Yeah.. I'm asking this question - In Wall Choices

C

craines76

Audiophyte
OK... So I'm going to ask this question. I'm sure it has been debated before, and folks will send me links to previous conversations, but I'm special... </sarcasm>

I'm a DIY person, smart about a lot of things, but out of the AV game since I lived near Crutchfield in the 90's. I built a new house, and have a large 20 x 18 listening area (front wall for tv and L/R/C is 20). I am looking for an in-wall setup for L/R, rears in ceiling, sub will be floor standing, and center will be traditional. To explain the center problem, the builder and the pre-wire/home theater company don't communicate, and the main stack runs perfectly down the center of the 20 ft wall... I know.. it blows, but center is the most important anyways.

So, I've been deep into research for months, and can't make a decision. I've looked at everything from Polk LS, to Polk, to Martin Logan, to Revel, KEF, etc.

If you had ~2500 to buy the speakers and sub, what would you do?

Again:
  • In wall L/R
  • Center is traditional
  • Sub is floor standing/traditional
  • Rears are in ceiling
Bring it on...

Attachments

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
OK... So I'm going to ask this question. I'm sure it has been debated before, and folks will send me links to previous conversations, but I'm special... </sarcasm>

I'm a DIY person, smart about a lot of things, but out of the AV game since I lived near Crutchfield in the 90's. I built a new house, and have a large 20 x 18 listening area (front wall for tv and L/R/C is 20). I am looking for an in-wall setup for L/R, rears in ceiling, sub will be floor standing, and center will be traditional. To explain the center problem, the builder and the pre-wire/home theater company don't communicate, and the main stack runs perfectly down the center of the 20 ft wall... I know.. it blows, but center is the most important anyways.

So, I've been deep into research for months, and can't make a decision. I've looked at everything from Polk LS, to Polk, to Martin Logan, to Revel, KEF, etc.

If you had ~2500 to buy the speakers and sub, what would you do?

Again:
  • In wall L/R
  • Center is traditional
  • Sub is floor standing/traditional
  • Rears are in ceiling
Bring it on...
$2500 will get you something decent. Not high end by any means. But it will get you into some entry level speakers and subwoofer. Are you sold on In-walls? will you look at towers, bookshelf? I'm an in-wall guy, but I won't recommend anything under $1000/speaker. Quality under $1000 Is just not there when it comes to in-walls. In my opinion.

Plenty to choose from if you wanted to do towers or bookshelf. If you looked in the $500/speaker price range to get your LCR. I wouldn't do two in-walls and 1 normal non-in-wall center. If you can't do a center in-wall I think you should stay away from in-walls all together.

For sub, look at SVS, HSU for very nice quality and reasonable prices and return policies. I think you can find an PB2000 sub for under $700.

Also, don't forget your AVR. Right now the hot one on these forums is the Denon x3600H. You can sometimes find it under $1000.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well this is a tough one. That’s a pretty good sized space. I’m guessing you’ll be sitting somewhere around 16’ away from the mains. It will take some very nice ones to convey any dynamics at that distance, and for that size space,(assuming 8’ ceiling, 2880cuft) at least one quality 15” sub. HSU is the value leader imo and you can get a nice pair for about 1500. SVS also has the Pc/Pb2000 for 699ea in the outlet.
So.....is 2500 the absolute limit? Or is there a little room? Also, are in room speakers out of the question?

Btw, nice head.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you are a DIY guy, have you considered building your speakers?

I have just built this in wall system. You can come out in budget. It has an in wall sub of unique design also. It uses a 10" driver, but fills a large space easily and has good measured response to 20 Hz. That is because it is a unique transmission line sub.

I have all measurements. I'm certain that there is absolutely nothing comparable to this on the commercial market. It is not just good for in wall, but a really good speaker system.

The tweeter for the center is NLA, but I have found a SEAS unit, that I can easily make a mod to the crossover for.

This is a powerful speaker system and will fill your space and more without breaking a sweat. My wife in particular has really enjoyed the system. I have caught her really driving it hard!

The design is preserved in the computer of the C & C machine at A & K cabinets at Albany MN. The owner has told me he can make the boards available as a flat pack or the completed cabinets to anyone who wants to build this.

There are limitations to an in wall design, as there are reflections from the wall. However this system sounds very good. In particular speech is very clear and natural.

I think you would build this in budget, at least the front three. You can add more of the two ways as you want for surrounds and rear backs. You can add another sub if you want, but I doubt that would be necessary,.

C

craines76

Audiophyte
Well this is a tough one. That’s a pretty good sized space. I’m guessing you’ll be sitting somewhere around 16’ away from the mains. It will take some very nice ones to convey any dynamics at that distance, and for that size space,(assuming 8’ ceiling, 2880cuft) at least one quality 15” sub. HSU is the value leader imo and you can get a nice pair for about 1500. SVS also has the Pc/Pb2000 for 699ea in the outlet.
So.....is 2500 the absolute limit? Or is there a little room? Also, are in room speakers out of the question?

Btw, nice head.
Orange amps are the best...

Ceilings are 9 Ft... 2500 is just something I want to stay around.. can go up a bit. Yes... in wall was the negotiation agreed with the wife.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In-walls/in-ceiling - I would go Revel, KEF, and RBH.

I would go with larger drivers (like 8") in general.

Last edited:
C

craines76

Audiophyte
In-walls/in-ceiling - I would go Revel, KEF, and RBH.

I would go with larger drivers (like 8") in general.
So would you go with 2 way's with 8" drivers + tweeter over the Dual 5 inch/ dual 6 inch for L/R?

C

craines76

Audiophyte
If you are a DIY guy, have you considered building your speakers?

I have just built this in wall system. You can come out in budget. It has an in wall sub of unique design also. It uses a 10" driver, but fills a large space easily and has good measured response to 20 Hz. That is because it is a unique transmission line sub.

I have all measurements. I'm certain that there is absolutely nothing comparable to this on the commercial market. It is not just good for in wall, but a really good speaker system.

The tweeter for the center is NLA, but I have found a SEAS unit, that I can easily make a mod to the crossover for.

This is a powerful speaker system and will fill your space and more without breaking a sweat. My wife in particular has really enjoyed the system. I have caught her really driving it hard!

The design is preserved in the computer of the C & C machine at A & K cabinets at Albany MN. The owner has told me he can make the boards available as a flat pack or the completed cabinets to anyone who wants to build this.

There are limitations to an in wall design, as there are reflections from the wall. However this system sounds very good. In particular speech is very clear and natural.

I think you would build this in budget, at least the front three. You can add more of the two ways as you want for surrounds and rear backs. You can add another sub if you want, but I doubt that would be necessary,.
A little out of my depth to pull that off, but cool setup!

C

craines76

Audiophyte
How about this setup for L/R/C + Sub? Will this be enough for the space?

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can say this much. Focal makes some very nice speakers. But forget about the sunfire. Overpriced, underperfomed.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What about Monoprices monolith thx certified in wall monolith speakers they are about the only thing that will come close to the ops budget and from what I understand they are pretty well designed

Shady reviewed the floor standing models and gave them a good very good review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What's even better if you can't do an in wall center there floor standing version off these should have a center channel that would timber match the in walls are be pretty close

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Then add in the right subs and voila your good to go!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Actually I think they'll come in the ops budget just he'll need to go extra for the subs

C

craines76

Audiophyte
What's the deal with Monoprice.. they are so cheap they can't be good, at least what I see on Amazon... They remind me of the Pyle car amps of the 90's 2000's

C

craines76

Audiophyte
I can say this much. Focal makes some very nice speakers. But forget about the sunfire. Overpriced, underperfomed.
Appreciate the feedback.. a buddy of mine had a Sunfire from the late 90's.. but he had .com money and I think it was $3000+... it was wild just to see that thing work...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis