;)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There are two types of people in the world.

• Those that think there's two types of people in the world.
  • Those that think "it takes all kinds" and we actually have them.
I fall into the latter. And really wish I could afford a Ferrari just so I could buy a Lamborghini. :D

In my past life I was a big cigar aficionado, smoking 4 to 6 hand rolled premium a day. I met a "cult of personality" at a shop one day, in the form of one Rocky Patel. He has some very good products. We had 10 minutes of conversation, 9 of which he extolled the virtues of himself. In the other minute he told me how everything else I enjoyed was crap compared to his stuff.

I made it a point to never buy another cigar with "RP" on the label (nor any of his off-brands.) Glad I quit about 14 months ago and now spend that money on this addiction!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Disclaimer: I have not researched this. However, it reads more like this silicon valley startup is a venture capital comp"any.

I worked for a silicon valley S&P 500 company that a venture capital company managed to acquire 30+% of the outstanding stock and in return got to put someone on the board. The company that did this reads like this startup; a handful of well heeled people and a product line of "things."

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Disclaimer: I have not researched this. However, it reads more like this silicon valley startup is a venture capital comp"any.

I worked for a silicon valley S&P 500 company that a venture capital company managed to acquire 30+% of the outstanding stock and in return got to put someone on the board. The company that did this reads like this startup; a handful of well heeled people and a product line of "things."
Agreed.

The guy is a former Silicon Valley CFO, who now has lots of (too much?) money. For B&W's sake, I hope his ideas don't drive that company under.

For what its worth, Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, bought a large and well known newspaper, The Washington Post. He knew nothing about the business of running a newspaper, but that didn't stop him. So far, he hasn't run it into the ground. And this is a time when all newspapers are loosing subscribers and some are circling the drain.

The entire audio business is similar to newspapers. Audio had its golden age in the 1960s and 70s. Most of the younger generations that have come along since then don't care to spend their money on it. So, it's up to the new owners to try and reverse that trend.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Owning it is one thing. Trying to turn it into something else is another. If they leave it alone and just make sure it is well funded, good things can happen. If they try to turn it into something "new" just using the name, bad things are more likely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some interesting comments by Patrick Butler of B&W North America (his first post is #56) over in the AVS thread.

pazalaza

pazalaza

Audiophyte
The reason is obvious... Compete with Devialet in the wifi/wireless "high end" audio

CF: Devialet Phantom

Devialet came out of nowhere with brilliantly designed product and aggressive marketing
That's the future of audio...majority of People don't bother anymore buying sources + pre-amp / amp + loudspeakers. What they want is simplistic gear with design. The kind you just paired with your laptop on the go, providing bass that's it.

Sorry for the language i'm french

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
The reason is obvious... Compete with Devialet in the wifi/wireless "high end" audio

CF: Devialet Phantom

Devialet came out of nowhere with brilliantly designed product and aggressive marketing
That's the future of audio...majority of People don't bother anymore buying sources + pre-amp / amp + loudspeakers. What they want is simplistic gear with design. The kind you just paired with your laptop on the go, providing bass that's it.

Sorry for the language i'm french
Haha, I wanted to respond to this comment because I completely agree, except for the part of it being obvious but eh… I guess the french guys here are defending the french tech.

I do think Devialet's managed something really interesting and if EVA is indeed going into the "internet of things" (I hate that expression and I work in tech in Sillicon Valley), it makes sense. Audio is a big deal for home integration and starting from the ground up an audio business is tricky, buying engineers, a platform, a brand (and a really great brand IMO), seems like a great move if you can afford it.

Another thing to note is that B&W's CEO is becoming CEO of the merged company, it's not like B&W is being swallowed whole, the head stays the same, I think that's an important aspect of this transaction.

Now that I've had a couple of days to think about it, I've convinced myself that this is a very interesting move and I'm excited to see what comes out of it.

Alex.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Another thing to note is that B&W's CEO is becoming CEO of the merged company, it's not like B&W is being swallowed whole, the head stays the same, I think that's an important aspect of this transaction.
An "important aspect", but not necessarily an indication of strategy. My old very large, worldwide, massive reputation and name recognition company was bought by another company unknown outside of China. The new owners kept our CEO and all exec mgmt... for a while.

The new owners recognized they did not understand how to run a mammoth world-wide company. They kept our execs and added their folks under them. Over a few years, as their folks learned enough, our old execs slowly began to be replaced.

Fortunately, the new owners were playing a long game. They were/are in no hurry to make changes. But the strategy was clear to those who were paying attention. If the new B&W owners have such a plan, and are as smart, they will choose good and capable people, and be sure those people are ready before putting them in charge.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
For what its worth, Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, bought a large and well known newspaper, The Washington Post. He knew nothing about the business of running a newspaper, but that didn't stop him. So far, he hasn't run it into the ground. And this is a time when all newspapers are loosing subscribers and some are circling the drain.

Bezos needs to improve Amazon instead of flushing capital down the crapper on a newspaper which is used to line the bottom of a birdcage.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Vandersteen was at RMAF 2015. I spoke to him briefly, and he was very arrogant!

Speakers did sound good, but I can't do business with someone with that type of attitude towards a potential customer, or even someone that was interested in the gear.
You will, and you'll like it! :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Joe Atkins is taking control of legendary speaker company Bowers and Wilkins back from silicon valley startup EVA Automation. For audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts alike, the change in ownership is likely a good thing, as Atkins’s team will bring back brand stability after cauterizing the wounds caused by Eva’s long-shot idea of turning an established speaker brand into a tech start-up. What's next for Bowers & Wilkins? Read on to find out.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Joe Atkins is taking control of legendary speaker company Bowers and Wilkins back from silicon valley startup EVA Automation. For audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts alike, the change in ownership is likely a good thing, as Atkins’s team will bring back brand stability after cauterizing the wounds caused by Eva’s long-shot idea of turning an established speaker brand into a tech start-up. What's next for Bowers & Wilkins? Read on to find out.

Lucky that Joe was there to pick up the ball. You could see this coming a mile off. Just one more example of clown who know nothing about a business they purchase and then making a spectacle of themselves.

B & W need to hunker down in Worthing Sussex and make a game plan. It is true that B & W make some of the finest speakers around, but unfortunately they cynically make quite a few towards the bottom of the line that are not very good and offer poor value for money.

They need to concentrate on making every speaker they make best in class. That does not mean shoddy work and poor cabinets, it means really taking a good look at the essence of good drivers, using as few as possible that match. Then you need very simple crossovers, that need no more then three components say. That is how you get the cost down and deliver value for money. That is how you build brand loyalty and customers returning to up grade. Making lousy stuff at the lower end and thinking that will make people upgrade sooner is not good business and cynical.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis